I finally caught up here! After NYC public schools closed, I thought that the community mental health clinic where I work as a therapist would close, but no. I take either two subways or a bus to the less busy subway line to work (no car). I am also in the process of moving to the neighborhood of my clinic–set for two weeks from today. Today I took bus to subway to an occupational/physical therapy place prescribed for the arm that I broke almost 2 months ago. Subways and buses pretty empty. Clinic email indicates that we are supposed to screen clients to ascertain potential exposure to the virus. As of this past Saturday when I last worked, there was no Purell in the clinic so I had my clients go to the bathroom and wash their hands before we started our sessions. We are not set up at all to do teletherapy from home. The whole thing is very anxiety-provoking. On top of that, my daughter works as a patient care technician at a hospital in upstate NY, in a medical unit where most of her patients are old and very sick. I am 71 but apparently healthy, knock wood.
Although I don’t personally agree with their assessment that there will be widespread civil unrest, given the way our government has flubbed the response from the very beginning, it’s understandable people are skeptical of the government’s ability and willingness to protect them.
Our local art museum has closed until April 6th. And our local performing arts center has cancelled all performances up until April 15th with all performances after that under evaluation. Anyone who has a ticket for the cancelled performances can donate their ticket which will help pay the performers.
My D and father live in Reno, and the art museum has been closed there too. Some of the casinos are planning on closing too. Many events and concerts have been cancelled as well.
Looks like I won’t be starting my new job after all. Hopefully she’s solvent enough that I’ll still have a job after this is over.
@momofsenior1 oh no I’m sorry.
My daughter at Stanford just called. She was engaging in the essential activity of walking and sounded okay.
@rosered55 Quite a coincidence, I just got a text from my Stanford senior son. He just finished uploading his math class final, so this quarter is in the books! The funny part is that he’s upstairs having left campus over a week ago 
@Rivet2000 , my daughter is in grad school, so she’s able to stay at Stanford. (Plus, she told me she wouldn’t come to Wisconsin to see me or her dad, for fear of spreading the virus, if she happens to have it, to “old people.”)
I am observing a lot of activity from our local researchers who are determined to get this coward Covid under control.
I had to go into the Post Office today to get stamps. No line, no people. I went to pay with debit card and the buttons were disgusting! I didn’t want to touch them. I said “Gee, you might want to wipe down these buttons” to the clerk and she replied “I am not f****ing touching those buttons. Not my job”. I was aghast, but didn’t say anything. Wouldn’t they think it is their job to sanitize their counters and machines??? Do they think I am supposed to clean that machine before/after I use it?
Beach Community San Diego area
I am in the Bay Area and am adjusting to the fact that we’re supposed to stay in the house for the next 3 weeks. I just got back from a walk with a friend and see that the “no walking, biking” etc has been lightened which I’m relieved to see.
Dh went to Costco and Safeway this morning to get a few more things. Was able to get everything other than flour which we normally have in reasonable supply but we baked a bit more than usual over the past few weeks and are low. He said Costco wasn’t overly busy and had reasonable supplies of most things other than the usual (TP, wipes, etc.). But by the time he got to Safeway, I’m guessing more people had heard about the new edict and he said it was crazy.
We’re really set…I do believe some restaurants will stay open for take out only so we’ll try to do our part and pick up some dinners. What a surreal time we’re experiencing. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!
Has anyone heard if movie theaters are closing? All of the ones in our area seem to be business as usual!
Deleted already addressed.
Okay - what would you do? H and I are supposed to visit D, her husband, and their new baby. (The plan was to help out D when her husband went back to work after his paternity leave.) It’s a 7-hour drive.
Our area and her area have the same rates of COVID-19. All of us are in good health (no cough, no fever, etc.) Obviously we won’t go if anyone is sick.
Would you go? Technically we’d all be quarantining at their house instead of quarantining at our place. Does it matter where we “socially distance” ourselves?
I have a project that is ready to go-live tomorrow. Today the IT VP sent an email saying that there is a freeze change effective immediately until further notice. Ok i don’t want anyone to go to the office. But everyone in IT is already working from home, if they didn’t want to work from home before, they would have to now. This deployment is the same as hundred of deployments in the past - IT employees can sit anywhere in the world and move the code into production. After 9 months and $15M racing to the finish line, now got postponed indefinitely.
That’s their decision, the business has to deal with it. But I wonder if this is a smart policy. I know their heart is in the right place. But they also have a head with a brain knowing IT employees can work in the comfort of their home, since like forever.
firstworldproblem
@natty1988 Regal Cinemas are closing all locations. https://deadline.com/2020/03/regal-cinemas-closes-theaters-coronavirus-1202884813/
Why not? I’ve been doing that since last week when I go to grocery store. I use the hand wipe before and after I touch something in the store including the pay machine.
I am so sorry @momofsenior1
I had to pull the plug on interviewing and close to hiring on a few jobs. I could imagine how these people must feel. I don’t even know if these jobs will still be there for me to resume the hiring when everything is back to normal. I had to profusely apologize to the persons and promised to keep them posted with updates.
For me the main issue is what potential new germs you are bringing to their home. How long have you been self isolating? If less than 14 days, maybe consider waiting? However, if you are concerned about state borders c!osing, maybe finish your isolation period at their home? Weighing all this against their emotional need to have you there right now
Dentist office here closed until April 7…at least.
My election moderator recertification class was postponed until April 13…at least.
DH has a doctors appointment tomorrow. The office called here today…needed to have questions answered before he came. Had he traveled to China, Japan, Iran, Italy, etc. Had he spent an extended amount of time in NY, WA, CA? Did he have a cough, fever, or any aches? If NO to everything, he could come. He was told to expect the same questions at the door of the medical office building (which is adjacent to the hospital). Good.