@HouseChatte , I’m not aware of any tenant rights groups near us but it’s something worth looking into. In the small town where we’re currently living, the majority of residents are homeowners, with the main exception being college students. Housing is pretty inexpensive here and property taxes are low, even with the increase that locals approved to provide more school funding.
You’ve given me another idea, which is to see if the local university has info about helping students. I imagine many have lost their retail and food service jobs.
Reading this makes me extra glad we live on a farm. Going outside is not a problem. We go for walks around our place often and can fairly easily get 10,000 steps in per day. On nice days we live outside more than inside. It’s no surprise to us at all that our youngest lad and his wife have opted to be here joining us for the two weeks over their apt near DC. The lad has been busy preparing his farming/gardening things, including planting cold hardy crops.
With our state shutting down tonight at midnight, H won’t be needing to do as much work either (meetings cancelled, etc), so we’re planning on breaking out Terraforming Mars and Castles of Mad King Ludwig - along with getting our outside time in with the ponies, gardening, spring “stuff,” and similar.
Fortunately we all enjoy being together. It’d be nice if my other two could join us as well, but alas, no. This is almost like a vacation for us - just without the travel to go elsewhere. I feel fortunate that we have an emergency fund for bills. I really feel for those who do not!
I just got a call from a doctor’s office to postpone and reschedule a relatively routine test. They wanted to reschedule for 4 weeks out. I don’t think that we will be any better off in 4 weeks so we rescheduled for 8 weeks out. I am not confident that the test will happen in 8 weeks either.
I am expecting a call from my barber any minute now to cancel that appointment. We all might be getting a bit shaggy haired by the time that the pandemic is over. Maybe long hair will come back in style for everyone.
My weekly business meetings for years now have spanned three continents, and both coasts of this continent (North America). Therefore we have been meeting over the Internet for years. This was always great since we could meet regularly without having to travel. It is even better now since we do not have to change anything.
Just came back from our local Whole Foods. They had TP back in stock but only in single rolls. What they had none of was bread, eggs, and most of the veggies
@momofsenior1 almost NO fruits and veggies at Chicago west suburban Whole Foods near us. I couldn’t believe it!! They said they have produce at their distribution center but are trying to figure out how to keep workers and drivers safe. That didn’t make any sense to me but that’s what the produce manager told me. She thought they would get a delivery tomorrow.
The person at check out told me yesterday was insane. People buying 15 packs of chicken breast, ten loaves of bread, etc., and they just haven’t been able to restock. I went early because I read it’s good to shop early in the morning to hopefully avoid crowds but there wasn’t much to buy. I did get stuffed chicken breasts from the meat counter and almond milk and a few other things. The nut aisle was cleaned out - no almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, etc. Crazy. And no tofu!
@homerdog It was shocking walking in to bare shelves. They were fully stocked of fresh items two days ago. Our checkout person said the restaurant ban announcement caused a huge spike in shopping. They were optimistic they would get their regular shipment tomorrow.
I’ll head to the grocery store when I get up tomorrow. Hopefully some shelves will be restocked. I would like some fresh produce. I’m not at all hopeful I’ll find wipes, paper towels, etc.
Whoops- Somehow a bunch of posts got between @me29034 ‘s post about their social kid now home from college (post #1855) driving about and visiting friends, the gym, etc and my response. Apologies I neglected to tag @me29034 . Have you taken his car keys? Please, for all that is good and holy, time to practice tough love, and take the car keys and credit cards, if necessary. Social responsibility for the greater good is the lesson to be taught here. Good luck!
To add on to what @jym626 said -
I’m normally a “he’s an adult, you can’t control him” person but this isn’t about people staying out too late. This is about putting people’s lives at risk.
Your S is millennial or gen Z. He can figure out virtual hangouts. He can sacrifice some time for the sake of other people. And if he can’t, he should be forced to since he’s living in your house and putting YOUR health at risk.
On Nextdoor website, I and several other neighbors were able to convince a neighbor I don’t personally know not to send her kids to Spring Break Camp, for the greater good. She was grateful folks were able to post calmly and without attacking her to give her info to make the right choice.
It is concerning that the camp is operating—I guess caring for kids whose parents have to be at work.
My S just received an email from his landlord in Providence. They want to know which apartments are vacant because they’ve had some break-ins looking for food…and toilet paper, of course.
I spoke with my pharmacist who said she’s unable to get one of my Rx, and she doesn’t expect it to be available any time soon. She’s going to submit an approval request to our insurance co. for a similar Rx, and will also request a 90 day refill instead of the usual 30 day. Fingers crossed.
On the bright side, my PCP called in another Rx that should help mitigate the problems that will arise if the first Rx cannot be replaced. It’s not an ideal situation but can be tolerated. I appreciate that he didn’t require an office visit.
Today I wrote up a list of everywhere husband and I’ve been in the last month and put it in desk drawer with important papers and in case of death file.
The county governments mostly seem to have gotten the text of the order onto their web sites by now, so you should not have to rely on secondary sources.
Note that “To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running” is listed as an “Essential Activity” (section 10.a.iii), and the order does not prohibit leaving one’s residence to do an “Essential Activity” (section 2). It also includes travel to an “Essential Activity” as “Essential Travel” (section 10.h) that is not prohibited (section 5).
So it looks like going outside to do exercise or other activity away from other people is not prohibited.
Difficult to know where to post this, but my heart goes out to all parents working in healthcare, and especially to all parents with children working in healthcare. Thank you.
Gun stores here are reporting brisk sales. People are afraid that civil unrest is coming. Looting, break ins. And worried the police won’t be able to handle it all.