Coronavirus: What are You doing ( if anything) to prepare/ What are you personally observing?

Dentist office here told me that the ADA just sent out guidelines today. My April cleaning is now in May.

The Orthopaedic practice is still business as usual, according to their website. My appointment is Friday and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that gets cancelled.

I went to the hairdresser today. There is sentiment there that these businesses will be closed by the end of the week.

Hah! My green/farmer lad just pointed a couple of these plants out to us on our walk today and said the same thing.

I guess that means we’re set with the “basics” though I’m not sure how long a couple of plants will last us (four of us here).

Things you didn’t want to know but discovered about each other during extended togetherness…

Oldest son is finishing up the end of his quarter at college this week before he returns home. I was joking with him about the TP situation and asking if he could bring a roll or two home. He was very sympathetic about how I’d be in trouble if we ran out of TP, because “girls need TP.” When I asked if that meant he thought boys didn’t use TP, there was a very long pause. :-0

I must admit I had a bit of a suspicion about his theory on this matter since after he left for college, our water bill went down by more than half but our TP consumption didn’t really change. I’m going to have to swallow hard and have a frank and detailed discussion with him on why boys need TP, too. But I’ll wait until after we’ve stocked up to tell him. :slight_smile:

Today I made a run to the store, but they were pretty much wiped out of everything. But, the bakery had fresh French bread so I purchased a loaf.

I also completed my kids Easter Baskets. Yep, they are 22 and 27 years old, but they still enjoy getting treats in their baskets that a neighbor gave them 20+ years ago. I mailed D1 and SIL’s today. Actually, I probably get a greater sense of enjoyment in making them than they do receiving them.

I picked up my new prescription glasses and am at the tail end of the quilting part of a baby quilt I’m making for the produce clerk at our grocery store. I’ve known him since he was in high school. He’s 28 and his GF is pregnant with their third child.

Although there are no known cases of COVID-19 in our county yet, I know there will be eventually. I feel I’m ready to self quarantine and let this all pan out. D1 will experiment working from home on Thursday. It may not be suitable for her. D2 is working from home already. H and I are retired, so we are as prepared as we can be.

I have a corned beef brisket in the Instant Pot. So…yum!

Just dawned on me to check my earthquake supplies. A 4 pack of TP! My secret stash!

Too funny gosmom! Glad you have that!

Mr. B, after seeing me googling bean recipes, “Ahem, please don’t make any bean dishes if you want to preserve our TP stash.”

Our local women’s club did the same! We also provided lists of books, movies, and games that we had to create a little lending library to borrow from (our libraries are closed).

Today I worked at school, one of the only schools that is had teacher still going to work in person rather than remotely. We had training on how to teach remotely using cool tools and had to sit all spread out in the auditorium. I sat as far away from everyone else as possible. Several people started coughing in the auditorium and continued much of the time. It was a dry-sounding cough. One is a teacher in the classroom next to me. The teacher across the hall has a spouse he said works in the ER with people coming in with symptoms! I found it so incredibly stressful to be there today that I got a doctor’s note about my lower immunity and asthma saying I should work from home. I’m still feeling stressed out inside. I was OK with the idea of going there if we were all staying apart from one another and working in our rooms, and with people being told if they are sick, if they have a cough, they should not come in. I’m not at all OK with coughing people coughing all around the place and having to be in a room with them, however large the room. Knowing that Chinese bus study, I chose to sit in the very bad, so I was way behind and away from the coughing people, but still!! It is spreading in our state and could be in this area any time or already. Those people coughing could have it for all I know. I’m very glad to be home. I’m not planning to go to any stores around here. If I had a different immune system i would feel very differently perhaps.

If restrictions on what types of businesses may operate increase, you should expect barber / hairdresser services to stop being available (unless done yourself or by someone you live with), especially since it is impractical to do them from 6 feet away.

