Cal Poly SLO Freshman Class of 2030 Discussion Thread

This is what is stated on the SLO website:

First-Time-First Year Students: If you applied as a FIRST-YEAR student to the San Luis Obispo Campus and are selected, you will have the opportunity to apply to the Honors Program at the time of your admission to Cal Poly (updates and instructions will be available through your Application Status Portal).

Admission to the University Honors Program is highly competitive, and application materials are carefully reviewed. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered under any circumstances. All application materials must be submitted electronically.

1 Like

No, she was not invited with a separate message. It was in the portal as a to-do as others have stated, and she also missed noticing it for a few days! :sweat_smile: I’m glad she noticed it in time to research and apply!

Someone was rejected last week from my kid’s OOS HS. So who knows. My kid hasn’t heard. Not giving up hope just yet.

Thank you for that piece of information.

I saw on Reddit some people got in today?

Edited for more detail: I saw the 2 posts for Aerospace and Architecture although they did not specify in-state or OOS and stated they were admitted Wednesday March 18. So I guess legit.

Congrats to your son!!! My son is interested in that major (will apply next year). I’m curious - what was your son’s unweighted GPA and what APs did he take?

Hi, happy to give you some more details. I’ll DM you.

1 Like

Is the second wave of decisions going to be today?

I am praying so. Surprised nothing yet.

We are international at an American school (US citizens). My son was rejected and his friend was accepted. Both decisions released about 5:00 tonight.

3 Likes

Any NYC families on here? We are in Sesame Street like Brooklyn, so I’m sure SLO and the rodeo will be a big change.

1 Like

No. My daughter was admitted to SLO two years ago and did not receive and Honors Invite. She ended up at a different school.

Lurking on Reddit and Facebook, 3 more admits posted for March 19: Mechanical Engineering, Business Administration and alternate Marine Engineering (Maritime campus).

This doesn’t sound like much of a “wave”

2 Likes

After the 1st admit wave, most admits will trickle out.

2 Likes

Is this because they are literally still making decisions or do you think its more about early responses of people declining their offer in excess of projections. I would think that the yield would be built into the original admits. Just trying to understand why this method is designed like this. Still hopeful to hear soon. I know they state by April 1st and that anytime before that is fair. The server argument that others have suggested (about it not crashing) also seems like a bad argument because instead of checking the portal once people are now checking 100’s of times. Good luck to everyone. Honestly, I’m happy that it is still a possibility for me as the major isn’t really offered anywhere else.

1 Like

It seems that they do it this way every year (this is my 3rd time with a kid applying in the last 4 years). It will never make sense to me that other universities are able to provide decisions to every applicant on the same day, but Cal Poly can’t. Last year also had a few acceptances trickle out before the waitlist wave.

Cal Poly SLO decisions timeline is not unusual. Most Cal states have rolling decisions so not unique to SLO. Why they do it this way, I cannot answer you for sure but I am sure SLO is probably looking at how many students enroll immediately and they are also be evaluating borderline applicants and seeing if they can offer admission to their alternate major. I have followed SLO and CSU admission since 2013 and still cannot figure their “method to the madness”.

4 Likes

This is no way to treat teenagers, IMO.

6 Likes