Chance my '27 grad for small LACs - not a straightforward story (lower stats, intended art history major) [HS senior, NH, 3.22 GPA, 1180 SAT, <$40k]

Thank you for all these tips! Do you have any recommendations near DC/Philly? Right now we have Goucher, Mary Washington, St. Mary’s and McDaniel on the list but only as schools to explore - I don’t know much about them.

Edit to add that she did a visit/tour at Wheaton last spring!

2 Likes

Does the essay score need to be submitted if the other scores are?

Automatic bundling: If you took a single test date that included the writing section, the essay score is permanently attached to that specific official score report from ACT. You cannot separate or redact just the essay score from that specific date.

I copied & pasted this response which appears truthful to me.

1 Like

So a few things:

  1. I wouldn’t fall in love with a campus. I would fall in like (not love) with a package. It appears Wheaton has an open like curriculum but I’d make sure the math and science isn’t too much at each school. I’d expect some to require a math like stats, etc. or a low level calc to graduate.

  2. The student has been on line and in home school. Are they ready for college? Should a community college be a consideration?

  3. I think privates (like Wheaton) will be more forgiving than public if there are any academic shortfalls. For example, Wheaton requires, per its common data set, four years of science in HS with two years of lab science. Will they waive it? Interestingly, they don’t mention math but I can see a school holding against a student who hasn’t been in pre-calc.

But their website says this - so if they don’t flex, you won’t get in - but you have money, so they might. I hate to say it like this - but it’s the reality.

Wheaton: “the college strongly recommends the following high school curriculum: four years of English with emphasis on composition skills, three or four years of mathematics, three or four years of a foreign language, three years of social studies, and three years of laboratory science and several academic electives.”

  1. I would not ED. Here’s the thing - these schools need your money - but why give them leverage. You have money so you have the leverage. If you are bound, why do they need to give you a cent. They will, of course, because they know you’ll break ED if not, but will they as much?

I do think Wheaton is a reach.

Budget - you have a $40K budget - so the first thing I do is find schools that will hit.

I’d check each school’s depth in the major. Is it enough?

Here’s a recommendation - Hartwick College. Why? It’s under $40K a year before aid with a chance for $10K. It’s much easier to get into than Wheaton. But - their bond rating is now junk because they are spending more to attract students than cost and pulling from their endowment. So schools - from Clark to Brandeis - prominent names - are having to cut - and Wheaton has two. Many are enhancing sciences while cutting the arts and humanities. So I would make sure to check - not just a school has the major but the depth in the major - with existing faculty and more - to ensure you won’t be like many students - having the major disappear mid term.

But Hartwick is one to look at given its cost.

Across the border to the North and small with a cool sounding major and is part of the NE Tuition Break so you’re in at $32K is UMaine Farmington. It’s a small school. I believe virtually all get accepted.

MCLA has an Art major, Arts Management Major/Minor and Art History Minor. It was $34K last year as part of the N England exchange.

Their website is difficult but I believe you’d qualify - at Farmington and MCLA.

Eastern Connecticut State is small (3500 undergrads), has art history and will be well under $40K.

So those three and Hartwick might be two to look at in regards to having an assured and affordable - well, I can’t say admission assured but Farmington and MCLA both admit 90%+ and ECSU 80%+.

I don’t see Bard as worthy - either you academically or getting to cost. They are slim on merit and big on need so run the NPC. I would think most of yours won’t hit cost which It’s why it’s important to have some that absolutely will. I’d honestly not bother.

You might look at PASSHE schools that offer Art History - Kutztown is one and will come in well under $40K.

For a private in PA, Susquehanna has a great rep, big aid, and admits a much higher percentage than Wheaton. It has Art History…it has a strong rep on this website. Last year one student got to $24K but I think was with need aid too.

Juniata is another that desperately needs students. They have an Art History and Museum Studies major. It’s worth a look as is Ursinus too. All small LACs.

Over $40K (barely) but after $16K in merit for a 3.25 in HS is Washington & Jefferson - another like Hartwick - who has had to lower the price. They’re another high acceptance rate school - near Pittsburgh.

UMW is under $40K - if they see your GPA as 3.25 or above. If they see your academic record as enough, she could get in. But without merit it’s over.

So that’s some others - well you mentioned UMW. Same with St. Mary’s. Christopher Newport is another to look at (smaller than UMW and closer to an airport) - but - might be a tad over on $ - if you can get in. Gorgeous campus. I just visited as I was there for work.

Since you have Stonehill - look at St Joe’s in Philly. It may get to budget.

I wish you luck - I do worry about the rigor and do think private schools will be more flexible there. And please check the course frequency and depth of offerings - schools are cutting back each year and you don’t want to get caught up in that if it can be avoided.

