Would I get kicked out of college if I fight with another student?

<p>This morning I was waiting in line in the dining hall and the guy behind me (a preppy) told me "move, loser" in a very scornful manner, apparently unconcerned of any consequences his insulting me could cause him. I don't know him personally, but I know that he is an undergraduate student and that he lives in my dorm.</p>

<p>What would happen to me, both inside and outside the school, if the next time a fellow student insults me in such a contemptuous and shameless manner, I give him what he asked for?</p>

<p>To answer your original question, yes, it is possible. I'd suggest you find more effective and grown-up ways to handle the situation. You're not in middle school anymore, and I can think of very few situations where "giving them what they ask for" is the most effective way to handle a situation like this, even if you ARE dealing with a complete and total jerk.</p>

<p>I don't believe you'd get kicked out if it was a first behavioral offense. You will be more than reprimanded, however, especially in this modern world. Also, the specific school you attend may affect the outcome of such a situation. Unfortunately I'd have to say it's not in your best interests to give them what they deserve. The satisfaction of decking a random, jerky student won't last long compared to the consequences. Go take it out on the gym's punching bag. </p>

<p>That said, if you must do something, be clever about it and hit them figuratively where it hurts. If it seems random, just ignore it, but if a specific person is becoming a problem, then yeah.</p>

<p>Yes, you absolutely can get kicked out for that kind of behavior. And it is a very immature way to deal with problems. The guy was a jerk, but you can't go around assaulting people for verbally insulting you. Even if you were not in school, it would be a terrible idea. He could press assault charges against you.</p>

<p>That, and based on what you've posted, you seem like the type of person to get your ass kicked.</p>

<p>Probably not the best idea to go picking fights in that situation.</p>

<p>^^ </p>

<p>I second that.</p>

<p>Challenge him on his word usage and ask him what--exactly--qualifies you as a "loser." Chances are he'll be at a loss for words, thus becoming the loser he's accusing you to be. Words mean things. Demand justification.</p>

<p>No one has mentioned potential adult criminal charges. </p>

<p>PMVD, if you are over 18, you WILL be charged as an adult, and potentially convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony. Getting kicked out of school is probably all but guaranteed.</p>

<p>Hopefully, you can get through the semester and transfer or change housing.</p>

<p>Regarding a previous thread you started, it may now actually be a good idea to contact a dean or someone with the authority to take disciplinary action or advise students to stop bothering you. Obviously you are being bullied or have acquired a very poor reputation.</p>

<p>Here we go again. CC members: Do not engage in these threads. View the history of the threads by the OP.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Challenge him on his word usage and ask him what--exactly--qualifies you as a "loser."

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Ding! Mr. Berry has the correct answer and has won today's game.</p>

<p>I learned that the first person who threw an insult instead of a rock was considered a genius. If one can win without even an insult, one is off the charts brilliant.</p>

<p>pmvd, if you're not going to listen, I hope someone else will.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Ding! Mr. Berry has the correct answer and has won today's game.</p>

<p>I learned that the first person who threw an insult instead of a rock was considered a genius. If one can win without even an insult, one is off the charts brilliant.</p>

<p>pmvd, if you're not going to listen, I hope someone else will.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>While I agree with the general idea of your advice and Dave_Berry's, I think that the suggested plan of action is very risky and could easily backfire. Given my high verbal abilities and quick wit, I mean, my lack of those two qualities, I don't think I could pull it off so easily. I am not being negative, I am not ignoring anyone's advice, I am simply being realistic and cautious, for my own sake.</p>

<p>At the point, all I can think of is giving them a big smile and showing them love, showing them that I am above their insults, that I can see their stupidity, and that I forgive them for said stupidity because I understand that they are, after all, humans.</p>

<p>That sounds pretty good, but it would be just an act. Deep inside I would still feel hurt.</p>

<p>punch him in the face or lose your dignity and mojo forever.</p>

<p>what an ass</p>

<p>well how did you end up handling the situation?</p>

<p>Just say "Grow up."</p>

<p>he's not worth your college degree (and tuition for that matter)</p>

<p>if you're gonna do anything physical, I suggest at least take it FARR off the campus.</p>

<p>You idiots, you realize he's making this all up right? His last pity-whoring thread finally died so he started a new one. He's probably "pleasing" himself to all of your replies and then replies back saying how he won't/can't follow advice to keep you guys going.</p>

<p>Maybe this guy calls everyone losers - maybe it's not just the OP's reputation or lack thereof. Don't take it personally and don't deck him, but especially don't be a pushover.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Maybe this guy calls everyone losers - maybe it's not just the OP's reputation or lack thereof. Don't take it personally and don't deck him, but especially don't be a pushover.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I doubt it. Someone would have beaten him up and he probably would have learned his lesson by now.</p>

<p>I doubt so. The average person does not get so enraged by being called a loser that they physically attack everyone who does.</p>

<p>Heck, look at my sn. Being called a loser doesn't bother me. </p>

<p>Besides, why should this guy's opinion matter that much?</p>