Yale and WashU Or OU?

<p>I have a very interesting situation. I am going to be a senior next year so I am constantly thinking about college. I play football and am being heavily recruited by Yale and Wash U. I am an average student, 3.8 UW GPA and 30 ACT. The opportunity to go to an Ivy or WashU and play football is amazing... But I'm no NFL player so college is very important. I want to be a doctor. I also have this amazing opportunity through the University of Oklahoma to enroll in their medical humanities program. This program is through the honors college and if I keep above a 3.5 GPA, I get automatic admission to OU Medical School. I have a friend who went to harvard to play football and one who went to OU. The harvard friend graduated with a 3.0 GPA and was denied to OU Medical. The friend who went to OU graduated with a really high GPA and was excepted to OU Med. I have 2 amazing opportunities in front of me... Which would you guys take?</p>

<p>I know that I am new, but I would really like this forums input. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Are you on track to become a National Merit Finalist? If so, OU will take very good care of you.</p>

<p>I'd go with OU if you feel confident that you want to go the medical route.</p>

<p>Will you play football at both places? Do you want to play football in College?</p>

<p>Yes I would play football at either Yale or WashU, but not OU. I could not play Big 12 football. And I'm pretty sure about the medical route.</p>

<p>Well I think the much bigger decision, then, is whether you want to play football in College. If you really like football, and you'd be excited to be a college player, Yale would be an awesome place to play. You'd get to participate in the original rivalry, Harvard-Yale, the two teams that played the first game of modern football ever. They call it "The Game" and while its not Big 12 Football, I'd think it would be an awesome experience if you really love football.</p>

<p>The only other major factors are your fit in with the community at those schools (I'm sure WashU and Yale would bring you in for visits if you asked) and the cost of the schools.</p>

<p>WashU hasn't been talked about enough. It's an excellent pre-med school if I'm not mistaken, and because it's d3 athletics, its not as time consuming as it would be at Yale, so there will blenty of time to focus on your academics. WashU would be my choice here</p>

<p>Washu is one of the 5 best pre med schools in the nation. If you really want to play football, go there.</p>

<p>"You'd get to participate in the original rivalry, Harvard-Yale, the two teams that played the first game of modern football ever."</p>

<p>That's not true. First ever collegiate football game was played between Rutgers and Princeton. Well, I doubt it pertains to your query in anyway.</p>

<p>I think you should go with Yale/WashU. Yale has an excellent pre med program (probs the best in the country) and football + pre med track is manageable. Not easy, obviously but manageable (Myron Rolles did it ;)).</p>

<p>Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Apply to all 3, see what happens, and assess your options next April.</p>

<p>College football at any level requires a huge time commitment. I've also been surprised over the years to hear on college football broadcasts what GPA qualifies for Academic All-American status amont football players. </p>

<p>I've also read a lot of news articles in the past year talking about former college players suffering from post-concussion syndrome.</p>

<p>I would think seriously about the offer from OU if I were you.</p>

<p>Go to Yale. It's an unsurpassed undergraduate education, and if you do decently you will have a world of opportunity at your feet.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies! I love football and would love the opportunity to play in college, but I realize that after college, football isn't going to take me anywhere. I'm taking a visit to Yale and WashU at the end of the month, so I'm really excited about everything.</p>

<p>
[quote]
"You'd get to participate in the original rivalry, Harvard-Yale, the two teams that played the first game of modern football ever."</p>

<p>That's not true. First ever collegiate football game was played between Rutgers and Princeton.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I knew someone was going to try to make that claim. "My friend told me--it must be true!"</p>

<p>I guess that game was reasonably similar to modern football. Except that each team got to use 25 players. And except that they weren't allowed to throw or carry the ball--which was round. And except that there weren't any downs, but it was instead constant action. And instead of trying to score touchdowns, they had to kick the ball into their opponents' goal.</p>

<p>So actually, absolutely nothing like football in any possible imagination of the sport. I have no clue why people insist this was "the first football game" except that they decided to call it "football" at the time.</p>

<p>In reality, there were two groups of teams working on football rules. Harvard and McGill were playing with an oblong ball (a rugby ball) and scoring touchdowns (the earliest form of the modern game), and the Yale-Princeton-Rutgers group was playing a more soccer-based game. Finally, Yale agreed to play Harvard with Harvard's rules and lost, but all the other schools realized that scoring touchdowns and playing with the oblong ball was better--setting the foundation for the future of the sport. The Harvard-Yale game was the point at which the game they were calling "football" went from a contact soccer game to a modern football game.</p>

<p>MSauce, football has evolved since its creation.</p>

<p>Someone had to sow the seeds in order for the tree to grow....</p>

<p>Rutgers-Princeton sow the seed in 1869
Harvard-McGill grew on it in 1874</p>

<p>So, yes I agree Harvard-McGill played first game similar to modern football. However, the first football game between any two colleges was between Rutgers and Princeton. Hence, it is considered the first and the birth of collegiate football.</p>

<p>And they called it football because it was based on the real "football" which we now call as soccer.</p>

<p>They didn't sow any seeds. They played a game absolutely nothing like football in any way. Simply saying "it was the first football game" does not make it so. They played soccer with 25 people.</p>

<p>^^^^^^</p>

<p>Agreed.</p>

<p>I would go to Yale/WashU, the combination of getting to play football and going to a school with great academics is the perfect combination (I prefer Wash U out of those 2 schools though but Harvard-Yale is a great rivalry)</p>

<p>I think if you are 100% committed to studying medicine then given how very, very difficult med school admissions can be (even coming from Yale or WashU.) I think you might want to take a "bird in the hand" view on this and take OU with the guaranteed med school admission. </p>

<p>Yale can't guarantee you a med school admit so even though a Yale degree carries a lot of weight, it will not do you any good if you can't get into med school.</p>

<p>WashU. does have a medical scholars program, you might want to see if you can get into that if WashU. interests you.</p>

<p>^ completely agree with that. ou guaranteed med. you can play football for fun and have your life set and not have to worry about applying to med school later</p>