I wish you luck and hope something I wrote was helpful. But the main thing is - if it’s me, pick a 100% under $40K school (don’t rely on NPCs) and then take your shots where you want non-ED. The schools need you more than you need them - and so if they see you have money, they’ll work to get you there - provided you meet their minimum requirements.

Best of luck.

I’d like to understand this advice better. If you feel your odds of acceptance are somewhat low and you feel it’s your favorite school, isn’t ED a way to increase your odds of acceptance? I realize some schools have the same acceptance rates for ED and RD but many seem to have higher rates for ED. Of course that can be simply due to a higher percent of better-matching students applying ED but it does give you hope that your odds are better with ED.

I’m conservative - so when you ED, in my mind, you are giving up leverage.

The family makes $200K a year. So if the OP files a need form or doesn’t, they’ll know they have $$. And these schools need people with funds, especially a school like Wheaton that has to tighten its belt because like others, they run deficits.

Maybe ED they get to $50K but non ED $40K, etc. Maybe not - but in essence, you are bound by ED, so why would they give you anything? I know Wheaton will because people will not choose the school otherwise.

But in general terms, ED binds you - so why should they give you anything.

Now, if you look at Wheaton, they had 456 enrollees per CDS.

They awarded need aid to 331 and merit aid to 109 (on average $42K). So that’s 440. I assume, but don’t know, some of those kids may have gotten both. But if it’s either or, that’s still 16 kids that got nothing.

If the school feels the student is qualified, they’re not going to deny them ED or not - because they will see a reliable cash flow - in my opinion. Whether they are seen as qualified with the potential academic shortfalls, I can’t answer.

With a 12% yield and 10% outside of ED, I don’t see needing to ED to a school like this at all.

That’s my line of thought; OPs can be different but then they will be nervous until they get that aid offer.

Interestingly, Wheaton’s ED acceptance rate is far worse than it’s regular acceptance rate…78 of 209 vs. a well over 50% in RD.

Hope that explains why I gave the advice - basically leverage and cost assuredness (to know your cost vs. not knowing).

3 Likes

If you had asked me this year I would have said I wasn’t sure, but she did pre-college programs two summers in a row and was terrific. I think she is ready.

Yes I hear you on this! I just want to clarify that she did take pre-calculus.

It’s on our list for RD! Maybe we should move it up to EA.

Agreed. We toured Clark and I think she would have liked it until she heard about cuts to the arts.

Thank you for taking the time to write all this out and for the good luck wishes :slight_smile:

May I ask where you are finding these stats? On Niche I see 68% RD, 85% ED.

You can get a sense of a school’s financials from their Moody’s or S&P Bond rating. For example, Hartwick has been cut to junk. It doesn’t mean it’s not worthy but it could be a sign.

Clark is not alone in cuts or in their case trying to streamline toward more en vogue majors.

I hope you look at the schools I mentioned that will definitely hit $40K - and all have the major - ECSU, Mass College of Liberal Arts, U Maine Farmington, Kutztown - because when you have a budget, the most important schools are those that will 100% assuredly hit budget. Hartwick would be that on private.

The other schools are - nice to have or desired but if $40K is a hard cut, then that’s what matters.

1 Like

Please check Wheaton’s acceptance rates noted above. When I did a quick Google search it looked to me that ED does provide an advantage in admissions. IMO if Wheaton’s NPC numbers work, if it is the definitive top choice, and if your family has no need/desire to compare financial offers, I would certainty consider ED.

2 Likes

The school’s common data set - attached.

Section C1 is regular admission stats - they had 6,014 applicants and admitted 3778 of which 456 enrolled.

Section C21/22 shows ED - which was 78/209. That’s direct from the school. Doesn’t mean it’s not in error but it’s what they’ve reported. But yes it was surprising. They did not publish during the previous year.

I’m guessing but don’t know - that perhaps those not academically as strong would ED. They don’t get many ED apps as a % of admitted - and it’s because - as I said before - people know the school needs you, especially someone with $200K in income…far more than you need them - because your student will have many many options…hence only a 10% yield RD (one in ten they admit attend) - and 12% including the ED route.

I believe in supply and demand.

They need money. You have supply.

They need students. You have supply…with money. Ding Ding.

Right or wrong, that’s how I see it.

These are businesses and even great names like Brandeis and American are getting creamed…so these schools are digging deep to the point they are educating kids at a lower price than their cost which causes endowment pulls, and it’s likely unsustainable long term. Wheaton is BAA2 rated by Moody’s so they are investment grade rated - which is good. Doesn’t mean they spend but it means they can pay their bondholders.

Common Data Set 2025-2026 | Wheaton College (MA)

1 Like

Bond / financial ratings:

College Moody’s S&P Forbes
Wheaton (MA) Baa2 A-
Hartwick Caa1 BB D

Page 8 of Ratings.Moodys.com defines Moody’s bond ratings.

Yes, I noted Hartwick’s rating - but the first thing for the family is needing to assure $40K and Hartwick does. Wheaton does not. But I also listed several public schools that do.

