Would I do well at a top-tier university?

<p>I am debating which reach schools to apply to. I currently have a list of 11 schools but I want to bring the number down a LOT. I question whether I would do well at a top-tier university because I am severely bipolar and I am still recovering from it. Even the smallest amount of stress can influence a manic or depressive episode and that scares me. I have already been accepted to the University of Pittsburgh and I am wondering if I should just stop applying to schools because Pitt is a great school but it's not cut throat and it is a good match for me. What are your opinions?</p>

<p>My list of reach schools are (in no particular order):
Brown
Yale
Stanford
William and Mary
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Carnegie Mellon
Vanderbilt
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I think that's something you'd need to reflect on with a counselor. Any school will probably provide some level of stress/anxiety. The only thing I would say is that at a top tier school, the probability of that stress coming from academics is higher.</p>

<p>hello, i am also mentally ill, go to a top tier school, and took two years off to go to a fourth tier school. honestly, it was not much less stressful than the top tier school. unless you take complete BS classes you still have to cover new material and do homework sets. if you're doing well mentally you'll probably do well at either school and if you're doing poorly you're probably do badly at either school. (well, unless you actually have a weak academic background, but i'd let the admissions officers make that judgment before you do.) so i would definitely say apply to the reach schools. you can always transfer downwards later.</p>

<p>also, maybe it's just the schools i went to, but the good school i went to came with better health insurance and support services than the bad school. the people there were also much more lenient about giving out extensions and letting me drop classes later in the term. it may be to your advantage to check out which schools have good support networks before making your decision.</p>

<p>On a related note. You should consider getting some prescribed meds for your bi polar. You say your are "recovering" but if you were actually diagnosed with bi polar you can't just get over it or wait it out. Its a mental disease no ifs ands or buts. </p>

<p>Consider seeing a shrink. Going to those kinds of schools will give you a huge, i mean HUGE sense of stress. Going with an undiagnosed or untreated mental disease like bi-polar could be flat out traumatic. Just trying to be real with you man, Yale ain't no joke.</p>

<p>Yeah I'm already on medicine and seeing a shrink. Thanks though...</p>

<p>You're going to find stress at any school you go to.</p>

<p>Even if you do meet stress, that is why schools offer counseling services on campus. You are welcome to use them whenever things get tough to help keep you on track. I don't think you should let your suffering dictate what school you go to. I had severe depression and anxiety and I found that the more immersed I was in my studies, the fewer problems I had. The set-backs were rough on occasion, but if you are confident in your abilities you will push through. Good luck!</p>

<p>Are there schools that have more resources for mental illness then others? Are private schools more accommodating than public schools?</p>

<p>Every 4-year school should have some kind of counseling service. I assume larger schools will staff more counselors than smaller ones, but many of these are graduate students doing counseling internships. Each school should have at least one licensed psychologist overseeing the interns. You would really have to look into each individual school to see what they offer. Their student services/counseling services pages usually provide some information on what they can treat and how they treat.</p>

<p>As someone with ADD attending a "top-tier" school in my state, I can say you will not succeed (or be INCREDIBLY UNHAPPY) UNLESS you are COMMITTED to curing your bipolar by means other than drugs (or in addition to drugs). But I'm willing to wager you would be unhappy at ANY CONVENTIONAL UNIVERSITY SETTING, top-tier, private or public.</p>

<p>That is my personal opinion. You can look into it more. You can dismiss what I say entirely. This is from my experience as a student who had "ADD" & "Depression". I won't get into it more unless you ask.</p>

<p>P.S. I'm lucky to say that my school actually has study abroad programs and other campuses that are "unconventional" and if it were not for using those programs and getting off the main campus, I would probably have dropped out.</p>

<p>^Agreed with the above. I have ADD, and it's exponentially harder for me to keep myself in line than other kids do. Organization is a nightmare. I'm constantly late, missing homework, losing things, prematurely throwing out papers because I cannot organize them. It takes a great amount of effort that goes beyond merely taking pills (I'm actually not using any pills), but if my grades right now are any indication, my efforts are paying off. Read Cal Newport's books. They're not written for LD/mentally ill students but the study tips he uses do work wonders.</p>