Will Stanford rescind me?

Hi!

I was admitted to Stanford REA this past fall, and more recently got an email from the admissions office, expressing concern about the grades on my midyear transcript. I had received 2 Bs (one in a math class I’m receiving credit for through a local uni., the other an AP class).

For context, I applied to Stanford with the intention of studying English and Political Science (neither class lie in these fields, one being a multivariable calc. course, the other being a Spanish class. If it matters, Stanford mentioned in their admission letter that they expected good performance in my “area of study.”) Prior to my senior year, I had straight As excluding a B I’d received during my second semester of junior year in Calc BC.

I would like to say I’m doing fine now, but, unfortunately, I think I’m on track to getting a B/B+ for that same math class this semester. This would result in a second-semester senior year grade that is the same as my second-semester junior year grade; one B/B+, remaining As.

I’m honestly a little terrified, because I only applied to one other college that just waitlisted me (since I got into Stanford early), and am worried that I won’t really have anywhere to go if they actually end up rescinding me. Does anybody have any thoughts/recommended courses of action? I’m thinking of emailing them back and asking for clarification on what a “full recovery” would constitute, because I don’t think I can really do anything major atm grade-wise for the one class I’ll probably get a B in this deep in the semester.

Honestly, if they rescind your offer after 2 B’s in those classes which are not even in your field of study then I would not want to be going there anyway. I would try not to stress and assume it’s just a scare tactic but that is a pretty crappy thing to do.

I recall Columbia doing something like that to a girl at our school who was bombing AP CS but in her case she was getting a C and they told her she needed to get it up or she was being deferred to Spring admit. I think it worked out but I remember how upset she was when it happened.

Just hang in there.

2 Likes

Yes, get it cleared up so you are not stressing about it. Post back when you find out in case you need more advice!

1 Like

^^^This. Surprising too. I live and work in the “neighborhood” and I’ve never heard of something like it before.

1 Like

I would reply to clarify the specific expectations/requirements and risks.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of an issue with B grades. Very surprising.

1 Like

So much for grace in the setting of online school during a pandemic.

1 Like

Right? I just don’t get what some of these schools are doing or why they feel they need to do it.

2 Likes

They say they understand the stress these kids are under but then they pull this - really 2 B’s in Multivariate Calculus and AP Spanish - really… I know they aren’t sending the same letter to their recruited football players. Just leaves a bad impression to me.

You are very unlikely to be rescinded with two Bs, even for the full year. They just don’t want you to slide further.

1 Like

This happened to my D’s friend in 2018. Scare tactic. She was fine, nothing was rescinded and she’s currently a 3rd yr at Stanford.