I registered early when the Friday tours were still available, but we chose to go a day early and signed up for an admitted student tour on Thursday. Was hoping it would be more of a “regular” school day to get a sense of what it might be like without all the potential new students on campus. We’ll also attend Friday as well.
Will this mostly be waitlist?
That’s the standard response that I’ve been hearing. But I watched Tineocollegeprep on TikTok and he said the first wave was not just acceptances but also he heard about waitlisting and rejections. He said the first wave is heavily the local area. Apparently Cal State gives preference to those areas first. Keeping my fingers crosssed he’s right!
Yes, Cal states give priority to local applicants but there were plenty of non-local and OOS admits in the first wave. I would take anything stated on TikTok especially with some skepticism.
Agreed. But was surprised that he was getting feedback from people waitlisted and rejected the first round - I haven’t heard that elsewhere. And quite a few in the comments said the same thing. Again - may be just me finding something to keep hope alive for my daughter.
![]()
I did some research and I’ve found that there’s sometimes a larger second wave of acceptances the week following the first small wave. Then there would be another wave of waitlists followed by another wave of rejections with a few acceptances that trickle in.
I wonder how “local area” is defined– we’re in San Diego county, so I don’t think that would count as local…
Wisconsin here - still waiting
It’s explained here:
Cal Poly gives preference in the competitive admission process to local applicants. You are considered local if you graduate(d) from a high school in San Luis Obispo County, northern Santa Barbara County and southern Monterey County.
Local is San Luis Obispo County, northern Santa Barbara County and southern Monterey County for Cal Poly SLO.
I am surprised too since the few social media sites I check only show acceptances or no decision yet so far.
My daughter was admitted to Biological Science in the first wave and invited to apply for the Honors Program which she is pretty sure she will do. Does anyone have feedback on the Honors program beyond what is online?
Apply for the parents group on FB lots of info there.
Reposting the Parents Facebook information:
Was she invited to apply for honors with a separate message? It was listed on my son’s to do list from slo after he was admitted but I don’t think he got a separate message.
My son also has it listed in his portal, we happened to see it, but no email was sent. Actually, he still hasn’t received any kind of acceptance email, or email to check his portal for decisions either, though I know some did.
I think he will apply.
Where in the portal is this listed for him?
my son’s honors application is under his list of tasks to do.
It’s on his to do list where he was accepted. I haven’t seen his portal but he was able to apply for honors with prompts but he didn’t get a separate email to apply. I would assume this was an invitation as he has straight A’s plus 14 APs and 4 cc classes
Thanks for whomever started this conversation! My daughter just saw it appear in her portal too. Doesn’t this go to all admitted students?