Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rejected for ME

Replies to: Rejected for ME

• jbournejbourne Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    Received official rejection letter in the mail today for mechanical engineering. Was hoping the online status was temporary! Time to move on to other boards.....
  • andyhb85andyhb85 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    Got the official rejection letter today as well. 4,000 openings with 41000 applicants! <10% transfer acceptance this year. wow.
  • Socal70Socal70 Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    ^^That's probably how many spots they plan to enroll in the Fall, not the number of people accepted.
  • tornadostornados Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    I have a question for those that got rejections. Did your status on the Portal ever change or did you get the letter first?
  • andyhb85andyhb85 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    Yeah my status changed on the portal. Its the number of people they expect to enroll but how many do they actually accept? even if they accept twice that number its still less than 20% acceptance lol
    I was asking about the Portal because I am checking it about once an hour. I don't know if I need to bother checking it at all, if the rejections are only coming by mail and the status is not ever changed (or changed after the fact) on the Portal.
  • jbournejbourne Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    tornados - my status changed a week or two ago - from 'not yet determined' to 'you have not been selected for admission', ... so knew the reject letter was coming. Good luck to you.
    Thank you jbourne for the information. I am praying for this one.
  • blablaboi1blablaboi1 Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    Holy crap!
    4000 accepted out 41000 applicants. Thats about 9.75% acceptance rate!

Oh well, I'm done with Cal poly.... screw this lol
  • Cali TrumpetCali Trumpet Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    ^No, its not. There is a yield rate. Usually it is relatively high.
  • ThatsWutSheSaidThatsWutSheSaid Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    waitlisted (aka rejection)
    CC business transfer
    3.8 gpa
    I talked to admissions for a while today and they said that it's very unlikely they'll be accepting off the waitlist this fall due to higher numbers of competetive applicants. If ANY applicants are accepted off the waitlist, you have a better chance at winning the lotto. If you have other options CONSIDER THEM and dont wait around for SLO to eventually send you that rejection letter.
  • Fisher5306Fisher5306 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Rejected Civil Engineering

Math 640
    CR 670
    CW 610

GPA 3.78

It's a numbers game obviously. They accept all the minority kids they think have a snowball's change in hades to make it through the program... and then you've got 800 remaining applications for 75 slots.

Oh well, that's life.
  • KMATHCKMATHC Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    So, Cal Poly was the only non-UC school I applied to, and I didn't get in. I got into UCI, UCR, and UCSB and waitlisted at UCD but I actually want to go to SLO.
    My stats were:
    GPA- 3.83
    SAT- 2030
    ACT- 28
    Class council 3 years, varsity lacrosse 3 years, CSF, work experience, all AP/honors this year, and all AP/honors junior year except for one class, JCL officer.

I don't get it. My friend said I could have possibly been overqualified?
    Should I try to appeal?
  • XFactah416XFactah416 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    KMATHC, I think it's mostly a numbers game and random luck of the draw, with minority race coming into play. You aren't overqualified.. I'm pretty sure that's impossible with the applicants that SLO receives. Your raw numbers are very good, but I think those type of numbers are the range of most SLO applicants. I don't think SLO weighs much on your ECs either.. Fisher is probably right that they take minorities first in an attempt to diversify the campus. You can appeal, but I don't think an appeal is going to work out that well.

Fortunately, you have two great options in UCI and UCSB.
  • HPuck35HPuck35 Registered User Posts: 1,923 Senior Member
    My daughter was rejected by ME. My wife called the admissions dept. and was told that the ACCEPTANCE rate for ME was well below 10%. Record number of applications and big budget cuts were the reason/excuse or so she was told. The listed acceptance rate for all of engineering was around 60% last year according to SLO's brochure. Doesn't break it down by department. Sounds like a perfect storm, at least in ME.

FYI: This years acceptance rate at MIT was 9.7%
This discussion has been closed.