Coronavirus: What are You doing ( if anything) to prepare/ What are you personally observing?

@emilybee

Try Group FaceTime.

What is the chain?

Thx @Iglooo

@Nhatrang, it’s a small, family-owned one, only in Westchester. DeCicco & Sons (or DeCicco’s).

I have set up zoom and doxy.me if patients need to have a telehealth session. The frustrating part is insurance comanies aren’t clear with what they will cover (even though they say they will cover they often don’t).

We are cancelling patients through the end of the month and will go from there. In the meantime, my older s and his family are snowed in in Tahoe. Could be worse, I suppose.

I’m at the office this morning. People seem to be taking the situation more seriously than they were last week. My managers are busy this morning setting up possible work-at-home plans for everyone. I emailed the members of my team (I’m not a manager) and explained that I would be observing the six-feet rule and explained why.

@MomofWildChild. There was a great article about a company that workers were reluctant to put on their camera due to their hair not looking good. So the lead manager started everyone wearing hats. This led to wearing fun hats etc… And increased moral etc. Thought that was clever. ?

I’m still amazed at the number of people who think this is a two week thing and then life will go on as normal. Maybe it’s more calming to be in denial.
Everything here is shut down, aside from groceries, hospitals and pharmacies and gas.
However, there is an LA Fitness that refuses to close its doors and yes, it is packed.

Wondering if they’re not taking on new users? I tried signing up with two different emails. Was supposed to get a confirmation email to set up account and didn’t get anything to either address.

@taverngirl. They might be swamped. They are also giving free zoom to elementary - high school as a help to schools for free for the rest of the terms this year. I love that and like to support companies that do this. Great marketing for them also.

I’m observing stupid people hoarding toilet paper for no reason, causing every store to be out until mid-April! Seriously…are you replacing your house insulation with it?

Very relieved my D (age 22) received permission yesterday to work from home. She works for DOD as a financial analyst. She takes lisinopril for high blood pressure caused by her kidney disease. Says it’s probably only a matter of time until everyone will be teleworking. We sort of made light that at age 67 I’m healthier than she is. I bought her groceries and when I make food I make enough for her too. Last night she came over and picked up food and extra cables for her work computer. She doesn’t really like working for govt, but conceded last night she was grateful she has a career job. Seems some of her friends are being laid off or their work is closing due to lack of business.

Thanks, @Knowsstuff I think I’ll wear a hat for my 10:30 Teams meeting!

RE: drive up testing—3 to 4 hours wait to get a test. Plus 24 hours to get the results back.

Did a couple errands early before crowds. Grocery store middling-busy but people kept their distance. Post office very quiet.

AARP canceled my mother’s income tax prep appointment (scheduled a week from today). I had already told her I’d get the software and take care of her return, so she was fine when she got their call. Around here the sites they use are CCRCs and elderly housing complexes, so definitely an understandable and wise decision.

So my major contribution to public health is fielding my mother’s “Are you SURE you got all the deductions I’m eligible for? You didn’t MISS anything?” questions until mid-November. I’ll consider it taking one for the team. :smile:

Guess it’s just slow… I finally did get an email.

I’m in central MA. I had to go out this morning to run an unavoidable errand and was surprised at how normal everything seemed. Traffic was normal, parking lots were fairly full. There was no indication of anything being any different than last week.

How does this make sense?

Two friends of mine left on a birding tour in Columbia about a week ago. (I personally thought it was bad idea, but…whatever.) They got back yesterday. while they were there, they ate a common meal in a lodge. Several tour group members had nausea and diarrhea afterwards. Not uncommon, but not alarming either. The next day, one man in their group (70+ w/ diabetes) still didn’t feel well and instead of going on the hike into the forest, stayed behind at the min-van. When the group returned he was unconscious on the ground. Diabetic shock. He was immediately taken to the hospital where he was treated and tested for coronavirus. He tested positive. The rest of group was hustled onto a a flight back to the US very early the next morning.

Now back in the US, my friends who are in their mid-70s, asked to tested for corona. They were refused testing because although they were in a high risk group due to age, had close contact with an known infected person, and had been outside the US until the day before.–they weren’t displaying active symptoms of an infection. No cough. No fever.


And heads up for everyone--in a minority of patients, corona virus manifests itself as gastro-intestinal symptoms: vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.

The coronavirus will eventually infect the GI tracts in all patients. (Hence the recommendation for a separate bathroom for patients in isolation/quarantine.) Beside shedding virus through aerosol droplets, virus is also shed through vomit, feces and urine. 

It’s not just older adults who are getting seriously ill from COVID-19.

From the Salt Lake City Tribune:

Additionally SLC has cluster of COVID cases among young people/teenagers that have been traced back to 2 symptomatic students who attended classes at their two different charter high schools.

I’ve just made the decision to close my barn to visitors. I board retired horses, and really the only people visiting are owners. But realizing the virus can survive on metal and plastic for a long time means that, although unlikely, anyone opening metal gates, plastic containers etc might leave the virus behind.

Besides that I put in my monthly feed order with the addition of 4 extra large metal garbage cans and even more feed, so I’ll be good for about six weeks. The store was talking about what to do if all stores except groceries/pharmacies are shut. What about feed/agricultural stores? I have to believe they would also be open, but I’m stocking up just in case.