I had my first messages from students today on the online portal and i liked the feeling of teaching, even if it isn’t as good as doing it in person. I also made a group for our math club and before i even got the first math challenge posted, two students noticed it and excitedly started talking about how happy they were to get to go to Math Club even if it was virtual. These are bright young people who love to learn and I’m so glad I decided to offer to carry on the club in virtual form. Now I’m thinking of ideas to use with them. I think they would find this video that proves 0.999 repeating = 1 to be interesting. I found a bunch of fund challenge problems and put them up but they went through many already. Anyway, one bright spot. Oh, another bright spot, a student who is weaker academically already did all the work in the packet I gave the class for two weeks time (its been 1/2 a week). I’m proud of her! She said she was going to work all Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to finish it all so she could have free time. But she was asking for more work already. :slight_smile:

College daughter was told today that all classes with be graded pass/fail this semester. She is very unhappy.

Actually, @romanigypsyeyes that is not an entirely terrible idea. My daughter --the EM doc–has jokingly told me that’s better to be an “early adopter” when it comes to epidemics.

Once the doctors have identified the disease (which we have) and have some idea of how to treat it (we do), then you want to catch it before hospitals get overwhelmed, critical medical supplies run out and medical providers get exhausted .

Of course, she was just kidding because the best plan is not to get sick in the first place.

She told me AGAIN today–don’t go out, mom. Just don’t. Stay home. Only to the grocery store and pharmacy, and only if necessary.

And I’ll add, please don’t go the ER unless you are really, really sick. Just don’t. They’re slammed.

Received an email from my hair salon that they will be closed until April 1st at this time. I had a color appointment scheduled in 11 days; guess I won’t be the only person around with grey roots!

After many hours of pleading from my children, I have decided not to go to work the rest of this week, and will decide about next week over the weekend, although I am sure I will stay out. I am the oldest at 63 in our medical practice, and I think everyone understands. I will have to use PTO first as I don’t think I can use FMLA or LOA at this time. The way our handbook reads is PTO must be used first before FMLA can kick in. I went through this last year when my dad was sick and then passed away. Then my daughter had a baby that I was scheduled to help her with as she was having a planned C-Section. I actually wanted to save my PTO, but was forced to use PTO. My daughter actually works in HR and plans to draft a letter for me to save my butt if the higher ups decide to weed out the weakest.

I think what surprises me the most is my adult children’s strong opinion about self quarantine; my daughter, SIL and DIL are doing so, and they are adamant we stay home for two weeks due to our age and health. My son and husband are both physicians, so are still working. As I wasn’t able to get all the groceries I needed on Friday, my daughter wants to send us grocery delivery before that also stops. We have become those old people who have their children taking care of them, evening when we don’t feel or act old!

Deleted

Looks like Walmart, the grocery stores and target are not doing car side here since at least yesterday. I had a Walmart car side ordered on Saturday with the earliest pickup on Monday. Then they cancelled on me Sunday night saying it was their error and to just reorder everything. I immediately did but there was no time ever available.

@WayOutWestMom the problem is that 1. we don’t know for sure that people can’t get reinfected, 2. they literally do not care about how their actions affect other people, and 3. my MIL is diabetic.

It wouldn’t be a problem if they got it and stayed home, but they won’t. They want to get it and still come see their soon to be born grand baby, their immune compromised DIL, and continue to work. My MIL is a receptionist at a doctor’s office!

About barber shops/hairdressers, we have good friends in Madrid who have basically been on lockdown for about a week now. According to the local authority, trips outside the apartment must be limited to essential work (whatever is still open), grocery/pharmacy, walking a dog, and… the **hairdresser/b! Apparently, the rationale is that some people cannot keep themselves clean, and this exception will help them.

It’s crazy, but true, apparently.

Local supermarket chain just announced “Senior’s Only” shopping M-W-F from 7 am to 8am. Seniors are anyone 60 or over.

@MaterS which school. Not sure how I would feel about this. Some kids want it, but others who have worked so hard up until Midterms may feel otherwise.