cc88288:
So a college whose NPC is, say, $5k over our budget, we might want to include it anyway, just in case merit aid is given and stacked on top.
Yes. Additionally, some schools may give more generous merit aid than anticipated (the demographic cliff of a drop in college students has started), and some schools will increase their merit aid offer if you have a competing offer or if it is getting closer to May 1 and they still need more students to commit. This thread offers some examples from earlier this year:
Three years ago, I started a thread for parents who noted merit aid went up closer to May 1st and after an initial offer. But that thread auto-closed.
Anyone care to add their experience this year.
So far, I’ve read about Furman, RPI and Wooster.
@NemesisLead - maybe you can give the before and after on Furman…and anyone else that can add schools. I know Baylor was in the past thread
RPI added $4K per @beefeater . I’m not sure what the original offer was.
The list 3 years ago had these below - doesn’t mean they are the same today. But you never know - and it is more a buyer’s market I think than 3 years ago - meaning the school’s need the students more than vice versa. I’ll also note the article on Syracuse U last year which talked about many students getting huge late offers.
Good luck to merit chasers out there.
Baylor
Butler
Clark
Creighton
Loyola Chicago
Marist (two times)
U Minnesota
U Portland
Xavier
Western Washington
Willammette (on appeal)
WPI
4 Likes