My hairdresser canceled all her appointments last week until the end of the month.
Alabama schools are closed until at least April 6th, but they are preparing food to be distributed(probably grab-n-go type). I’m not sure if other school systems are doing this but our county is at this time. Buses will run their normal route once each week and you just go to the bus and pick up if you want the food, car riders can pull up behind the lunchroom and it will be brought to your car. Our county schools are not doing online instruction due to the fact that many people don’t have access to high speed internet or computers. The teachers prepared packets that could be picked up Monday for anyone interested, it was optional though so they are basically on a long vacation but aren’t supposed to go anywhere.
My daughter and I have both been in bed sick most of today, if she isn’t better tomorrow I will call the doctor’s office, but I don’t want to go in unless necessary.
The local stores are doing a good job of restocking, though later in the day lots is wiped out. They have set aside the first hour of business for elderly customers and at least one of the grocery stores has added the option to order online and have your order brought to your car. One of the church food pantry’s that opens for a while on Wednesday is open tomorrow, but a bag of food will be brought out to vehicles instead of going inside. My daughter’s orthodontist appointment at the end of the month was rescheduled today. My son will be home from college tomorrow and with all 4 of us here my already small food budget is going to be very strained.
My Hair salon is closing tomorrow until further notice.
My husband went to a bunch of grocery stores and it says that the new thing he cannot find is chicken. Since we have a kid that doesnt eat red meat, and another that is Gluten Free, chicken works best. He said he found wings. Meanwhile I am out in the wild of Rochester NY moving DS out. Since kids were allowed to stay until April 5th, there is still some movement on campus now. His roommate is from Indonesia and is now returning this weekend. Stayed on campus over spring break. I feel so bad for the hotels, airlines, etc. One wonderful parent agreed to allow us to store stuff at their home 30 minutes from campus . THere are good human beings out there.
I did bring wipes and hand sanitizer with me. On the airplane the flight attendants wear gloves and also collect sanitizing wipes now. say not to put in seat pocket.
NY is a take out/delivery only state now. So the subway at airport has the seats up , but you can walk about 50 feet and sit near a gate and eat. I think while airports are still open the “restaurant” rule is interesting.
I would be at home hunking down, but had to do this trip. I feel better knowing that upstate NY is not a hotbed of activity yet. When I get home , need to stay , not even going to the store for 14 days
We were planning to drive straight through to my daughter’s home in NC (Outer Banks OBX) later this week as kids are officially out of school for at least another month. As of 2:00 today, they have cut off all access to OBX to visitors. You must be a resident…checkpoints, etc. We were supposed to move up there in May…this feels so surreal.
@sdl0625 I prefer not to say but I think there wil be a lot of push back.
My hairdresser texted that they’d be closed until April 7th, which I knew because everything is closed. I suspect the closures will be longer.
I dye my hair-- well, my hairdresser dyes it-- and lately I’ve been wearing it very short. By the time I get to see my hair guy again, I’m going to have a lot of gray hair. I’m thinking this might be the impetus for me to go gray completely, what the heck.
I am going to my barber and getting a crew cut tomorrow! Who knows what will happen? I see no skepticism, no pushback at all yet from the citizenry. The herd is moving fast and we could get a real lockdown for who knows how long. I don’t want to get too shaggy.
We are already eating our “supply” of food. Our freezer isn’t that large, so we don’t ever have a ton. We do have lots of soup and cereal if we run out of “better” things to eat. We certainly won’t starve.
I still have to go to work, but my husband is teleworking full time now.
We’ve been doing our normal weekly shopping so far, but may not make it this week.
My hair salon also sent closing notice, and offered customers the option to buy gift cards online for future use.
I have to say, I’m surprised how much people here on CC seem to be going out and about. Unless I have a real need at the grocery store I’m not looking to go to any stores.
It’s been work - home - outside time. Starting tomorrow, work at home - outside time.
Went to the store to get some greens today, and i was surprised to see almost everything was stocked up, especially the fresh fruits and veggies. They even had TP, I was so happy b/c we only had a week left of TP at home. 2 packs per customers (6 rolls each pack). Not too bad at all. The only thing that was bare was chicken. They had lot of beef, especially that gigantic beef thingy for St Patrick.
For a few minutes I feel like things were going back to normal.
You’ve made similar cryptic comments on the other COVID-19 thread as well. What’s your point?
"It is really breathtaking to behold the thundering herd!
Who said the first casualty of war is truth?"
I wonder how many people will let their hair grow to its natural color. Or won’t have an option.
I’ve never grown a beard. Oddly it’s not a thing in my corporation or industry. I am going to do it.
Not saying I’ll keep It. Just want to see if I can and will it be games of thrones excellent or teenage first try style. Lol
CA governor said schools may not open for the rest of the school year. ? just unbelievable.
I don’t think IN schools will go back. Just a guess, but the majority get out the last 2 weeks of May. That’s only 8 weeks away. I guess time will tell.
I think any long-term attempts at e-learning won’t fare well with a lot of students and/or parents. I’m already seeing a ton of fb posts that people’s internet isn’t keeping up and/or they had to buy “tokens” to get enough speed. If there’s limited internet and parents are working from home, they’ll call first dibs.
D’s Seattle office didn’t close until today. I’ve been hounding her for weeks to buy groceries. No…now she finally goes to order groceries and finds out the first delivery day is Saturday. Ahem…
I think the rest of this school year will be virtual only (at best), k-12 and college.
This is truly uncharted territory. No matter how bad I have it I have the most heartbreaking story.
My college roommate texted me and her dad had a brain bleed two nights ago. I am close with her entire family. There are 8 children. He is in palliative care and not expected to live through the night. The hospital is trying to kick them out because there are too many of them. Where is the compassion. The Corona is not going to harm her father. Why can’t they just isolate her family with their father so he can die with dignity surrounded by his family.
I’m sorry, @bhs1978. That is heartbreaking.
My dad just died—there was my mom and 7 kids and 6 spouses. The hospital and staff was very compassionate and even moved the patient sharing a room to another room to give us more space. Dad was in the hospital got two weeks. We were very grateful!