One local restaurant is defiant and is not closing. They are getting a lot of grief on the local Facebook page. (and they are a buffet no less).
An outdoor store is reporting a 7 hour wait in line to buy firearms.
One local restaurant is defiant and is not closing. They are getting a lot of grief on the local Facebook page. (and they are a buffet no less).
An outdoor store is reporting a 7 hour wait in line to buy firearms.
I did a big online foodshop right after the president’s speech where he talked about restricting flights and international shipments. So, I am stocked for at least another week and have been staying out of stores just to avoid the craziness. @Hoggirl - if you can keep shopping, and picking up fresh stuff, I’d do that sparingly and use the dried/canned/frozen stuff sparingly/keep it in reserve just in case.
DD, a freshman in HS, has started online classes. Only one of her classes has teachers live on google hangout to teach in person. The other teachers have uploaded powerpoints basically, and assignments and are available to email or facetime during the class period if you need them. So far, she has not needed them and has been done with her assignments by noon. I suspect her dad and I are going to need to start mandating some kind of afternoon documentary watching or something. Her lunch table had a virtual hangout yesterday during their lunch period time.
@Nrdsb4 - I’m so sorry about your dog. Losing a pet is hard under any circumstance. And I’m sorry this situation is really pushing your buttons, stress-wise. We get all the hurricanes where I live-so empty groceries stores pre and post storms are not so shocking here. Sometimes reading everyones reports can gin up the stress level, but for me, I find it very helpful to know what is going on out there, and get the heads up as things change so rapidly. Hang in there. I personally like to escape into books.
They also shouldn’t see you if they’re not willing to take measures against being infected. According to what we know, baby isn’t at much risk but you are.
Being in their late fifties, they are too. I saw an article yesterday about this one hospital in Teaneck NJ, where they had 11 coronavirus patients, all between the ages of 28 and 48, half in the ICU. It’s not just young people who get very sick.
Teacher here, married to one as well. This is the reality. We will work from home doing distance learning as soon as our districts give the directive, and we will ultimately be held accountable for how it goes. Whether or not kids can get online. Whether or not their parents keep them on a schedule and make sure they do the work.
And at some point, maybe we won’t be paid. There’s a lot we don’t know, so we’re taking it one day at a time, prepping for what comes next, and we will be there to help normalize things for everyone’s kids when we eventually go back to a population of little humans who have never experienced anything like this.
My grandmother taught during the depression. She said one year the school year was only 6 months because that was all there was money for.
S’s school has given them time until next week to clear out of the dorms/apartments. We are planning to drive the 8+ hours tomorrow evening and come back Thurdsay with him. Will have go through NY/NJ - hopefully won’t run into issues.
We’ll likely stay one night somewhere in the DC area. We’ve done this trip several, several times but this one feels so strange. We’ll have to stop, get gas, get food somewhere along the way. Stay at a hotel overnight. I am going crazy thinking of all the possibilities and H couldn’t be bothered. Here’s hoping we get S and come back home safe.
Does anyone has parents or relatives that are snowbirds? What are their plans? Do they plan on staying in place?
I was checking up on my mil and she mentioned all of her friends that are away right now. One couple has been in Mexico since the first of the year. They are planning on coming back at the end of the month. They say they have to, that their rent is up.
I know plenty of people who have rented until the end of this month.
I’m truly worried about this migration this year.
I’ve gotten a text 30 minutes (driving time) before expected time to see the doctor. That way, if he runs late you have no wait time once you arrive at the office. If you don’t arrive within 30 minutes after the text, you lose your spot. It works - I arrived with 5 minutes still to go and was ushered straight in to a room.
My mother did also. One year she agreed to teach for half salary; the second year, she taught without any salary. The agreement was that the she would be reimbursed when the depression ended. Sure enough she got her full amount several years later with thanks for continuing to teach. (State of Louisiana - I don’t the district but it was small.)
My CA county is one of the ones under a ‘shelter in place’ order. We were notified last night - the other 7 counties were notified earlier in the day.
The timing of our Costco run yesterday morning - before any of the shelter orders - turned out to be fortuitous - thanks to just plain dumb luck.
After the first 7 counties were put on notice, the run on local stores - in our still ‘free’ county - began in earnest. Costco was only allowing a certain number of people inside by 4:00 pm. The in town grocery stores were jammed.
I decided it would be prudent to pick up some extra dog food (our little guy has allergies and does best on a particular brand). The local feed store (yes, provides hay, chicken food etc) is a small family run business. They had a system in place to provide what was needed and yet still keep people safer. From your car in the parking lot you could call, text or hand them an order. Your order would be assembled. You’d get a call with the total due and provide payment info. Then the stuff was brought out and put directly into your car. People were patient and thankful.
