So what did you do?
Never complain, never explain!!!
I can’t believe we paid close to $600 to go see the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica. On the ticket our guide handed us, it was $28 per person. If we would have made our reservations months/many weeks in advance it would have been under $100 each for the guided tour, but we figured we’d go ahead and pay the high price because we likely won’t be here/do it again.
I said to my husband near the end of the tour - “You know, we could have used the money to see Bruce Springsteen.”
I can’t believe I just signed up for Medicare. I’m pretty sure that I’m (at most) in my 50s. The supplement and the prescription plans are the same as my husband’s, so we get a discount and I get a free membership to my YMCA, saving me $91/month.
@zeebamom I felt exactly the same way when I signed up last year! I still can’t believe I’m 66 as I see myself as 45 ![]()
Welcome to the club! Sadly there’s no toaster, but Silver Sneakers is fantastic!
The health club benefit is my favorite. I go to the Y 3-4 times a week and also to a denver rec center (which takes Kaiser and United, but anyone over 62 gets a freebee there too). You can join any number of health clubs too, you don’t have to choose just one.
That’s what my husband said. He joined the Y earlier this year with his benefit, but was looking to see if other places could work in as needed.
Our Y has a pool and a lot of classes, but I might look into Pilates somewhere else.
The Y has Pilates but you have to pay extra for it so it doesn’t really help the budget.
I love the SilverSneaker benefit. I was already a YMCA gym member so I’m saving $80 a month. It’s one of the only places that takes Silver Sneakers so it’s busy. My membership includes mat Pilates. I’m sure it’s not as good as belonging to a true Pilates studio.
That is surprising to me. Here, a lot of the fitness places take Silver Sneakers (or the other programs offered by the MA plans = Planet Fitness, Chooz, the city rec centers. They may not include all the programs or amenities but usually have the basics.
There’s mat Pilates at my Y, but it’s at 7:45 am and that’s a complete non-starter for me.
My sister’s Y dropped out of the silver sneakers, but she and her husband get a discount for being over 65.
I use my Silver Sneakers benefit for 3 different gym memberships, all three with multiple locations.
If I’m going to Costco I go to Planet Fitness, if I want to use the pool I go to the YMCA, etc.
I was under the assumption you only could join one gym. Is there a number or $ amount per month you are capped at?
If you have Silver Sneakers, you can go to any number of gyms that accept Silver Sneakers.
I believe the gyms aren’t paid an ongoing fee, but are paid some amount each time you visit, meaning the gym wants you to utilize your membership.
Someone told me the gyms are paid $12 per visit, but I don’t have a documented source.
I’m not on Silver Sneakers. If I bring a guest to my gym it is about $40.
I can’t believe I slept for 8 hours. First time since getting my Fitbit 2 months ago. Most days it’s 6. And I only got up once. That’s what a separate bed, cold (hotel) room and no cats will do for me. My sleep score was 87. I am very proud. I sent a screenshot to the kids. FDIL2 is a champion sleeper. She’s always in the 90s. We kind of hate her (kidding!)
That sounds right. And there seem to be different “levels” for lack of a better word, of Silver Sneakers. We have it through our Humana supplemental, and we cannot use it at a local gym that accepts the UHC Silver sneakers . And when we traveled to CA, there was a gym that let us use it on a daily basis, but another (in another city) that would only accept it if we registered for a monthly plan (and apparently then couldn’t use the silver sneakers elsewhere.
I am already getting emails about exploring alternative Plan G supplement plans. Not sure yet if we will stay with what we have (rate is going up about $30/mo) or change.
Are the new supplemental $ out there? We too are G and I was looking for comp chart to show me the different providers - we’ve stuck with Aetna because it was easier, but not less expensive. I would like to see other offers this year but couldn’t find them yet.