Looks of HS

<p>So I'm going into high school this year and I was wondering what things I should be doing over the next 4 years (ect. clubs or sports). What looks good on a college application, and how long should you do the activities?</p>

<p>The standard abbreviation for et cetera is etc., and it's traditionally used at the end of lists.</p>

<p>Join clubs (or sports if you want) and stick with them, as long as they're things you love, while eventually achieving leadership positions. Also, get good grades. Study and such.</p>

<p>Do things that correlate with what you plan to major in college, along with some volunteering and at least two other legitimate, recreational activities/hobbies</p>

<p>Follow your heart, young man.</p>

<p>No, do sports for sure. You'll make so many more friends and have a lot of fun. Team comraderie in high school is a once in a life time experience. Also clubs aren't that fun unless you're the goofy type but do join them and hold positions. Do lots of community service, maintain a more than perfect gpa, and get a job (contrary to the lazy, ungrateful, spoiled rich-kid philosophy).</p>

<p>You need to play football.</p>

<p>You need to learn underwater basketweaving. It looks extremely good on college applications.</p>

<p>
[quote]
You need to learn underwater basketweaving. It looks extremely good on college applications.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>As long as you show passion for it.</p>

<p>^Obviously :rolleyes:. Who doesn't have a passion for underwater basketweaving?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Who doesn't have passion for underwater basketweaving?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>There are some kids at my school who clearly do it just for the prestige. Their basketweaving skills are weak.</p>

<p>Do not under any circumstances join a club solely for the fact that it will look good on a college app!!!!</p>

<p>^Except basketweaving, you mean.</p>

<p>^^Aww, that's unfortunate :/.</p>

<p>Underwater Basketweaving is not a HS thing... It's a weird tradition at Reed...</p>

<p>
[quote]
Do not under any circumstances join a club solely for the fact that it will look good on a college app!!!!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What about some country's IMO team? It may not be as rewarding if you're just doing it for college, but it looks nice on your CV anyway.</p>

<p>I prefer zero-gravity basketweaving. Way more interesting.</p>

<p>extreme ironing looks great on college apps. Definitely try to do it, both an admissions officer from Harvard and Princeton told me that doing this was one of the best things on an application.</p>

<p>^ Sounds dangerous.</p>

<p>yeah, but I heard if you can iron a shirt while mountain-climbing, skydiving, or tightrope walking you're practically a shoo-in for HYPSM</p>

<p>^ Isn't being alive a requirement for admission? (Or maybe it's actually a big hook to be dead?)</p>