All the movie theaters in CT are closed as are all other entertainment venues. Everything. Governor ordered today. Restaurants and bars and pubs closed too except for carryout and pick up. And schools at least until April 1.
I’m wondering about catering venues for things like weddings. I imagine many folks are rescheduling if they can.
Our Vet is doing “curbside” visits. Hard to explain but creative.
We are looking into virtual visits through our software or a third party. Have to look into Hipaa requirements and if it records the conversation and if Insurance pays for it. Some do I know… Fun times.
Our restaurants are all closed as of 8 p.m. tonight. When I heard the announcement on the radio, I went to my favorite small local lunch place and had lunch. I was the only one there.
When I paid my bill, I offered to pay 1/2 of this guys rent as my tip. He graciously declined for now…but I told him to contact me if needed. And I left a big tip for my lunch.
@scout59, another thing I’d consider is how comfortable you and your dh will be at your D’s house. My D lives in a 300 square foot apartment in NYC. She thinks it’s possible NYC will close down shortly and was talking through her options. She loves her small apartment but that’s because she’s gone all day. She’s definitely concerned about being house-bound 24/7 for, potentially, weeks.
So, beyond whether or not you or your dh could possibly be infected, think about the longer term and whether there’s ample, comfortable space for all you, should you be confined.
I saw a wonderful video on line of a fitness instructor on the roof of a building somewhere in Italy leading an exercise class while people on their apartment balconies of surrounding buildings participated.
If it was my kid, he’d be living in the basement.
Any marked difference in health care? Might not matter anyway. Personally, I’d go and be with family.
I volunteer as a ballot clerk. I never understood why they don’t do these kind of classes online - even more so for times like this.
I ordered take out at my favorite thai place today and the owner said thank you for supporting us.
Got an email from the rock climbing place saying they will close b/c of NJ mandate but they are basically begging us not to cancel the membership, because they still have to pay rent and administrative staff who are on salary. IDK reading the email made me choked up.
I am offering to have Hello Fresh delivered to anyone who need it in our town until the crisis is over. But I am shy about doing this publicly. My friend will be posting in on the town FB page and collect their names and addresses for me. She will keep my name private.
Reporting that the Passover shelves at the La Jolla Ralph’s were fully stocked so we got all the dry goods we will need. The food can self quarantine in the garage for a few weeks. It is very hard to maintain distance in grocery stores; I was continually ducking around aisles but sometimes all I could do was turn away. We did wear gloves as did many shoppers. Husband popped into Whole Foods to get chicken and fish and was successful but supplies were quite low. Clerk told him they had restocked this morning (he was there at 12:30) but were almost cleaned out again.
We were defying the governor’s recommendation that people over 65 should sell isolate so tried hard to look a few years younger.
And my favorite farmer’s market orange guy posted in Facebook that they would be set up outside a cheese shop in La Jolla this afternoon, so I was able to get two bags. It worked out well.
Now I don’t want to leave the house and shouldn’t need to for a while. Husband is more restless. Did Governor Newsome realize that his recommendation meant that my husband would be home ALL THE TIME with no sports to watch?!
@alh, @collage1, @doschicos - all good points. I last left the house on Saturday, and even then, I kept myself 6 feet away from everyone else (hard to do in Kroger.) Maybe we’ll wait 14 days from that date?
The medical facilities near D’s house are probably better than those in my area - and D’s house is much larger than my own. Worse comes to worst, H and I could live in their basement and never, ever run into SIL! (Just kidding - we really like him…)
I guess I’m just super-paranoid. I don’t want to infect them, but I have this super-paranoid scenario running through the back of my mind where the state borders get closed down. Maybe it was a bad idea to re-read “The Stand” while this whole coronavirus pandemic is going on.
NH shut down bars and restaurants except for takeout today after MA did for that reason. The governor specifically stated doing it in time because he does not wanting St. Patrick’s Day revelers driving up to party and spreading their germs.
My D who lives in Nevada said their mayor just ordered all non essential businesses to close! Hospitals, urgent care centers, grocery stores, police stations, fire stations will stay open.
My daughter in the VI is still fevery and was home today. First thing this morning she phoned the doctor who said tests are handled by the territory health department. She called the health department who wrote down her name and phone number as well as asked about symptoms. She works with tourists from all over the world. Who knows who she got it from.
It has been about ten hours and they have not phoned her back yet. Her thermometer broke. One of her friends went looking for one and to her knowledge there are none for sale on the islands.
Fever, dry cough, sore throat, nausea. She is pretty sure she has it.
My H said he had to read a lot of scans last night that said, “cough, fever, rule out Covid”. Some were positive.
Drove to the park today and I was surprised to see the grocery store parking lots full again. I guess it’s because of the restaurants closing except for take out? I’m trying to resist going for at least a week. This is a crucial week - where we are just getting a handle on the numbers infected.
And, how do you properly wash lettuce? I think we’ll stick with spinach or something else we can cook, if I ever get back to the grocery store.
I think we can see that the advent of summer may not help as much as the optimists believe. The temperatures are always in the 80’s lot of sun, and fresh air.