Corn Bread

<p>I need a corn bread recipe...easy. I know there is one made with Jiffy Corn bread and creamed corn...anyone have that recipe...and what size pan can I use? I need to make enough for 40 people and I was thinking I'd make mini muffins if that will work. OR maybe a 13x9x2 (know I would have to double the Jiffy box).</p>

<p>Anyway...any suggestions??</p>

<p>Texas Cornbread (from one of Helen Corbitt’s cookbooks)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (half sour cream and milk)
1/2 cup sweet milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/4 cup melted shortening</p>

<p>Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients. Grease muffin pans or corn-stick pans well and heat. Stir up the mixture thoroughly and pour into hot pans. Bake until done [about 20 minutes]. The bread will be moist and brown on the bottom.</p>

<p>Our family favorite cornbread
1 box Krusteaz honey cornbread
1 can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/3 cup melted butter
Bake according to box directions</p>

<p>This is a very moist cornbread. If you like the dry, crumbly variety this is not the one you want.</p>

<p>Here’s the Jiffy recipe.
[Cooks.com</a> - Recipe - Jiffy Corn Casserole](<a href=“http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,188,153171-231207,00.html]Cooks.com”>http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,188,153171-231207,00.html)</p>

<p>I have a corn casserole recipe with Jiffy and creamed corn:</p>

<p>1 stick butter, melted
1 can cream-style corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
8-oz sour cream
salt & pepper to taste
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
cheddar cheese</p>

<p>Mix first six ingredients well. Stir in Jiffy mix just until moist. Pour into 7x13 oblong or 2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 20 minutes. Top with cheese and bake 20 minutes more. Can double the recipe and bake in 9x13 pan.</p>

<p>This is creamy and more a vegetable than bread, but I thought of it when you mentioned the creamed corn and Jiffy. If you’re wanting to cut it into squares, use Panhandlegal’s recipe. Unfortunately, I never mastered homemade cornbread and have resigned myself to packaged mixes (my grandmothers are probably rolling over in their graves).</p>

<p>Had not seen my-3-sons link before I posted. It is essentially the same recipe, but I have never used eggs in it. Makes me wonder if the person who gave me the recipe left them off, but it turns out great anyway and everyone loves it.</p>

<p>Thanks… I like the one for the 13x9x2 pan.</p>

<p>The recipe on the Quaker Oats container is very good, especially using more corn meal and sugar and less flour.</p>

<p>When I moved to the South I was soon informed of this tip…</p>

<p>If using a cast iron pan to bake corn bread…heat it first in the oven with some bacon grease. Once it’s hot, then you pour the batter in it…then bake immediately.</p>

<p>Hey Thumper, have you tried TJ’s cornbread? It’s really good! I’m not one to use a mix usually on something this simple, but that stuff is better then what I make from scratch!</p>

<p>I do think a cast iron pan is the key, and I don’t even have one. When I first got married, I had some hand-me-down cast iron, but I was such a dainty little thing, I couldn’t lift them. haha. I use just plain metal pans, but I do heat them in the oven with bacon grease first.</p>

<p>I don’t have a cast iron pan and I’m not buying one! TJs… In the regular grocery store?</p>

<p>Trader Joes. they make a good cornbread mix. I have a recipe for the corn casserole above but mine uses plain yogurt instead of sour cream. It’s great but it isn’t corn bread, more of a corn casserole. Completely non bready texture.</p>

<p>There’s just something about a cast iron skillet that makes cornbread so much better. My grandma used lard and would heat the skillet before baking the cornbread. I’ve never used lard but used bacon drippings for a while until DD became a vegetarian. Now when i make cornbread, I use vegetable oil and butter to grease my cast iron skillet. I follow my grandma’s rule of heating the skillet before pouring in the batter.</p>

<p>Super-Simple Cornbread
2 cups White Lily Buttermilk Cornmeal Mix
2 eggs
6 T melted butter
Enough buttermilk to make the consistency of cake batter</p>

<p>Bake at 400 … the length of time will depend upon the size of your skillet (or other baking pan).</p>

<p>Helpful hint: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can add 1 T of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk (let set for just a few minutes) and use that.</p>

<p>The recipe I always use is for a cast iron skillet or 8x8 pan. If you made mini muffins you’d need to reduce the cooking time.</p>

<p>1 cup white flour
1 cup cornmeal
5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 Tb melted butter (or oil if you must)</p>

<p>Sift the dry ingredients together. Put melted butter, egg and milk together and whisk briefly then add to the dry mixture. Mix quickly, don’t over beat the baking powder will make it swell quickly. Put it in a pre-heated 375 degree oven and cook 30 minutes. I think muffins would be more like 20 minutes and mini muffins even less.</p>

<p>I use ratios, not recipes…
1 part flour
1 part cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder/cup flour
1/2 tsp salt/cup flour
1 egg/cup flour
1 part milk
Stir until smooth and thick; pour into pan with bottom coated generously with melted butter, no more than one inch deep. Bake at 400 F until done.</p>

<p>(Sometimes I add frozen corn kernels to the mixture. Sometimes I add salsa to the mixture.)</p>

<p>Oh too bad about the recipe that is the casserole. I need something that is breadlike…you know…that you can put butter on!!</p>

<p>thumper,</p>

<p>my family likes their cornbread cakelike and sweet. I just use the jiffy mix ans directed on the box and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar to it. I do use a cast pan, preheated with butter, then pour batter(after it has rested) in it and bake. YUM!</p>

<p>Yes, the cast iron pan is the trick, I agree with sister sunnie. My cast iron pan is from my mother in law - 8 inches across. One jiffy mix box works great in the 8 inch pan. The fact that it cooks evenly is what I like, but for 40 people, don’t know what I would do.</p>

<p>Trader Joe’s cornbread mix is much better than Jiffy, and it doesn’t really require doctoring up - the bread is cakey and sweet with a few whole kernels mixed in.</p>