Chance my '27 grad for small LACs - not a straightforward story (lower stats, intended art history major) [HS senior, NH, 3.22 GPA, 1180 SAT, <$40k]

Conn College is not overly selective. They accept far more than half of US students (about 56%).

Their yield is quite low. Factoring out ED below 10%. So you never know. They need to offer many to get one to bite.

I don’t see it happening but the bigger concern with your income would be the NPC.

It’s $93k. Can’t imagine you getting $53k in aid. But you never know.

2 Likes

Yes, it is a long, long drive. What is it that you & your daughter like about it?

I guess it really depends on what part of New Hampshire one is from. Recopying the map from above:

Here are the driving times, per Google maps:

From Keene State College (southwestern NH)

  • St. Lawrence: 5h7m drive
  • Hobart and William Smith: 5h4m

Dartmouth (middle western NH)

  • St. Lawrence: 4h26m
  • Hobart and William Smith: 5h32m

U. of New Hampshire (southeastern NH)

  • St. Lawrence: 5h56m
  • Hobart and William Smith: 6h16m

So I think it really depends on how far OP’s family wants their D to be from home. But, St. Lawrence is actually closer to two of the three NH colleges (and only 3 minutes further from the third college) than Hobart and William Smith, which is on the D’s list.

For people not as familiar with NH geography, here is a map of NH colleges from Niche:

1 Like

Add at least an hour to these drive times during “winter road conditions”.

2 Likes

I expect the OP can use Google Maps and estimate the distance from their home. An excellent option that doesn’t fit important criteria.

For the schools I recommended upthread, here are the driving times from the three NH colleges I did driving times for a couple posts up.

If remaining within about 3 hours of home is important, then among the schools I suggested, I would prioritize:

  • Clark
  • Connecticut College
  • Eastern Connecticut State
  • SUNY Plattsburgh (depending on the part of the state where OP lives)

And for accessibility, here is the same driving timetable chart:

School Keene Dartmouth UNH
Clark 1h25m 2h27m 1h47m
Connecticut College 2h21m 3h6m 2h52m
Eastern Connecticut State 2h15m 2h49m 2h47m
Ithaca 5h0m 5h35m 6h11m
Kutztown 5h41m 6h21m 6h46m
St. Lawrence 5h7m 4h26m 5h56m
SUNY Brockport 5h50m 6h19m 7h6m
SUNY Oswego 4h56m 5h23m 6h6m
SUNY Plattsburgh 3h17m 2h20m 3h56m
SUNY Potsdam 5h0m 4h2m 5h32m

I will reiterate what @tsbna44 said. Conn College is not as selective as it appears. The numbers lie. He is the one who detected this pattern with another LAC, so let me give him full credit, but I’ll explain it in more detail.

More than a third of Conn College’s applicants are international students. But they only accept 4.5% of them. This greatly decreases the overall acceptance rate to 39% from their actual 57.7% acceptance rate for domestic students. Your daughter will not be competing against the international applicants for admission. She will be competing against other applicants from the US, about 58% of whom are accepted. So, it is worth an application.

My niece’s daughter just began her 2nd year there. She loved her freshman year experience. She had planned to go to Syracuse because her acceptance there came in first and she didn’t expect to get in at Conn. But she did! It made the decision easier that she also received an unexpectedly attractive financial package from Conn College.

One of the positives about Conn College is that they work with students who have more than one strong interest area to integrate them in a way that is uniquely their own. You can read about what they call “Integrative Pathways” and “Connections” on their website.

2 Likes

Also, just updated the driving chart with New Paltz and Purchase which I know OP mentioned were already on the list for consideration (and I definitely would have suggested them had they not already been on the list).

And yes, OP can definitely use Google Maps for the most accurate driving time predictions for their family, but since other posters may not be as familiar with NH and the northeast colleges, I consider this more for informational purposes for the group as well.

School Keene Dartmouth UNH
Clark 1h25m 2h27m 1h47m
Connecticut College 2h21m 3h6m 2h52m
Eastern Connecticut State 2h15m 2h49m 2h47m
Ithaca 5h0m 5h35m 6h11m
Kutztown 5h41m 6h21m 6h46m
St. Lawrence 5h7m 4h26m 5h56m
SUNY Brockport 5h50m 6h19m 7h6m
SUNY New Paltz 3h7m 3h41m 4h27m
SUNY Oswego 4h56m 5h23m 6h6m
SUNY Plattsburgh 3h17m 2h20m 3h56m
SUNY Potsdam 5h0m 4h2m 5h32m
SUNY Purchase 3h25m 4h0m 4h25m
2 Likes

and then you have Mary Washington on the list…beneath DC.

Didn’t mean to tag…sorry.

This is SO interesting. Thank you very much for explaining! It was on our original list, but I thought it was too much of a reach.

If you have assured and affordable to fall back on (and that’s likely the publics - which are a Wheaton just in case), then if there’s someone you really want to take a shot at - why not?

The worst they can say is no.

But if you want CC, then maybe applying to Wheaton ED isn’t wise - unless Wheaton would still win. Of course, I wouldn’t ED because I worry you won’t get to $40K assuredly - but that’s a different topic.

I actually hoped someone turned down my kids. Not that anyone necessarily needs to go to the hardest to get into, but it’s a nice affirmation that when you have one chance to apply to college, that you at least took a shot at more selective schools than maybe you were destined for.

It’s the assured and affordable - UMF, ECSU, MCLA - that make the chance at Wheaton and even schools that might not work - worthy of attempt.

DD went to Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania and had a very good education with excellent mentors. I’m too busy to write a long reply, but if anybody has any questions I would be happy to respond.

3 Likes