Re going to the dentist: In my state at least (OH), the dental assoc. has recommended that only emergency or pain related visits and procedures be done. My dentist cancelled my cleaning appointment.
I was at the dentist four times at the end of February. I am happy I was able to be seen then. And I really hate the dentist trips!
I’m supposed to go to a training meeting for recertification of Election moderators on Wednesday. I haven’t hear yet whether this is happening …or not. Most attending will be over 60…
I feel incredibly lucky. After putting it off literally for a year or two past when I should have got it done, for some reason I went into the doctor on March 3 to have my hernia looked at and scheduled the surgery for March 6. It’s all done now, and I feel almost completely recovered. What a difference 10 days makes! I wonder if I could have gotten it done had I waited…
Someone upthread asked for advice re: working from home.
It helps to set up a dedicated workspace if possible. It’s easier to keep the laptop in one place and not have to move it around. Also, if possible that one place should not be the kitchen table! It’s very easy to eat all day when you sit in the kitchen! (I know)
Take a break every hour and walk around. Walk outside for a few minutes. Good for your body and mind.
Check in with co workers. They miss you , too! A quick call, text or scype just to see how they are. Don’t feel guilty, you talk to those people when you are in the office, right?
Get up and have breakfast, coffee/tea (if you drink those), and shower before you sign on. It helps to be in a professional frame of mind.
Sign out at the end of the day and unless it is critical, walk away. Don’t keep checking in. Put in your regular hours.
Self care: eat healthy food, take a walk or run on your lunch break. Stream a yoga video. Don’t stay up late.
Hope this is helpful.
^^ glad your feeling better. Good possibility that you would not if it was a inguinal hernia (groin)… You could of just worn a supportive belt for now but who wants to do that if you don’t have to.
And article in today’s NYT about working from home. There is an video app called zoom. You log in and are connected with other people working from home.
My two children who live in Boston are coming to my house later today, along with D’s boyfriend. All work from home, so I’ve set up separate workspaces for all of them. The biggest challenge is enough separation so they can make phone calls - the BF is on the phone all day. The other complication is my youngest S is now home from college and self quarantined in my basement.
Many people currently use Zoom for meetings etc. It works well. Think their stock is “Zooming” also right now. (see what I did there?).
Many colleges are going to Zoom - Brown will resume online classes on the 30th using Zoom. Hope it doesn’t crash with so many new users.
@Gourmetmom. My son goes “online” today as well. Forgot to ask him what platform they are using. But tomorrow he is taking a major test online. I hope that goes well.
Most businesses/organizations know/use Zoom if they participate in conference or video calls in their regular routine. FYI there is a free plan but it is limiting in the # of minutes and # of people per call. Otherwise it is a subscription service. But well worth the cost especially at times like these and not outrageous. I wonder if they will offer some short term plans.
We did a family-wide Zoom conference the other day, and it seems to work very well.
In case anyone is interested for family videoconferencing:
https://zoom.us/meetings?_ga=2.137332855.614838587.1584365227-1866452289.1584365227
Pricing or explanation of the free services
https://zoom.us/pricing
DH is currently at the gym. He said he’d only stay if it wasn’t too crowded. Of course, his definition of “too crowded” and my definition are not the same. Personally, I’d wish he not go, but that’s not going to happen.
Our family hasn’t been going anywhere w substantial numbers of people. No mall or restaurants or movies the last couple of weeks. No Costco - H did a last major trip there 2 weeks ago. Grocery store at odd hours with lots of wiping down. S21 attended his small private school, but they started measures to separate kids and do extensive cleaning/washing a couple of weeks ago - hope that was enough.
Meanwhile, S19 and I were around crowds in a CA area with many cases, in a very crowded boarding area, and on a crowded flight w Coughing Guy. And the day after our return, S19 drove up to school to get things from his dorm and ran into many post-Spring-Break-trip friends.
Just a precaution, possibly overkill. However, I am rather enjoying being waited on. I really need a little bell:)
I’ve done a lot of Zoom meetings, but today our legal department leadership is trying out a Microsoft Teams meeting. There will be 4 of us on it. Some of our department is more resistant to new technology, so this should be interesting.
There was an article in the WSJ suggesting how you should dress for remote work, and it was nicer stuff than I really have to wear to the real office. The comments were hilarious- showing what remote workers REALLY were wearing! I agree that it is good to get into a professional mindset, but my job has involved working while traveling and dealing with things off hours anyway, so I’m good in the running pants and sweatshirt.
My favorite grocery store, a small local chain, is having special hours for seniors and immunocompromised.
Yes they will. The special hours are the opening hour of the day and they are opening slightly later so they can have everything pristine for them.
I use Skype, hubby uses webex, and DD uses Zoom
I ask my 14 yo what his school is offering, he said Netflix 
Mr R went to walmart as soon as they opened this morning. I think this is the first time we’ve ever shopped there but they said they had formula in stock…
Not entirely sure what all he managed to get but I saw a table full of fruit so I’m happy. I ordered pick up last night and they kept canceling our order. Twitter says this was pretty universal. Our meijer has also stopped accepting pickup orders and no delivery until the end of the week.
At the hospital this morning and it is almost eerily empty. There was zero traffic during rush hour to Ann arbor this morning which never happens. (Caveat is I am in the women and children’s hospital. No idea what it looks like in the main hospital but parking was very easy and it never is.)
All of the desks now have a blue line of tape around them asking you to stay behind the line to check in. That’s new. And basically everyone seems to be wearing a mask.
My sister is an extreme extrovert and she’s already going stir crazy. Her husband is working from home now and she has her 1 year old. They’re used to being out all day though.
I think @mathmom and I have the same favorite small local chain, but we shop at different ones. I really was pleased when they announced this policy.
If it’s the same one, they’re also taking online orders and allowing curbside pickup.