Other local business have put out pleas for support. One specialty bakery has asked that we consider placing orders for delivery or pickup in the future. They simply can’t survive a 3 week shut down.
My yoga teacher is posting online sessions.
A number of local restaurants have established drive thru delivery service with delivery to elderly if needed.
It’s sunny this morning. There is a large network of walking/hiking trails right outside my front door. The dog and I will be making use of these in a bit. Even in normal times one rarely encounters many people on these trails. It will be easy to keep a 6 foot - or 12 foot distance from others who are also trying to stay sane with a bit of sun and fresh air.
Just received a text from my dentist’s office. Following the recommendation of the American Dental Association, their office will be closed for at least the next 3 weeks. They’ll see patients for emergencies only.
Today was the first day I’ve been able to do a major grocery run. I did one last week in another state for my daughter, who just had a baby; by the time I got home 4 days ago, the stores were bonkers and I decided to see if things calmed down this week.
It wasn’t too bad! I live near a large Wegmans in central NY, which now closes between midnight and 6 AM for cleaning and restocking. When I arrived at 7:30 AM, the store was only a bit busier than usual at that hour. They had a moderate amount of TP and lots of bottled water (their own brands) available. I didn’t buy any but checked to report here, lol. There was very little in the meat department, and none of their pre-made corned beef dinners, to my disappointment. OTC meds were fairly picked over, and frozen veggies were spotty. Rye and whole wheat bread were available, but other varieties weren’t.
People seemed very considerate of each other, keeping a 6 foot distance If at all possible. It was much quieter than usual - maybe because we were all concentrating on touching fewer surfaces, not touching our faces, and not forgetting something so we won’t have to be back soon.
The shelter in place orders do not prohibit going out to buy food or doing outdoor activity following social distancing rules (see 10.a):
https://www.santacruzhealth.org/Portals/7/Pdfs/Coronavirus/Shelter%20in%20Place%20Order%20March%2016%202020.pdf
Same news from my dentist here in Wisconsin. My cleaning appointment for tomorrow is rescheduled because of the directive from the American Dental Association.
I find myself a little anxious this time each day as our Governor (DeWine) does a press conference each day at 2pm - what will we be told to THIS day? 
We have clear lights swagged over our living area windows for the holidays, and it’s easier to leave them up than detach-remove-replace every year. I just turned them on to cheer things up around here.
@ignatius Nice…have to consider that. Had 2 people call today to reschedule since they flew to X city to get their kids from college. One had a kid with a cold and wondered if she should come in. She did after I talked with her and OK’s it…slow today but Thursday should be hopping. Surgery tomorrow…should go smoothly…hopefully…
I just had FaceTime lunch with my cousin in CT. We are going to compile a list of our favorite shows w/ a short synopsis on Netflix, AP, Apple TV, etc., then movies and books and send it to everyone in our family. So now I have homework.
Time to walk the dogs, then yoga and then my homework.
For those with older parents etc…keep them hydrated with water. Have them eat or drink (Ensure) protein and have a good diet. Lots of older people like my mom don’t get hungry or not in the mood. Lots of them will have a danish or such with coffee…this is how to lower your immunity. No protein to help fight it and coffee dehydrates especially when your older. Throw in some constipation and now stress on the system…
Also , keep them moving , if they can. Get up and walk around their apartment. Don’t let the lungs get filled up if they have a cold. If they don’t have a https://medicalsupplies.healthcaresupplypros.com/92719009?msclkid=3fa253f679bc1f0f92560d87763f9c1d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product%20Ads&utm_term=4580702887441944&utm_content=All
Many older people do since they were in the hospital at one time…use it. Blowing into it helps to clear the lungs…
Community: Dane County, Wisconsin, now has community spread of the disease (people infected who had no known exposure to a person with the disease or travel to a hot spot).
Family: My older daughter started a Family Pandemic Entertainment list on Google Docs for our extended family.
Me: I’m considering trimming my own bangs, even though I’m terrible at it, because I’ll be working at home and limiting time in public for several weeks.
The local Amish/Mennonite market I like was well stocked this morning. Plenty of produce, eggs, meats, etc. The only outages were TP (of course) and a few individual brands of milk, which appeared to be in the process of being re-stocked. But given the headlines in the paper, I don’t think most of the other grocery stores around here are faring quite so well. Luckily, the store I like has direct relationships with local and out of state farms so it looks like they still have access to restock.
I’m going to wait for at least a few days before braving Costco. Even during normal times it is a zoo during tourist season, can’t imagine what it’s like right now. Yikes.
My younger son keeps worriedly asking me if we have enough TP. I told him yes and that’s true for at least a week or two, by which time I hope the whole TP thing is starting to normalize again. Otherwise, we’re going to find out which of the many leaves in the yard make the best TP substitute… 