I got a call from one of my contractors that the building department is closing and can I please inspect his insulation and firestopping so that his crew can get back to work. He says no one has been on the job for ten days because his Mom passed away, so I will do that tomorrow.
I’ve got a bunch of jobs on my dining room table which were just waiting for my clients to get their acts in order and get their notarized signatures. Who knows when things will reopen.
D just called. She is a full time MBA student with a work-from home (mostly online ) side job. But her H is a health care administrator so he has no choice to work and his job involves very ill people. She is concerned that she will be a carrier, give it to him and it will be passed along to an immunocompromized patient! And she is an extrovert!
I made several suggestions- self care, virtual happy hours, sending her my book club list of titles, etc.
We always have TP in the house, and we don’t really need to buy so we aren’t. I didn’t even bother to look for hand sanitizer as we have plenty of soap (as we usually do).
I did grocery shopping at ALDI mid-late morning and most everything seemed as usual…calm time of day to shop…items I usually get were available. There were empty spots for tp, soap and hand sanitizer. I bought an extra kitty litter to have on hand (cat tp :)…I passed our local ER and saw additional signs-couldn’t see that closely, but I think they were directing to where ER was or CV-19 testing-not sure…lot did not appear any busier than usual, although eerie to see a sherriff vehicle positioned there. Apparently it was busier than usual at ALDI over the weekend according to the check out person, so glad I waited until today. I have college freshman home until at least end of March and should have been back in school today–starts distance learning Wednesday. The college has not given any information on potential reimbursement for dining/room even though they are telling students stay away if possible, but not closing dorms or dining. It was disappointing that my S is away from campus since he was learning to adjust after 3 1/2 years of online HS and wanting to come home multiple times during fall semester-he is on spectrum. He mentioned that he had gone to the aquarium with some guys from his floor and made 2 friends in his business class. I’m not sure to what extent they are friends but they have each other’s contact info. D’s HS is off this week and next which was supposed to be spring break anyway…then figuring out distance learning.
People staying at home more of the time may be buying increased amounts of food for consumption at home instead of eating at restaurants.
Also, there may be some increased use of toilet paper at home for similar reasons.
It would not be surprising if there were a surplus in the restaurant supply chain (as restaurants need less due to falling numbers of customers), but it may take time before production gets shifted from the restaurant supply chain to the grocery store supply chain.
Hello Fresh is operation as usual, the email from the CEO even said that there won’t be any disruption to the delivery schedule - that’s a big promise there. Wouldn’t they experience supply chain issue as well? I hope they are right. I am very happy about this.
Just removed all the magazines etc in our waiting room. We have some nice ones also but this should help. If you think of other things like this let me know…
We are having patients come with almost no wait times. Spreading out Patient times further so we don’t have people waiting in the waiting rooms of we can help it. Might ask patients to call when in the parking lot before coming up. We are coming up with ideas but would love to hear suggestions from actual patients.
This is a riot!! DH has been on video conferences all day and when one ended he decided to do some exercises (he is in a t-shirt and shorts). Well thats great… except he forgot to turn off the videoconference!! LOL!!!
If any one has ever been to the dmv in my state or an er with something non life threatening in a major hospital around my area including flu symptoms. 3 to 4 hours for something like this is unpleasant but really not something surprising.
I think we have to show grace under pressure and if I were waiting. If someone seemed ill or elderly, and I could, I would let them cut me in the line.
Hopefully, as more sites get going it will speed up.
I don’t know how intricate the test is and I am sure the health care providers have to be very careful and methodical. It’s going to be a test of collective patience, selflessness and kindness.
Just returned from a Costco run. We are plenty stocked up on TP, paper towels, Kleenex, bleach, disinfectant wipes, latex gloves and even a number of n95 masks left over from the crazy wildfires over the past few seasons. Other than the masks (of which my H usually has a dozen or so in his shop), the other stuff is really just stuff we keep on hand - in Costco quantities.
What we needed was fresh produce. As S has said, we are very well stocked with freezer and canned supplies. However, with out some fresh produce we won’t be in need of the TP.
We arrived at our local Costco at 9:30 - it opens at 9. Big white board out front listing what is out of stock - yup, TP, PT bleach etc.
Parking lot was jam packed. Guess what - very little traffic in the fresh produce area. very little traffic in the bakery area. I did not see any big evidence of panic hoarding (but then again, there was no TP).
H and I decided to finally make a BIG purchase which had been under discussion for a few years. Picked up a whole house generator which automatically cuts over to our propane source in case of outage. Doesn’t look like there is a run on $4500 generators - yet.
Six SF Bay Area counties (San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Marin, Contra Costa) are ordering “shelter in place” for everyone until April 7. No going out, not even going for walks or going on bike rides. According to the SF Chronicle, “All non-essential gatherings of any size are now banned, along with non-essential travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit. People may travel for shopping for necessary supplies, accessing health care, and providing aid to family and friends who need assistance, and for non-residents, returning to their home outside the Bay Area.”
I understand why they kicked the kids out of the dorms and sent them home, but they just transferred their problem to becoming our problem. Our S19 is very social. He’s been home for only a few days and he can’t stand it and we can’t really control it. He just left to go the gym with friends. Tomorrow he is planning to drive with another friend back to his school and help move him out of his dorm. He and my husband are already yelling at each other. This is not going to be fun.
I was partly clever and partly not. Yesterday I went to the bike shop to get new brake pads for one of my bikes. I made sure to have the worker install the pads right then, rather than leaving my bike, because I was afraid the shop would be closed, and my bike would be locked inside it so I couldn’t ride.
Great. I’ve got my bike, but I still can’t ride it, because we’re on lockdown.