I would like to just hunker down but how is it possible? We went to Costco today for chicken. No chicken and I didn’t want to stand in line for anything else. My kid who lives with us works at Target. Okay, somebody has to work at Target but I feel like whatever I do to avoid the virus is negated by him being at the front lines all day every day. On the other hand, he was able to score some hand sanitizer.
I work at a small retail shop. I don’t feel I can bail on the owner when she’s trying to hang on. But I’m 69 with a lifelong history of asthma. Where does one draw the line? If I work in the backroom and have no contact with customers, is that prudent enough? Oh boy this stuff is hard.
I’d put your health first if you can afford it given your age and asthma. Depending where you live and how things progress (which they will) her shop might not be open much longer if it isn’t a food store, food purveyor or pharmacy.
As the upcoming completely elective plastic surgeries I’m supposed to work (I work in a private OR, so not actually part of a hospital) have still not been canceled (can you imagine insisting on having a boob job right now???), I’ve decided to call out for the first time in 9 years. If they stop calling me in after all this is over with, so be it.
@HImom , I don’t keeping with this thread fir every page, but I came across that your father passed away. I am very sorry, it’s surreal when that happens. I’m glad your family was together fir him and yourselves!
@Nrdsb4 , I’m also sorry about your dear cat. Fuzzy animal members are dear and gave such love. You have every right to grieve.
@Hoggirl , I also have about 2 weeks of emergency supplies. I’m not touching them yet. No need. If the time comes I can’t find things at week,y grocery shopping and is a true emergency (no TP on the shelves, and I’m out), then I’ll get my supply. Same with food. There might also be a time when we find out we really have it and 100% need to self-isolate.
Gentle reminder in case people don’t know (I didn’t)
If you order from a grocery service that delivers to your home. Or if you pick up groceries although I am less sure of this. Please give the delivery person a tip. I know that there is a delivery fee but the people delivering depend on tips.
If people don’t tip, honestly, less people will want to do that job. And we need that option.
I saw on another forum that a person wasn’t going to do this service anymore because people weren’t tipping. I’m not going to comment on this, but putting it out as information
Walked outside early this morning thankful that my newspaper is still delivered. I looked up in the dark sky and and saw a beautiful crescent moon and 2 very bright stars (maybe planets?) near it. I just looked at it and appreciated the beauty of it for a bit.
@Nrdsb4 ~ I am so sorry about your sweet kitty. Seeing our furry little friends through their last days is difficult in the best of times.
I am also having a a lot of anxiety over this. I am worried about the pandemic itself (obviously) but increasingly I am feeling overwhelmed by the domino effect it is having on virtually everything.
Like @FallGirl I have been starting my morning out with a walk too. (darn it, I wish we were close I’d walk 6 or even 8 feet away from you to walk together!!) I saw the same crescent moon and stars upon walking out of the house. It was a moment!
I really recommend starting your day off with some type of movement. Depending on your weather - a 15 minute walk, fresh air on your deck, 10 flights of home stairs, a walk to the end of the block and back. Do it EVERYDAY. Worth its wait mental health wise.
Today is my first day working from home. H is retired so I sure hope he understands I AM STILL working! I plan to take movement breaks throughout the day just as I would at work.
@doschicos re: my daughter she may come home tomorrow. She has a women’s physical check up today that she wanted to keep and they as of last night were still open with precautions. She was feeling a little better lonely wise yesterday. But I did assure her that I fully support paying her gas $$ to go back and forth the 2ish hours from our home to hers to help her get through this!
Also extra support and hugs to @Nrdsb4 - sending good vibes for a better day today!
I want to add to my post above (from last night) that I’m all in for the restrictive measures. I just hope that I and other people, especially my daughters, who live in shelter-in-place (or soon to be) hot zones, can adjust to this era, whether it’s temporary or the new normal.
I went out to the grocery store early yesterday morning, but will only do that when it’s absolutely necessary. I wish my store had sr hours, but they don’t yet.
I’ve gone for walks, but not on a daily basis. Sometimes even doing that concerns me since our immediate area is rather urban, but a few blocks away is residential with much fewer people.
I am most worried about my daughter. I really hope they are being super careful at the hospital where she works as a patient care technician. Her unit is usually full of very sick elderly patients, many of whom die during their hospitalization. She’s at the other end of NYS from me in Brooklyn.
@Knowsstuff ha! My son is on the spectrum and prefers to be alone and my d introverted…they have been practicing for self-isolation their whole lives!! No bouncing off the walls here. I often felt that I had to defend them from teachers who would criticize them being quiet. There is a book called “Quiet” by I think Susan Cain, that I felt explained them well and helped me understand that I didn’t need to push them to be someone they are not. Being quiet is ok!! I have noticed that my h is not big into chit chat so when he speaks, people listen and not assume he he blabbering on just to hear himself talk.
I figured out the zombie apocalypse. It has nothing to do with the virus. School closures and toilet paper disruptions are causing teenagers to go crazy. Once wi-fi access is disrupted, they’ll immediately turn into zombies.
H made a quick trip to the grocery store this morning. It’s “Senior Day” (regular 5% off senior day, not covid-related senior hours), he was amazed at the number of elderly folks there and how they were NOT practicing social distancing at all. So reaching around, standing close at the checkout line, etc.
S told me the other day about him “acting as if he has the virus”. (even though he most likely does not). I think this perspective is a healthy one, and I’ve adopted it. It makes me feel much less “defensive” - it’s me helping out rather than assuming others are going to “infect me”. Just how I feel.
Question - does anyone here PERSONALLY know someone that has tested positive?
I don’t know anyone. The US still has a low number. If about 5,000 out of populations 300 million, I don’t mean to minimize but it still is a needle in the hay stack. it will be hard to know someone infected unless you are in the susceptible group or know very many people.