Went out this morning to transfer money between banks at an ATM and to mail a few packages. Kept social distance. I was just dropping off packages at the post office this morning, it was super busy. I think people are like me, trying to get errands done now.
All restaurants and bars are closing today at 3 pm in the state of Michigan. Feeling relieved about that at least.
Regarding Zoom meetings from the home office, I’m less concerned about what my hair will look like and more motivated to tidy up the part of my messy office that will be visible.
My high schooler, last Thursday was last day physically at school, is right now taking an AP stat test online. His teacher has taken the initiative to get them back on track quickly, which is greatly appreciated.
There is a lot of nervous energy with my kids.
This afternoon I’m taking him driving - good time for student drivers out there- our roads are empty.
D lives in Reno and she went to Trader Joe’s and almost all the shelves were empty. An employee told her that people have been buying a ton of groceries due to the coronavirus. But, they’ve also had poor weather and their supply truck couldn’t get through. So between the coronavirus and the bad weather poor Trader Joe’s can’t keep anything on the shelves.
My D said that there were some people who were getting irritated that Trader Joe’s was putting a limit on what people could buy. There is hardly anything left! Other people need food too! I am sensitive about how much I’m buying. I don’t need to stay home (as of yet), I’d rather leave some food for those who HAVE to stay home. I don’t need 10 things home.
^^^ With Microsoft Teams you can blur out the background! We just had our first Teams conference meeting. My boss couldn’t figure out the video yet so was just audio, another guy didn’t want to be on video so was just audio, so the other female and I were video. She was nicely dressed. I was not. Boss confessed that he was holed up in an upstairs bedroom to get away from his barking dogs. I had my husband take ours for a walk, but they seemed OK with the extra voices when they returned. I got to see the other person’s cat! All in all, successful and I’ll set these up with my staff going forward.
I stopped at convenience store to get another huge carton of half and half. I was the only one there.
Then I went to drive thru at CVS. I was in line about 20 minutes. I had called my PCP office this morning to get a script for lorazepam. I haven’t needed it since my kid was 13 and flaying in school and had a panic attack.
I could feel myself getting anxious yesterday so decided to call this morning. Just having it in the house relieves my anxiety.
I also know I have to stop reading big CV thread here. It makes me anxious feeling.
H is an infectious disease doctor and not a worrier. So, as everything shut down in our state, and people cleared out the disinfectants and sanitizers, I didn’t follow suit. I figured after the panick buying and long lines, things would become available. I was wrong. We have no wipes, no disinfectant, and 1 tiny purell in the house. Meanwhile, I know people who’ve filled their garage with the stuff (not offering to share). What is wrong with people???
A lot better than “can’t get a test at all”! I wonder what people like me, people who don’t drive, would do though. I have no trouble using a drive up–I just bicycle up–but having not brought a giant heated box with music I wouldn’t be so happy about waiting for three hours, especially if I was sick.
LOL @CheddarcheeseMN , when I’m on Zoom calls I admit to checking out the wall decor behind each person and trying to figure out what room of the house their home office is…
Had to run to Kroger to get my H a couple of items he needed due to an outpatient procedure (he’s fine thanks!) - it seemed awfully busy to me for a Monday morning - I mean, I’m not usually at the store at that time but there were a lot of people.
Also things I noticed they were basically out of:
Toilet paper - not a roll
Paper towels
Bread
FLOUR and SUGAR except for Bob’s Red Mill where there were a few packages
Hand sanitizer
Wipes
Pasta
Those are just some things I noticed. I admit it was making me so angry! So when a 80 year old neighbor heads timidly ventures out to try and get supplies not only will they NOT be able to get them, they will have to venture out AGAIN or stop at more places. This is not ok.
All I know is that people better be baking their brains out with all that flour and sugar.
My hairdresser is still doing business as usual though she has eliminated her no show fees and said to please cancel if you are sick. She also said to not bring guests along to appointments if you can avoid it, but she understands that some people may need to bring kids due to school closures, which is ok. She also talked about what she is doing to sanitize her salon, she always keeps it very clean, but she is going above and beyond to sanitize these days.
My nail lady has had to cancel some appointments due to her daughter’s school closing…
I would also like to encourage everyone to reach out and support TEACHERS. Their daily routine, their job, their mission and purpose career wise has been literally largely taken away. It’s possible they may not go back in the classroom this year.
My S is a teacher and honestly he’s shocked and feeling uncertain. What is he suppose to do with his days? I don’t know that he can try and get a part time job because POSSIBLY they will go back to school. He has offered to help parents/kids in his friend group and neighborhood to reach out if the kids need math help or other school related help. But really it’s almost like losing your professional purpose.
After reading a comment on the main CV thread about half of adult Americans living paycheck to paycheck, I wondered how best to help those who will need financial assistance.
The only things that have come to mind are continuing to support the local food bank (which prefers money to food right now) and start contributing to the funds the utilities have for folks who cannot afford to pay their gas, electric and water bills. I know that some utilities are letting people skip payments, but assume the accounts will have to be brought current eventually.
Over the weekend, I donated to two or three food pantries and the local Boys & Girls Clubs organization, which has started a fund for people in need. I also asked my older daughter to make a donation on my behalf (for which I will reimburse her) to a fund for out-of-work service-industry employees in NYC.
How do you know it’s not the 80 year olds venturing out that have bought all the flour and sugar? 'Cause that’s generally the case around here.
Honestly, there are a few people hoarding, but IMO most of the shortage at this point is just due to normal, everyday people shifting their shopping patterns. Examples:
I don't normally have any more TP in the house than whatever single, opened package we're working through. A few weeks ago when things started getting crazy around here, I picked up an extra package so now we have 1.5 packages. Not exactly hoarding, just a slight acceleration of our normal pattern. If hundreds of us in one place do that... all the TP is sold out. Nobody's sitting on 3587 rolls, we all just have a package extra but the result is the same.
Similar thing with flour. We bake - a lot. Easily go through a bag of flour once or twice a month, sometimes more. So again, when things got crazy, I got one extra bag since if we're stuck at home we're probably baking more. Again, if several of us do this the flour will be all gone.
We are still having hordes of tourists arrive (SW Florida, March is our peak season). Many of them rent condos/houses and buy supplies when they arrive. If they're worried they might not be able to eat at restaurants what might be ordered closed or that things will be out of stock, they probably also buy a little extra.
So far, supply chains for groceries haven’t been disrupted. So things should start getting back to normal in a few weeks. Be patient. It’s OK.