Ugh, Elon Musk is claiming that Tesla is exempt from the order and is planning to keep his huge factory in Fremont open. That’s not going to help things at all. Or make him popular amongst all those local customers who are actually obeying the order.
If you can’t get through to him, then just let him know that he needs to self-quarantine for 14 days every time he meets up with someone. And his self-quarantine needs to be somewhere other than Mom and Dad’s house.
You can’t control his actions, but you can control yours. In this case, you can protect your own health (and life) in a firm, straightforward, non-confrontational way.
I think somewhere after 70 years old there seems to be a different reaction to the corona virus threat. Maybe it is an executive function change.
Clearly many minimize the threat. I think it is not some common experience, but it is a thinking pattern. It is almost like they are teenagers and invincible.
My parents are in their mid-80s and are taking it very seriously. They are very active seniors but have been canceling all their social engagements as of 3 weeks ago. Hibernating and doing a lot of binge watching. I’m glad they are sensible and pragmatic.
Ugh! Just went to my mom’s CCRC and was handed a notice that beginning tomorrow, they are having NO visitors except licensed CNAs—no family, no one! We had to move her out with basically NO notice!
I think somewhere after 70 years old there seems to be a different reaction to the corona virus threat.
Yes! My 87 year old mother is not worried in the least and then she lists all the things she has lived through. I can’t get her to understand that the world is smaller now so it isn’t the same as Measles, Mumps, and even the end of the war! I try to explain that this is different than the H1N1. It is all to no avail. I definitely think there is executive functioning issues at play with the cavalier attitude. The “it won’t happen to me” attitude is worrisome for me. I mostly worry about her being alone if she is diagnosed.
She is staying in now (I believe) and I’m praying she hasn’t already been exposed.
@romanigypsyeyes… My 90 year old mother started getting meals on wheels before this started when my sister that lives close to her had to go out of town and just in case. It’s been a godsend… Never thinking she would use it for more then a few weeks (she was rehabbing coming out of the hospital.
Just a suggestion. Your grandmother can freeze the meals if she doesn’t want them that day.
Also my mother canceled her physical therapist visit. Just the last one but they go to multiple people in one day. Her weekly nurse (just for the time being since she was in the hospital), called her to cancel. The nurse said she goes to multiple people a day and because my mother was 90, she didn’t want to take a chance of getting her sick. My mom has her own blood pressure machine and it’s basically to take her vitals. But she called and talked with her a bit which is nice.
My 87 y/o mother has the same attitude - if this is what gets me, so be it. However, she has been living with me for the past 4 weeks in anticipation of S2’s wedding this coming Saturday. Now that is a story for another thread but our decision is whether to keep her with us or drive her 7 hours across the state (fewer cases, earlier lockdown) home where she lives alone but 5 minutes from my sister. Until yesterday she kept telling me she wanted to go home - near her doctors, her home, etc. Abrupt 180 yesterday and she says she wants to stay with us. She may be at higher risk (my eldest, his wife and toddler are coming to live with us today and we may have a small (very) wedding here on Saturday) but this “I like to be alone” introvert is finding comfort being in a household with people. We’re doing out best to keep social distance from anyone and I’ve kept her in the house or car since a week ago Tuesday. So, we’ve gone from empty nesters to a full house ranging in age from 16 months to 87 years in the space of five days.
@abasket, is there no online schooling provided from the school your son works at? My Hs school system has an online platform that was originally provided for projects, but which now of course keeps crashing, with everyone trying to log on at once. Now they’re making do, with email, drop box and YouTube.
He has recorded several video lessons on YouTube already. He is an experienced blogger, and he is guiding his colleagues in how to do this, saying “it doesn’t have to be perfect, it’s about keeping up a connection!”
Of course - she’s here for the duration. My sister will pick up her meds and mail them to us…sure hope the post office doesn’t close or we’ll be driving to meet each other mid-NY State.
But teachers are still getting paychecks, yes? How would people “reach out and support” them? The teachers I know are offering to help parents and students, and then stating their specialty/certification. Your son has offered to do this, and that is wonderful.
I’m more concerned with the people who are not getting steady paychecks anymore. How can we support THEM?
I went to my “baby” (a smaller store) Publix yesterday, primarily to pick up fresh items. I did grab one more bag of beans - it’s sort of become a habit each time I go to the store. It was bustling, but not too crowded. As usual, no TP, PT, or Clorox products. No ground beef, very low on bread. Otherwise, the store seemed pretty-well stocked. This was mid-afternoon. I was given a cart by someone who had was wiping them down.
One thing I am trying to determine is when to start eating my more shelf-staple items that I have slowly acquired over the last ten days or so. When do you begin eating your quarantine food? Part of me wants to continue a weekly grocery trip while it is still fairly easy to do so to buy enough for each week and hold off on eating the non-perishables. I guess I am trying to assess the risk of running out of those foods in case things get more strict about going out vs the risk of still going out now???