@milee30 just make sure those leaves aren’t poison ivy or poison oak ?
Those plants thankfully don’t have TP- quality leaves. ![]()
My adult D lives in Portland - the Governor declared a ban on gatherings over 25 individuals for a month. My D was put on layoff Saturday from her job as a sommelier in an intimate (28 seat) cafe, so at least she can file for unemployment. This is a first for her, and she is extremely anxious. I’m doing my best to assure her but it’s hard. This brings up all the anxieties. Food, money, shelter, health. She’s an empath so tends to really feel things deeply. I’ve assured her that as a parent I won’t let anything happen to her but that’s little solace right now. Her 2 yoga classes are up online daily, and she is going on a hike today. Maybe a friend or 2 will join her.
Meanwhile my entire work office (including work phone) is set up on my dining room table. I’ve found myself working more than when I was in my office. Maybe it’s anxiety reduction, but I think I’m trying to ensure all the companies i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed - putting some new procedures in place, etc. We’re on schedule with nationwide staff (60 total) for 2 (minimum) video conference calls a day (one at start one at end). We’re using zoom, which has worked out well so far…but we’re only on day 3.
I do want to run a couple of errands today the gas station - I’ve neglected to keep a full tank of gas in the car (throwback to the earthquake preparedness) - and some fresh produce. I’ve read on Nextdoor that produce is plentiful as most were (are) stocking up on frozen and shelf stable items.
Interestingly I’m cooking more. Like when my D was little…we hardly ever ate a meal out. So I’m revisiting my favorite big batch soup recipes and baked pasta dishes. The sun is out today (it was cruddy and rainy yesterday - but my wind chimes were delightful) so my sliders are open and it does make me feel less confined and down. I missed out on my 3 mile daily walk yesterday but today I may take 2!
There are so many cool things popping up online right now. Artful. Educational.
This one reminds me of Bob Ross: https://www.kennedy-center.org/education/mo-willems/
And this is truly wonderful: https://www.kennedy-center.org/digitalstage/
Stay healthy all.
Hmmm, having mom with us for the next quarter will be a bit cozy—May have to figure out rotation on air bed. Not fair to S to have sur es un living room ALL that time.
Maybe we can have other family members buy us food and we can continue isolating with mom. Don’t really want her exposed to them as they aren’t isolating very well with continuing to work or having people in their household working.
An 80 year old family friend was adamant last week that she would keep all her appointments this week: haitdresser, veterinarian, tax accountant. My wife had her watch a long news clip of the situation in Italy. She has cancelled those appoimtments.
Just talked with d1 who is working on the front lines.
Some interesting facts D passed along-
Two of colleagues in EM were called up to active duty yesterday. This leaves her hospital short staffed, but no one can really begrudge their absence. (One is an expert in disaster management, including epidemics. He’s on his way to New Rochelle.)
Two of her colleagues from residency now work in NYC hospitals. She said they are seeing “nothing but COVID patients in the ER.”
Wearing gloves in public really won’t prevent you from catching COVID. The coronavirii (Including the common cold) are so small they pass through the pores in rubber/vinyl/nitrile gloves. She equated it being like to throwing a tennis ball (coronavirus) at the floor of a basketball court (pore size in gloves). The only thing that glove might do is remind you not to touch your face. Using a tissue to prevent touching a surface is equally as futile.
You should thoroughly wash your hands BEFORE and AFTER using protective gloves.
Oral thermometers are inaccurate. Only rectal thermometers are are accurate for taking one’s temperature. (Multiple studies support this.) She said that if you feel like you have a fever, assume you have a fever.
And she once again reiterated–STAY HOME and stay away from people unless you are going to the pharmacy or the grocery store.
She is in CT, and she spent 90 minutes waiting outside in the rain to get inside a grocery store because they are only allowing 20 people at a time inside. She did, however, score a 4 pack of TP.
I posted this elsewhere but it probably belongs here-- to take a break from the craziness of cabin fever, I am listening to a live John Legend Concert https://www.daytondailynews.com/events/concerts/john-legend-live-stream-live-free-concert-this-afternoon/Ok57xs6JOfoM3y1RsvzpmN/?fbclid=IwAR2uR-XRd8DS9ZPYbRZXkdh7fsA9c6Dz17sZ4jPKf1zv3niTB_h9FoXHC1E
@WayOutWestMom and other posters with family members and friends (or themselves) on the front lines: Please thank them from all of us!
I love our teachers, and incredibly appreciated what they are doing preparing online lessons. But it’s so interesting to see the disparity among teachers in term of technology and creativity level/skillset.
Some are so good and so creative with video conferring, posting lectures on YouTube. Some can’t even spell “Zoom” 
“And the 70’s” Bwahaha! Thanks for the much needed laugh!
My son and daughter+BF live on different floors in a highrise not far from Mass General in Boston. Just received an email that someone who lives in the building tested positive. Ugh. They are planning to drive down to my house later today - they’ve all worked from home and self-quarantined for the past 10 days, and worn gloves and masks during the few grocery runs they’ve made, plus attention to hand washing and all that. Should they do an additional quarantine at my house? Not sure how well I can quarantine four people since younger S is already isolated in the basement since coming home from college and was in-season athlete taking spring trips, etc.
Maybe the 4 can stay at the house and you can stay in a lovely hotel? Wont be able to complelely stay away from others, but it might be delightful 
My eye doctor’s office is open as usual. They called to confirm the appointment
How does virus move? Can they move without liquid medium, like on dry surface? The holes may be large enough for them to pass through but if they are not very mobile, they may not get through. The only way may be if we directly touch the virus, they hitch a ride?
Is anyone in a high risk category, in poor health? If not, I’d probably think you are okay.
DS is an emt in college and I asked him to bring back his thermostat because we can’t find any locally. I also called my elderly neighbors to ask if they needed anything from the store. Feeling pretty accomplished today 
Viruses don’t have legs or tails or any flagella etc. and can’t move unaided. They move like a particle would - aided by diffusion, convection in the fluid it is present in, etc.
D said there were only about half the usual customers at the coffee shop where she works.
I’m encouraged but I hope the numbers drop even lower.
@Iglooo
I’d ask her, but she was eating lunch then going to work for the next 12 hours. She’s working 12s every day until Monday. (Monday will be her last 12, then she has 1 (0ne!) day off and goes right back to work.)
To the best of my understanding, coronavirii form thick lipid capsules to prevent the virus from drying out & dying. The capsules exist like dust on dry, non- porous surfaces (See fomites.) The virus can live for several days in this encapsulated form. If I understood her explanation correctly, mechanical pressure is enough to force some encapsulated virus through glove pores, but how much depends on how heavily contaminated the surface is. This why you must wash your hand after removing protective gloves.
There is a tall native wildflower called mullein that is also known as hiker’s TP. You may have some in a local vacant lot somewhere.
Also known to help respiratory ailments! But not if you’ve already used it…
https://www.motherearthliving.com/plant-profile/herb-to-know-mullein-verbascum-thapsus
To perhaps give everyone something to do as we self isolate for a while.
Call five friends - especially ones you haven’t spoken to in a while and say hello.
Call five seniors in your life outside of your immediate family.
Do five nice things for someone else.
Learn five new things or try five new things.
Definitely read five new books.