What trouble?
IIRC they didn’t have the right battery and something else - I forget. It was a few weeks ago.
The guy mentioned some challenge with jumping a Tesla battery, but it was a random conversation because I was out walking with my neighbor and we happened upon a guy in a AAA mobile battery van and I just happened to ask him. Maybe if I stop in to the AAA location near my house. They’ll give me a different answer
I have had a nail removal and repair done on my run flat tires numerous times without problems. I seem to be a magnet for nails.
The ride is indeed stiffer though.
Wrong. Run flats can be repaired! Our pax side front tire has been repaired three times (thanks, construction zone that can’t be driven around). That of course depends on the nature of the damage. A simple puncture vs a large tear caused by driving on it too fast, too far. So either your tire was quite damaged or the tire shop wanted to sell you a new set. I smell a rat.
Re: 12v battery in Teslas. Like any 12v batteries, these have limited lifespans and have to be replaced. The car will give a warning ahead of the time - take it seriously. Why some indie shops and AAA don’t want to mess with them? These friggin’ batteries are located deep in the car and take some skill and time to get to. Tesla will send a tech to your place to do the replacement.
Per my reading on other forums, some places will repair run flats and others won’t. It might be that the kind of damage is also a factor.
In my experience, the dealer will tell you to replace the tire.
I have had repairs done at the gas station on the corner. $15 and takes two minutes. We are on a first name basis. ![]()
And yes the nail needs to be in the tread, not the sidewall. But I believe that is true for all puncture repairs.
The Tesla Model 3 and Y 12V lead acid batteries (before they switched to lithium ion 12V batteries) were just ordinary 51R size batteries, but with a fitting for a vent hose. Chatter on Tesla forums indicates that Tesla is by far the cheapest place to get them (something like $85, plus installation if you have them do it, compared to ~$200 elsewhere for just the battery).
The Model 3 and Y 12V batteries are under a cover under the frunk lid, so not that much harder to reach than most other cars. For a hard to replace 12V battery, look up the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Journey.
This is correct. Tires, run flats too, cannot be repaired if punctured in the sidewall.
I’ve replaced mine once. But it was 3 years ago and I worry it will die again. When the warning comes you don’t know if t you have an hour, a day , a week or more before it will die. Have to stop driving immediately.
The usual recommendation on Tesla forums is to turn on Sentry Mode if the low voltage battery alert comes up and keep it on until replacing it. Sentry Mode keeps the car turned on, which uses the main battery to keep the low voltage system voltage up. But it consumes a lot of energy, so replace the low voltage battery as soon as possible.
Interesting. Hadn’t heard that. I would love to know if they can somehow test the life/viability of the current 12V?
The software in the car is supposed to detect a weak low voltage battery and give the warning as well as turn the car on more frequently to check and recharge the low voltage battery in that case. I.e. it is supposed to do exactly what you are asking for above. But whether it always works is a different question entirely (although Tesla forum chatter indicates that it does work at least some of the time, which is better than in many other cars where there is no warning at all).
The app tells me my big battery is fine. The low 12v warning comes on the screen when time is short. I haven’t seen a way to get a read on the life of my 12v. we’re not talking about leaving the car garaged and not driven for a long period of time (though interesting thought - maybe should remotely start it and turn it off when in a long holiday away…..)
is there a measurement somewhere that will tell me the current life of my 12v? Before all those screen alerts start??
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/testing-the-health-of-12v-battery.286387/ is a thread on a Tesla forum about your low voltage battery question.
Saw a Lucid Gravity yesterday at a local mall and loved the looks of it. Unfortunately, it might be a little too long for the garage bay that houses our aging X. The other, longer bay is where our Fed the Truck lives… so not ready to pull the check book out yet. Mr. says he can rearrange the cabinetry if needed. I’d give the good old X a couple more years… but that Gravity is so beautiful.
I’m very happy owning an electric car, but sometimes you need something different. Try doing this with a Cybertruck.
Our Fed will easily handle that! Cyberdumpster - no way!! ![]()

