Flip My Leftover!

<p>We'll see if this thread catches on...thought with the holidays coming it could be helpful - actually helpful all year long - we've had some GREAT recipes floating around on CC!</p>

<p>Here's the deal - you post your leftover item - meat, a vegetable - whatever and CC'ers will give you an option of how to reinvent a dish out of it. A main dish, dessert, side - ANYTHING!</p>

<p>I'll start with kind of a toughie. I grilled brats and hot dogs for some work crew we had at the house yesterday. Also made some baked beans. Apparently too many! Now I have a couple cups of baked beans leftover and don't know if anyone will eat them otherwise.</p>

<p>So, your challenge - Flip My BAKED BEANS. :)</p>

<p>not very imaginative, but the old stand-by---put them in taco shells or on a tortilla and add cheese, red onions, maybe shredded chicken, cilantro, lettuce, etc., whatever you like....</p>

<p>Baked beans in a taco! That's new!</p>

<p>Corned</a> Beef Hash British Style Recipe - Allrecipes.com</p>

<p>or this....</p>

<p>Great idea abasket. How about just under half a pound of pork roast?</p>

<p>The hash is interesting! I think I would use some deli corned beef.....</p>

<p>Is the pork roast cooked (assuming)? I always take my leftovers of beef roast and make it into beef vegetable soup -you could do the same with the pork and either a chicken or beef broth? Or a sandwich with some type of sweetness in it - like a dollop of chunky applesauce or a spoon of cherry preserves on top???</p>

<p>This makes REALLY good toast.</p>

<p>Baked Bean Bread</p>

<p>1 tablespoon instant yeast
16 ounces (2 cups) baked beans with molasses,
canned or homemade
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon olive oil</p>

<p>Put into bread machine and bake according to your machine's instructions.</p>

<p>This recipe fills a 1-pound size machine; the actual loaf weighs 1 1/2 pounds.</p>

<p>If you prefer, place in greased bread pan, let rise until double in bulk, bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 375 degrees F.</p>

<p>Baked potatoes make super leftovers. Cut leftover baked tater in half, make some deep cuts in it and add a bit of butter and cheddar cheese. Pop in microwave for minute.
Top with whatever else you love and instant lunch!</p>

<p>Leftover pork: shred if you can, slice thin or chop if not. Add BBQ sauce and make BBQ sandwiches. Use in spring rolls or fired rice. Use regular slices for pork sandwiches, Cuban style.</p>

<p>
[quote]
How about just under half a pound of pork roast?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Pork fajitas (or burritos):</p>

<p>Slice or chop the pork. Sear it in a hot skillet with a little minced garlic, one sliced vidalia onion, 3 sliced anaheim chiles (or one large bell pepper, red or green). Season it with whatever heat you've got: chili powder, minced chipotle pepper, etc. or just with salt and pepper.</p>

<p>Put it on a soft tortilla, spoon some salsa over it, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top, and nuke it in the microwave long enough to melt the cheese.</p>

<p>Pork would be really good with green tomatilla salsa.</p>

<hr>

<p>Same thing works with leftover beef, chicken, or seafood. Takes about 10 minutes start to finish and it's a great way to stretch some leftovers. I like it best if the peppers and onion are less than fully cooked, still just a tad crunchy.</p>

<p>Don't tell them over on the exercise and fitness thread where they eschew carbs but honestly the best thing to do with leftover baked beans is to serve them alongside mac 'n cheese. Sublime all mixed together on the plate (if you like carbs). And the leftover brats will be a nice addition.</p>

<p>Chili.....</p>

<p>Pork roast. I'd probably cut it up and saute it with cabbage and onions and flavor with a hot sauce. That's our standard Saturday lunch. (Leftover meat with sauted veg - usually cabbage.)</p>

<p>Thanks for the pork roast ideas. I ended up heating it up in a skillet and mixing in BBQ sauce for 4 BBQ sandwiches. </p>

<p>I seem to lose my cooking "mojo" when the season changes. The family also seems to want a change as the weather gets cooler.</p>

<p>Now, can you help me with this? Half of a Costco roast chicken. I need to cook a meal for 4.</p>

<p>half of a Costco chicken. Burritos- if you make some mexican rice and refried or black beans you don't need much chicken. Add some tomatoes, lettuce, cheese and it is a great meal.
Or chicken enchiladas. If you don't have enough chicken make half the pan just cheese enchiladas.
Burritos or soft tacos is what I make with most of my leftovers.</p>

<p>Favorite in our house for leftover chicken or turkey is a la king. I have an old Weight Watchers recipe that the family loves. Veggies, low fat, lots of flavor. We put it over brown rice. I can never have enough leftovers when we do a chicken or a turkey since no matter how much a la king I make it is not enough :).</p>

<p>My H isn't fond of leftovers, but he would never object to chicken being used in tetrazzini. Or tortilla soup. As long as the dish looks NOTHING like the original, I can get away with it.</p>

<p>chicken salad (on lettuce/spinach or on sandwiches) with a cup of soup on the side.</p>

<p>Singersmom,</p>

<p>Please give us the WW chicken a la king recipe. It sounds like a gem!</p>

<p>If I have some leftover chicken it usually gets eaten furtively by my DH and, if he's home, DS. If there's still some left I will shred and put it in the next night's salad. Or give to my eternally famished Jack Russell Terrier.</p>

<p>Whoops it was a Cooking Light recipe. I converted it to WW a long time ago. It started as Turkey a la King, but chicken works just as well. We had a large family with 3 sons so I always at least doubled it and it worked well. You can also fudge on the exact measurements if you are short of items and it still works. It does not taste low cal. Enjoy. </p>

<p>Turkey A La King</p>

<p>3 TBL reduced calorie margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
2 TBL flour
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp chicken flavor bullion granules (1 packet)
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 cups chopped cooked turkey
1 4 oz can sliced mushrooms drained
1 2 oz jar diced pimento, drained</p>

<p>Melt margarine in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper, saute for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add flour stirring until veggies coated. cook i minute over low heat stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, bullion and pepper stir constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in turkey, mushrooms and pimento. Cook until heated through. - rated for 4 servings, 226 calories per serving without the rice.</p>