A bond rating provides estimation on the ability to pay back bonds. It doesn’t mean a school won’t cut programs, etc.

Hartwick is not in danger of closing, per the S&P research. But they are drawing down the endowment. I reposted the research again.

btw - lots of “great” names have poor Forbes grades.

But first and foremost and it can be wherever, but just hoping to identify assured to be under $40K school. Washington & Jefferson appeared to be another but only after automerit.

Hartwick College, NY Revenue Debt Rating Lowered | S&P Global Ratings

I like Niche. It’s great - for directional info.

I would not use Niche for any data whatsoever. Like…none. US News maybe. But niche - nope. Go to the source.

I like the grades for dorms and party and food and all that - but that’s about it. I wouldn’t trust the rest.

2 Likes

I see the numbers…Google search and Niche show different story with a notable ED advantage for admissions…we can leave it to the OP to research further.

I don’t think you can put too much into an ED rate anyway, short of maybe a Holy Cross which is so - different - because if there’s athletes, they can be in the #.

Schools at the level of Wheaton typically won’t get much ED given their - second tier / third tier profile.

OP can certainly apply ED if they so choose. I’m just concerned that it might not come in at budget (which is different than being able to afford) or they might score such a better deal elsewhere that they give up that opportunity) - especially given they are planning trips to visit various schools.

Anyway, perhaps this screenshot will solve the question :slight_smile:

In my opinion, your student should apply EA to every college they are considering that has the EA option…unless they are applying REA or SCEA where this might not be allowed by that college.

Get all EA applications out…and do them everywhere they are offered.

@MaineLonghorn had a kid at Susquehanna and can comment on this college and all it had to offer.

3 Likes

I just want to clarify that 200k absolutely qualifies for need based aid at many schools (especially so if assets are not high).

This family has run the NPC at Wheaton and said it was within their range. If they ED and the number is wildly different from what they are seeing in the NPC now, surely it won’t be binding?

5 Likes

No EDs. Stop thinking about playing the game of using the ED card to get a more prestigious acceptance. This student is not in that tier, and you’ll only wind up messing up your merit money options.

EA anywhere you can, that’s not restrictive. Good that you’re making in-state public options, too. Seriously consider whether your student can go far from home for college. It sounds as if they’ve had a very rough road, and probably need to be close by for support. I would seriously consider putting a 3 hour drive away limit on how far they can go. Shorter than that would be even better. You have no idea how great it is to be able to just drive there and back on a weekend day to visit for lunch, check up on the kid. Anything over 1.5 hours away makes that more difficult.

Their intended majors do not usually lead to employment that enables a person to support themselves, unless they go into public school teaching - history, maybe art. Have a frank discussion with your student about this, and seriously consider their getting a secondary school education certification simultaneously while in college, and choosing schools that offer this, in a state where your child might want to live someday. Teaching certification is very local. Yes, there is some reciprocity, and it is always possible to take extra classes once one has arrived in the target state, to get certified there, but it’s so much easier to do it while in college.

Consider the cost, vs the degree’s leading to them becoming self-supporting. Sure, their mental health and well-being are priceless, but… your money is finite. Is it worth 160K to have four years of (hopefully) a good experience that leads to emotional maturation and well-being, without also equipping the child to make their own way in the world? You’re buying a product, and you need to realize how much it’s costing you, and take a very frank look at what you’re getting for it.

3 Likes

Yes, $200K qualifies for need aid - but typically at higher level, high endowment schools. Not 2nd and 3rd tier privates. I’m sure the Wheaton money is all merit. OP can tell us though if they want and it really doesn’t matter, because the school will get to a price for them that they get. The school says on average kids are paying $24K. And per CDS, more than half get aid, which tells me it skews lower on the wealth scale (vs. the Colgates, Tufts of the world). As noted above, if OP wants to ED, that’s fine. It doesn’t appear to give an advantage and they are talking about schools in PA and DC - so should they really ED when they want to see more? It’s not a decision they need to make today.

As for EA vs. RD, normally I would be in the EA camp - but if the student feels first semester grades would help their case, then I’m ok with RD - especially at the level of schools the OP is applying.

Schools are looking for reasons to accept students that have the ability to pay, not to deny them. Don’t forget, the school is a business. It has a product to sell and expenses to cover. For the consumer, this is a purchase - and there are various choices to choose from, of varying levels.

So I don’t think EA vs. RD at this level of selectivity will matter. Their RD yield is 10% and others like them will be similar. Schools have to offer an absolute ton of kids to find enough to go. So if they can justify them academically, they’re going to get in regardless of when they apply.

At higher level schools - yes to EA. But if OP feels an RD app will be stronger due to 1st semester grades, it might make sense to wait. But that would be the only reason. That’s just my opinion. Obviously others feel differently and that’s fine too.

2 Likes