<p>i didn’t want to waste the $60 in november because i was applying early decision to another school, after i got deferred i applied RD to unc and others… that’s one reason</p>
<p>my d applied rd because of what the guide told us when we toured. the info was that if you thought that you could add something more to your app after the ea deadline, to wait. i am glad we did since everyone that we know that applied ea got denied. and an admissions person at another school told us that more attention is paid to the ea apps so that if you apply later in the process, sometimes it is to your advantage. now i know that does not always apply since some schools actually have easier applications for ea than rd (UGA). but when you think of it like this, it makes sense…after you have read a few thousand apps, yours could stand out if your essays are great?</p>
<p>When my daughter asked UNC admin reps (0n 3 different ocassions) weather she should do EA or RD, they said it really didn’t matter. She wanted to pump up her GPA so she waited. She was invited to a Scholars Day in NOV. When the person heading the event asked if she had done EA and my daughter said no, the woman looked at her with surprise and said, you need to get that in right away. It was clear she thought early action was the way to go. My D felt she had really screwed up by not doing EA but she was following the lead of other admin reps. It was too late to do anything about it but by then but have regrets.</p>
<p>CarolinaMom, I really think you did the right thing. Reading all of these posts makes it clear that the kids that apply are amazing. So if waiting a few months got her GPA up then that makes sense. I know that I am new to this but I have heard over and over again that some…and I know that it may not be all…schools really do have “cutoffs” or guidelines that determine whether you child even gets “looked” at. If that is the case, she added to the chance to getting looked at. My son’s coaches mother-in-law (nuts, right) did admissions for a college for years and talked with us during this process. Her feedback was when you have so many over qualified to choose from, there has to be a general cutoff that puts some in the we will look at basket and the others in the not up to par basket. It really makes sense. So if by waiting she got in the to look at basket, you are half-way there!</p>
<p>Thanks BeatDuke. Her stats were already pretty good, not stellar, but she didn’t think good enough. She got her GPA to 5.0 this semester, but that’s out of a potential 6, I think (IB program). I don’t think I even know what stellar is any more, these kids are amazing.</p>
<p>a 5.0 GPA is sick…please encourage her not to worry.</p>
<p>I agree and I’ve always encouraged her to keep a balance and she has. The really sick part is her rank is something like 121 out of around 500 students.</p>
<p>GPA doesn’t show much for some schools. a UNC rep said he’s seen a kid with over a 6.0 and he wasn’t that smart…i’d use the rank to see how smart a person is…10% or better is really good</p>
<p>Hmmm - I know what you mean. Based on class rank it doesn’t sound too good for her.</p>
<p>It all really does depend on so many things, how tough a school is, how tough a student’s classes are, and how many “amazing” students are in a class. Hopefully, colleges like UNC look beyond all of that and see that a kid is more well-rounded with “good” grades and scores if they have a job or ec. Because great scores and GPAs seem a dime a dozen these days?</p>
<p>Stats:–
SAT: 2080 (765 Math, 645 Verbal, 670 Writing (all scores +/- 5 pts.))
SAT II: 755 Math IIC, 670 Chem, 665 Lit (all scores +/- 5 pts.)
GPA: 4.35 W, 3.78 UW
Rank: 15/500 or so (top 3%)</p>
<p>Background:
State Residency: MO
Ethinicity: Indian (from India)</p>
<p>Course Load:
IB Dip Can
All HL courses except math (school doesn’t offer HL)
AP Exams: AP Calc BC and AP Physics: Mechanics
IB Info Tech in Global Society: 4/7</p>
<p>As you can see, my stats aren’t that great. It was my essays, I think, that did it for me. </p>
<p>I don’t exactly know or believe that the letter gaurantees admission but from the threads I have seen in CC, it seems to. Can anyone confirm with info from UNC or Collegeboard or something. Greatly appreciated. Good luck everyone.</p>
<p>congrats to all!</p>
<p>We are visiting GT this weekend and committing. Decided that being 'sought after" was a better fit than praying we are good enough (if that makes sense).</p>
<p>And D is tired of this waiting and the process. We want plenty of time to process our decision and we don’t want to put it off any longer. And she likes the idea of a city better than a town so all is well. Will keep checking in and hoping that all goes well for CarolinaMom.</p>
<p>Thanks BeatDuke - My husband went to GT and has great memories. He wanted our D to apply but she had her sights set on Carolina and would hardly look at anything else. Atlanta is a vibrant city and the GT area is much nicer than it use to be. I hope she loves it.</p>
<p>Admitted</p>
<p>sat:2400
sat2: 800/800/780/780/700
GPA: 4.00/4.69
Rank: 1/173
Other stats: psat-239(v80m80w79)-national merit finalist, ap: 7 subjects-5, 2 subjects-4(going to take 7 more)
State or Country: MA
School Type: private
Ethnicity: Asian(Korean)
Gender: Female
ECs: NIH intern, NHS, debate team, etc.</p>
<p>How were you notified? I don’t know of anyone else who has yet gotten an official acceptance. Thanks and congrats.</p>
<p>Sorry, I was thinking anybody that posted now would be RD since EA acceptances came out so long ago, but you must be EA. Thanks.</p>
<p>I’m posting now because I registered this website yesterday;)</p>
<p>Hey–Those of you accepted EA, are you in the UNC student directory? What about those who were deferred? Some folks waiting on RD are already in the student directory. Do you think it means anything?</p>
<p>Having been an in state accepted, I can safely say the number one thing you need to worry about is SAT. When you have 18,000 kids apply, you have to weed kids out early on, and the SAT is a good way to do it. From what i have seen, a 1300 or higher on the SAT math and verbal means that you’ve got a good shot. After getting that 1300 or higher, if you have decent grades (few c’s), a lot of ap’s, and good ec’s you’re in.</p>
<p>Huh? Did you read my post?</p>