Bowdoin dorm Commamd Strips

Hi,

I just read that Bowdoin College does not allow the use of Command Strips to hang things in dorms.

For current students out there….What did you use to hang heavier things? Or did you just not?

I would contact res life/housing and ask.

Funny story, during covid Bowdoin gave students a very short window on short notice to get their stuff out of the dorms. We were under time pressure, find a storage place etc.

My kid had attached a headboard to the wall. It was difficult to get off. I ultimately pulled it as hard as I could and left a huge hole in the wall, no exaggeration. I thought for sure we would be charged but never were. The memories that remain from that time lol.

This would have 100% happened to me!

1 Like

My kid uses over-the-door hooks for heavier things.

That baffled me too! They are allowed to use pushpins. Works for pictures/posters, etc but obviously can’t use for hooks or framed photos. There is so much storage space in the rooms though - housing is amazing. And there’s a free shopping day for freshman after their orientation trips. Everything that was left behind last year - tables, lamps, hangers, microwave, you name it. Any storage stuff they want they can pick up for free.

1 Like

So residence life said:

“We recommend using thumb tacks instead of command strips. There are some students who use command strips, however, if they’re not taken down extremely carefully, the wall damage can be severe which could result in a fine. Historically, it’s been much easier to fill in the thumb tack holes rather than fix the damage left behind from command strips.”

Soooo it sounds more like a recommendation than a hard no.

1 Like

Good to know! And I gave away all the command strips that I’d bought before I read the rules last year! Have fun moving in :blush: