Coronavirus: What are You doing ( if anything) to prepare/ What are you personally observing?

@thumper1… Wow!!! Can you go visit my daughter at her barista job at college? Lol…

Now that the official orders have been posted, please do not rely on secondary sources that may have incomplete information.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Pages/order-health-officer-031620.aspx
https://www.smcgov.org/press-release/march-16-2020-health-officer%E2%80%99s-shelter-place-order-formal-order
https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/files/HealthOrderC19-07-%20Shelter-in-Place.pdf

Sections 2, 5, 10.a.iii, and 10.j appear to be the relevant ones for going out on a bicycle ride.

We Bought a ton of canned foods along with what we usually buy at the grocery store. We still plan to go to the store if we need to but just be careful. We have plenty of non-perishable foods, but we are big Fruits and Veggies People. We also stocked up on any medications we were low on(Advil, Zyrtec, etc…).

The first case in out state was confirmed on Friday, since then the number of people with confirmed cases has increased to 29 confirmed cases. None of the cases are in our county or neighboring county’s(one of the good things about living in a rural area).

School will be closed from March 19th- April 6th(at a minimum). Our school(and state) is NOT doing online classes. Our state said that any work given to students over the break will be optional and that they will reconsider online classes if there is a extension of the cancellation. Even though the state said that teachers cant assign work, i still have a few teachers giving work and we will test over the week we get back.

I am resisted to take the April ACT and am awaiting a message about cancellation, because it is probably coming soon. My school doesn’t allow sophomores to take AP classes so i don’t have to worry about AP Exams(Thank goodness)!

We currently have plans to travel to Panama City Beach, as of right now we are still planing on going. We are staying in a smaller condo. We will be bringing Clorox Wipes and Disinfectant spray to clean the place we are staying when we get there and leave. We plan to practice social distancing and will be only in the room and beach. If a large Number of cases are confirmed in Bay County we will most likely cancel.

We are practicing social distancing because both of my parents are older(56 and 67). I also have grandparents in their 80’s. We aren’t going to church or eating out. We are less worried about the virus itself, we are scared of what effects it will have on life while it it spreading.

I don’t know about this. My immunology place’s covering doctor told me today the trouble is that it is airborne (hangs in the air) and that a lot of asymptomatic people are transmitting the virus. The coming week is critical to controlling things. He said it is good that the country is doing mass shut downs of public things and that a week later and things would be much, much worse. I don’t know how you can know for sure what is a ‘hot zone.’ The virus takes 7-21 days or so to show up in infected people. Our area is now becoming a ‘hot zone.’ By the map of our state, no one near me has it yet but I know that someone who works in the next town and also someone who works in the next, next town (both places we go often normally), have it but live further away. The map shows people having it based on where these two people live, not on where they work, so it hides the spread in my local area. Also, they are still not doing much testing in our state. The doctor said i should act as if I have it and everyone around me has it at this point and practice social distancing and wash my hands as often as possible. It is and can be anywhere at this point. I’m glad if you are not in a place like this but it is coming to you soon if it isn’t already there yet.

I just read an email from my aunt written by someone in New Rochelle who said she did everything right, washed her hands, etc, but has the virus now. And she said her symptoms are mild and if we were near her in a store we wouldn’t know she has it but she would be spreading it if she went out so is staying home. Doctors also told her that people with minor symptoms and no symptoms are the prime spreaders of this and people who don’t stay home.

@thumper1

What a lovely gesture! Karma will be good to you.

@Nrdsb4, so sorry about your pup.

I could feel my anxiety rising yesterday so call my PCP and he called in a script for Lorazepam. The receptionist told me I am not alone. A lot of calls for anti anxiety drugs.,

Just knowing I have it now if I really need it has helped.

I also have stopped watching the news and reading the big CV thread here. I don’t have to be hit over the head with how bad it is everywhere. I’m only reading the Covid19 update in my local paper. I think it’s helped me cutting down on a lot of trading/listening.

For those of you wondering if you should go somewhere and talking about whether a place is a “hot spot” or not, look at how much testing is being done in that state (you likely won’t find the data broken down by area). Just because a place has no cases, doesn’t mean it’s not there. If they are hardly doing any testing, which is still happening in many places, they aren’t going to find cases. The states with a high number of cases are doing more testing and, therefore, finding cases.

There’s a reason why prudent leaders - governors and mayors - are shutting down businesses and schools, limiting restaurants to takeout, etc. It’s to tell you to stay home. You may have no restrictions in your area but I highly suggest you stay home anyway.

Things are changing rapidly. All our county schools just announced they will remain closed thru 4/6 at least. (Spring break is this week.) Today I very sadly cancelled a trip to my aunt/godmother’s funeral just at the time I was to leave. (I was to drive 8hrs across several states, riding with my brother another 5 hrs.–just sad to miss this time with family, but decided it was imprudent.) Shortly after I cancelled, my sister reported that Catholic bishops in Ohio had cancelled all masses --except that weddings and funerals would still be allowed, but suggest immediate family only in attendance. My 86 yo dad wants to attend, but not sure if that is prudent. My dad is now the last surviving member of his family/generation. HS Senior D’s spring break trip with friend’s family was also cancelled today. (Minutes after she bought a swimsuit for the trip…) Son’s employer (software co.) requiring working from home until further notice. Freshman D’s state gymnastics meet cancelled. Gym closed today. (D also works at the gym.) HS Senior D works serving food at a retirement community. Today they switched to meal delivery to residents’ apartments, no dining room/community meals. Another son is on a road trip to South Dakota with a group of friends where friend’s parents have a cabin. They found Mt. Rushmore closed. H (a primary care physician) has the rest of this week off–we were going to travel for spring break for the first time ever. Not happening. We might go to some local parks–the weather is bad, though.

