Coronavirus: What are You doing ( if anything) to prepare/ What are you personally observing?

I had mentioned last week that my mother’s cousin lives in a senior independent high rise in New Orleans. At that time there were 8 positives, 5 hospitalized, and one death. The building is called Lambeth House

Update: there are now 12 confirmed cases, all from independent living, 8 hospitalized, and a death this week.
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_6f97c47a-67ca-11ea-8127-9f78c954102f.html
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_47690e94-67db-11ea-98ec-07f79e840dac.html

edited to add there are 140 residents in the independent living apartments

I went to the grocery store at 6:30 this morning (not specifically for seniors). There were more people there than I expected at that hour, but fewer than there had been later in the day. Fortunately I brought a pair of nitrile gloves with me since there were no wipes for the carts. The store was still very picked over with lots of empty shelves. For those of you familiar with The Americans, it reminded me of Martha at the grocery store in the USSR. The store is keeping paper towels and 20-packs of Purell wipes at the customer service counter and allowing you to get one/customer, so I was able to get some wipes…finally.

Last evening we got an email from the major management company of our apt building (they have buildings all over the country) stating that common amenities, like the gym, would be closed immediately. Surprise, surprise - when I passed the gym on my way to the grocery store, it was open and people were exercising there. I asked the concierge about it, who presented me with an email dated 3/13 (4 days go!) that only residents who were self-quarantining should limit access to the gym. I told him that was not the email I got on 3/16. How does corporate make a decision that doesn’t get passed along to the individual buildings?

My mother’s assisted living is closed to visitors but as I have written before, I am designated an allowed “essential caregiver” because the assisted living cannot change her colostomy appliance (they can do the bags), which is needed every 2-3 days.

I just found out that on the other hand, familes have been allowed to take their loved ones out, to MD appointments, family homes, restaurants and other public places.

Aides are screened with temperature check but go home of course.

I am now feeling nervous about going there to do the colostomy. I am otherwise staying in my apartment.

I just found out from my SIL that my MIL and FIL (late 50s) want to get the virus and get it over with. They view it like the chicken pox.

They’re still convinced the whole thing is a hoax but they’re in for a surprise when we hold our ground on them not seeing their grandkid if they can’t be reasonable humans.

@Tigerle in urban districts you cannot count on students having computer access. Libraries shut their doors here until sometime in April.

He teaches 7-8 Math. As teachers they were instructed to put together work “packets” - he did go the extra mile and gave his students the option of using the paper packets or doing work on a Google drive (something specifically for schools that he uses). So they have options. But even with both of those options less than half are actually likely to complete the work during this off time. This is just the state of mind of many of the homes they are in where structure and guidance is not always available.

We can say not to treat this time off from school as “vacation days” but many (students and/or parents) will sadly.

@CTTC, I’m not talking about supporting teachers from a financial standpoint - yes, they will get paid. But while many of us will work from home, they largely have had their “work and daily work purpose” dropped in a moment.

They are not the only ones. Restaurant workers and others will also be left somewhat “jobless” when they wake up in the morning - again, not from a financial standpoint but a purpose standpoint.

And don’t fool yourself - teachers will be the ones expected, blamed, or whatever for picking up the pieces of kids learning/testing performances when this is said and done.

But truly, SYMPATHY for all who are doing the best they can!!!

I am involved in retail industry groups on calls every day and I can assure you that retailers (including grocery, pharmacy, animal etc) are doing everything possible to keep their distribution centers open and keep the supply chain going. At this point, if people weren’t being so unreasonable and hoarding, things would be a whole lot better.

H and I are over 60, and we’re trying to determine this also. I’m waiting to hear back from the Publix pharmacy about 90-day refills before going to the store. We’re out of some perishable items and would have gone already, but we’re trying to minimize exposure. Now I wonder if the trip to get our meds should be our last for several weeks. I’ve asked H to remove beer, seltzer and dietCoke from the refrigerator, leaving only one of each to be replaced when it’s used. Then we’ll see how much room we have for perishables such as orange juice and Lactaid milk. I’ll keep my list to 10 items so I can use the quick checkout lane.

D is teacher. The student are out. Teachers will be there today and tomorrow preparing packets (elementary so no online stuff). They will required to have “office hours” at home for parents to call for help. District will route calls thru some Google thing so that the school is not giving out teacher’s personal numbers which is cool. If mandated testing gets waived it will be a major relief for teachers. They are continuing to get paid.

PhD student D is still getting paid from stipend and fellowship and the center she works for occasionally sent a nice email saying that they will find work to their student workers. Students are asked to let them know if that want or need work because they are short of funds.

My brother is stuck here (work based in Amsterdam) and Yale grad D is still here so my prep for two is out the window since we are now four. Plan to eat fresh and continue to shop while possible and safe and save canned stuff for now.

Wow. Driving to work today was like a holiday. No traffic at all in Chicago or going to Beloit Wisconsin (wife), or to Naperville (me).

Patient load is light and spread out. Moved our waiting room chairs and taking some out to spread them out. Took magazines out as I stated. We normally take the credit cards but might have people do their own swiping (not sure cord is long enough…)…

@romanigypsyeyes I can understand the in-laws wanting to get it over with. Not totally rational but makes sense in a way. The problem is that due to mutations, do we know that we are immune once we have it?

Decided to make pancakes for DH and self today. Haven’t had them in eons.

Students from k-12 who are on free lunch will be able to do a drive-through pick up 2 meals each day at the school.

Online classes have already begun. Some of the teachers are getting very creative, some struggling. I love them all

Or in any school where there are students from poor families…

I think you need to not let anyone see the baby for awhile. Period. You can FaceTime them.

These are unusual times and we all need to do things differently.

@runnersmom you may already know this, but I found out this year that it is illegal to ship prescription meds if not a pharmacist/pharmacy (maybe there are other exceptions). I think I accidently had son’s meds sent to home instead of college or vice versa by our mail order company but they were able to send directly to him since order had processed or something like that. It worked out, but I did not send directly to him myself. I’m guessing in these times, a pharmacy/doctor would work with you and even duplicate the order if she is away from meds and send them to you if it is a prescription.

Where I am and have all my prescriptions filled (CVS) they have delivery service. They also have drive-thru windows for drop off and pick up.

I’d look into switching pharmacies to ones who have those services. A pain, but better than having to go inside a market.

This was in my papers Daily update.

I would assume it’s nationwide but not 100% sure.

“6:50 a.m. Dollar General establishes hours only for senior citizens. Beginning Tuesday, the first hour of operation at Dollar General stores will be dedicated to senior shoppers only. Stores will also be closing an hour early for employees to clean and re-stock shelves.”

I went out this morning. Needed to make some deposits for others at a bank. It’s not my bank so I need to show up in person (maybe this will kick start me to set up Venmo).

I also did my car emissions testing…before they close up shop. Car passed?

I then went to Target. If you want laundry detergent or dish washing soap…go there…plenty of that. No sanitizing products until I saw a Soft Scrub with Bleach…I can use that to clean my white sinks! There was exactly one loaf of Arnold’s bread left…the only bread there. I bought it.

Then I decided to visit my local Goodwill. It was empty…very empty.

I’m home now…can’t imagine I need to go out again soon. So if our state mandates staying home…I’m good to go
,

Soft Scrub with bleach rocks.