Lovely kids and culture at Lawrence if that’s important. I know several Lawrence grads. The ran their own race in college; supportive friendships, great relationships with professors. The town itself is not going to have the razzle-dazzle of a big city so that will take some getting used to…
My kid likes small quiet towns. And supportive friendships & great relationships with profs def resonate w/ him!
I calculated ED from the previous year since it wasn’t available last year.
The only one of your reaches which I would consider a reach is Grinnell and I’m not really sure about them because they make limited information available.
With domestic acceptance rates of 30% and 37% respectively and with a gpa in the middle 50% of applicants, I would consider Denison and Carleton high targets. With a domestic acceptance rate of 49%, I would see Reed as a target.
Thanks, @Bill_Marsh. What about Reed? Reach, high target or target?
Target.
49% acceptance rate and his gpa is in the middle 50% of their freshman class as t recall.
Top and bottom heavy are irrelevant.
If you have one but preferably two or three - assured and affordable - the rest of your list can be as safe or pie in the sky as you desire. The worst someone can say is no.
So if a Grinnell or Davidson or Dickinson or Lafyette or Wheaton or Susquehanna beckon - a few of those are tough gets, two are middle of the road and reasonable I’d say, and two are safe - it doesn’t matter if you go high reach, middle of the road or safety. What matters is you find an affordable school - that you think your student can love.
So if you want to apply to all the Ivy leagues - sure it’s unlikely to be fruitful, but if you assuredly can afford Willamette or OSU, then it’s not a problem (assuming those are both affordable safeties) - if that’s what you want to do.
Revised after re-doing NPC to better reflect how each college treats divorced families and/or home equity. Likely will drop several more …
| Category | School | Admit rate |
|---|---|---|
| Reach | Colby | 8% |
| Reach | Hamilton | 21% |
| Reach | Wesleyan | 22% |
| Reach | Colgate | 26% |
| Reach | Colorado College | 28% |
| Reach | Macalester | 28% |
| Reach | Denison | 30% |
| Target | Carleton | 38% |
| Target | Franklin & Marshall | 47% |
| Target | Dickinson | 52% |
| Target | DePauw | 56% |
| Target | St. Olaf | 57% |
| Safety | Whitman | 69% |
| Safety | OSU | 83% |
| Safety | UOregon | 87% |
So Willamette, which he liked, is gone? And Union?
Is the student interested in fraternities and sororities? DePauw has a very high participation in fraternities and sororities (62% according to Go Greek - DePauw University ).
So Willamette, which he liked, is gone? And Union?
yup can no longer afford those two
DePauw has a very high participation in fraternities and sororities
good to know! bubah depauw, too many vowels in there anyway
For whom are these acceptance rates? In some cases they do not match the general acceptance rates for these schools, with a few appearing to be far off.
For convenience, this site offers recent information:
Both of those colleges offer merit aid. You can look at their Common Data Sets (section H2), their individual webpages, etc. to get an idea of the typical size of the merit scholarships and what your son may qualify for. If he was particulrly interested in a school (like Willamette), you could ask if they would do a merit aid pre-read. Whitman, I believe, does something similar.
Using this aggregator (which is always good to verify with the CDS and college)![]()
- Willamette’s average merit aid to freshmen without need is $28,776, and 33% of freshmen without need receive an award
- Union’s average merid aid to freshmen without need is $24,885, and 23% of that group receives an award
It looks like he’s adjusted some of them to remove international applicants where they have an outsized affect on the reported acceptance rates - as discussed earlier in the thread.
I note from what I have seen, International applications having a serious impact on general admissions rates is pretty widespread. However, only some colleges report the necessary data to extract domestic only rates.
And a cynical part of me wonders if that is intentional.
Thank you.
FYI I read they had a bad year last year, may be slighly easier than normal this coming year… probably still reach, but maybe a slightly more optimistic one?
I calculated domestic accept rates based on the most recent CDS I can find online. If I am off on some of those, please let me know! Thanks.
Do you mean that NPC can be wildly off because they can give merit aid on top of what NPC promises?
That would be great!