@Marilyn

“Desperately trying to look a few years younger so we can rush out to get Passover supplies”

LOL

Stop and Shop have announced they’re opening from 6-7:30am for “elders” only to keep them away from others and be in the store at its cleanest and well-stocked.

Turns out I am in that demographic–who knew? Time to set an alarm clock!

@Marilyn… You have a nice sense of humor. We need that now…

I haven’t stocked up on anything and just finished my last box of Girl Scout cookies!, I need to find an early bird elderly grocery store so I can get some supplies!! I don’t think they have any around here.

Beach community San Diego

My daughter sent me this today. Really helps fully illustrate the value NOW of social distancing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Also, just an FYI note: I read recently that France has warned that if you do have Covid-19, taking ibuprofen or any NSAID (Advil, Cortisone, etc.) can make things worse, mainly because anti-inflammatories depress the immune system. The recommendation is to take paracetamol/acetaminophen (Tylenol) instead. I’ve read more to check that out, and there’s a lot of medical agreement. However, it also seems, too, as if it’s just best practice to avoid NSAIDs when the immune system is weak.

@jym626 We will have a serious talk with him tomorrow. We can’t talk with him tonight because he’s out. I did the find my friends thing and discovered he’s up in NH at another friend’s college (we are in central MA). I suspect they are moving this friend back home since everywhere seems to be closing. His car is in the driveway so he’s not driving. I think he just doesn’t get it. He can’t stand not doing things and thinks he’s invincible. He doesn’t seem to understand that every time he comes in contact with another person he can get infected and then bring it home to us.

I don’t know if he’s still planning to drive to Rochester tomorrow to move his friend home from RIT. It seems like a lot of driving after being out late tonight, but then again they are 19 and think they can do anything.

Baby, can you dig your man?

Not, with a bang but with a whimper.

The center cannot hold.

My favorite quotes of quotes from The Stand

This morning I read an article that it was 9 Bay Area counties going on lockdown, now it’s just 6. My D lives and works in Solano county which doesn’t seem to be listed in the chronicle article. She thinks her last day of work will be tomorrow. The courthouse is closing and the attorney she works for is really slow. H and one D are continuing to go to work but they work in a small office and their jobs are essential.
I went to Whole Foods this morning. They had chicken in the butcher department but the prepackaged stuff was cleared out. I got the last 3 chicken breasts. Dairy case, nuts, all soup, canned beans, dried beans, pasta, canned tomato products, cereal, crackers, flours, sugar, baking products were empty shelves. They had a decent amount of fresh produce and plenty of fruit. I didn’t check the cleaning supplies or TP aisle but assume they were out.
I will go to a volunteer program on Wednesday where we prepare meals for home bound people. As much as I love my gym classes I’ve decided it isn’t worth it.
Crazy times we are living in.

A kidney transplant patient who was on the cruise ship in Japan and his wife both tested positive. Both in their 60s. They report they they had zero symptoms at all. None.

Surprised, they continued to test positive for days and nothing. Wide said a mild fever she thought one night and gone the next morning. Not even a cough for either.

I’m glad to hear this but the message is we have have have have to follow the rules right now.

There are asymptomatic people out there and especially the younger folks. They can literally bring this to their families too.

Long talk with d. Luckily she’s a global health policy major and is all over it with her friends. But it is tough at that age.

@me29034 -He is 19 but you control the wallet!!
I know how hard it is, but what he is doing is simply becoming dangerous and irresponsible. Parenting is not easy. As nike says… just do it. :wink:

Very scary report by researchers about the coronavirus (from NY times): White House task force referred to it to determine their policy

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Trader Joe’s Monrovia announced early hours for seniors, so I suspect their other stores will follow. Went to Ralph’s (Kroger) at 9:30 this morning and they had a little bit of most staples & decent assortment of produce, lines were not bad. The meat section was mostly empty and a middle aged woman started sobbing, clearly overwhelmed by the sight. One of the managers at the back of the store hugged her until she calmed down. It will be one of the many memories of this event that will stay with me forever.

Our S19’s school announced today they are closing the dorms and everyone needs to move out, so I’ve rebooked him on a flight home to Tokyo this Thursday. I’ve been having this debate with myself for days whether he would be better off in Ohio or Tokyo (leaving aside the fact he’s in a low-risk group), but now that the decision ahs been made for me, I am relieved he is coming home. Things here in Tokyo are quieter than normal, but restaurants and shops are still open and there’s no obvious panic other than the bare space on the shelves where the TP and sanitizer should be. Japan is not doing much testing, so there was a concern there might be a lot going on under the surface, but even after a number of weeks, things still seem to be OK. Japanese people never shake hands (except with foreigners LOL) and a lot of people were already wearing masks because it is cedar pollen allergy season here, so maybe that helped quite a bit? Also, it has been common to have hand sanitizer available in workplaces and public places ever since the swine flu epidemic many years ago, so it was easy to pick up that habit again. Fingers crossed that appearances do not deceive in this particular case.