ISO good fit: small-ish LAC, *super strong* French program, East Coast-ish [homeschool 4.0 GPA, want significantly less than $30k]

Thank you! Definitely. The process for a homeschooler is similar, but the administrative burden on the parent is significant, and because the transcript/educational path is often different…it is hard to forecast/predict! I have learned so much.

My younger child is in public school, and could possibly be a recruited athlete in a few years, so I will learn new things then! Online forums like this are very valuable.

8 Likes

Congratulations :tada::raising_hands:, such wonderful news.
Thank you for returning and updating, this thread will be very useful to future applicants. :folded_hands:
Have fantastic trips to Kenyon and Dickinson :grinning_face:

2 Likes

Also, for future reference for anyone on the board, as of right now, Sewanee does not meet full demonstrated need anymore. They did for a few years, but they have apparently scaled that back as of a couple of years ago. My son got a large merit scholarship there and only $1000 in need based aid, making it by far the most expensive option for us, and knocking it out of the running entirely.

10 Likes

Congrats to your son! Our daughter’s best friend is headed to Centre, it’s a great school. We know several grads, all of whom are very successful and loved their time there. Our D26 got a really nice merit package from Dickinson, so we’re headed there in April to check it out. And Kenyon is great- after our visit, DD said it was the friendliest campus visit she had. Sounds like your son has some fantastic options.

5 Likes

I missed when you posted the update, but THANK YOU for coming back and giving an update and CONGRATULATIONS to your son on such wonderful options!

Looking forward to hearing how the trips to K&D go and what your son ultimately decides to do (and why)!

5 Likes

That is great! Congrats! We’ll be there for admitted student days, then we head straight to Kenyon for their admitted student days!

The friendly factor is nice to know. This is a very kind guy and I would love for him to be in a place that feels friendly/warm.

4 Likes

My daughter described Kenyon as “aggressively friendly” lol. Seriously, everyone from admissions staff to the cafeteria staff and the students were so nice. We’ve known several kids who have attended, and they all seem to have wonderful friend groups and love it there!

7 Likes

I’m loving “aggressively friendly!” We visited a campus where the students seemed very detached—it made the school rank a lot lower in our estimation. We’re excited to visit Kenyon!

6 Likes

The verdict is in: Dickinson! :tada: It feels like the perfect fit for so many reasons. We are thrilled.

What an adventure it has been to choose where to apply, to do all the administrative stuff required of the homeschooling parent, to navigate financial decisions, and to finalize the choice. We are thrilled for our son—& for the school, because they’ve snagged a good one. :slight_smile:

Thanks to all who weighed in and helped here!

36 Likes

Congratulations to your son on making his decision! I’m guessing that the trip to Dickinson went very well. :wink:

Wishing him a wonderful time in college!

1 Like

Thank you! We went for admitted students’ days, then went to Kenyon (which is remarkable in its own right), and he went back to Dickinson this week one more time, just to be sure! We’ve now been 4x (once informally, 3 officially) so we feel very familiar & very good about this choice!

So yes: the visit went great! There were many elements that impressed us but I think top favor goes to the professors and students that he met there.

9 Likes

Congrats. Glad it worked out well. Just to reiterate, he was admitted to all these with what as the highest level of math ? That could be helpful for some to know.

Would you mind filling this out. It can help others needing certain costs in the future.

Thanks and congrats on a fine search.

1 Like

AP Stats was his highest. I suspect this was balanced out by pronounced rigor in other areas (namely languages, possibly his senior thesis). If I’d had it to do over again I would have had him in Alg 1 in 8th grade so he could climb through pre-calc as well, but I was taking care of a cancer patient during his 8th-9th grades & needed to keep life very, very simple. I don’t regret that choice because it was the right thing for our family and it didn’t negatively impact his admissions, but I wouldn’t do it again unless I had another cancer patient on my hands (let’s hope not!). My daughter (freshman in a public HS now) is on track to take the highest level of math her school offers by senior year—particularly since she won’t have the same “customized” education he had, so she needs to stand out in different ways.

2 Likes

I just realized I should tell “why” Dickinson won:

-his interactions with faculty (& we met a lot) were warm, engaging, and positive.

-he sat in on a couple of classes and saw students who were engaged, not checked out/using AI/online shopping during class (he did witness that elsewhere in classes)

-carbon-neutral campus, heavy focus on sustainability; they have a farm and we live on a farm…sustainability is a core value for my son

-first year seminar options interested him

-prospective and current students were generally friendly, intellectual, and kind—again, a contrast with some students he met elsewhere. The “vibe” was warm. No one-upping, etc. He felt more camaraderie. “I can be myself there.”

-excellent languages, great French program with professors who answered our questions and took time with him.

-excellent study abroad-especially interested in the programs in France and Cameroon. Very integrated, supportive study abroad resources. These people know what they’re doing!

-gorgeous library where he could really see himself studying etc

-Carlisle-it seems a little seedy to me in some ways, but it is bustling and he can walk to good restaurants, the independent bookshop, church, etc. Big plus compared to Kenyon—Gambier is cute, but felt isolated. He won’t have a car so being able to walk into “town” is nice.

-closer to home by 2 hours

-His instinct said so, and I agree. It’s the place for him!

21 Likes

What a great update! Congratulations to your son and hope he enjoys Dickinson. Great school.

4 Likes

Congrats to your son on such great results! It sounds like he found the perfect place for him!

4 Likes

Have you posted at the well trained mind forums? This profile vaguely rings a bell.

2 Likes

Yep! The OG online forum for homeschoolers. :slight_smile:

I personally would swap out pre-Calc for AP stats. The lack of pre-Calc may preclude him from more competitive universities. I would also ensure that he has four years of English for the same reason. UVA for one is pretty strict on these requirements and not having four years of English will be a red flag.

1 Like

OP came back to update us on the son’s results…he had a number of acceptances and has decided to attend Dickinson in the fall.

8 Likes