My dad wants me to get a job and buy a car, but I want to save for college!

<p>Another question how does the one just come along? No girl has ever had the slightest interest in me unless she lives far away (so stresful I stopped trying to get a girlfriend online) and WILL NOT have a relationship unless I can physical be with my girlfriend, that’s how it should be. It’s funny how so many people say don’t worry about getting a girlfriend yet they’re the ones who have a relationship themselves so they don’t really care. A bonus question, if I didn’t meet a girl in college where the heck would I? Besides a dating site. I’d so rather meet girls where it’s extremely likely that they are looking to date, because if they’re not you don’t know what to expect. You may find a girl here, and there, and one more over there. But in college they’re ALL around you.</p>

<p>If an enviroment isn’t either directly for or EXTREMELY suited for social interaction then I’m lost!</p>

<p>I’m on this board really because it involved my parent.</p>

<p>bopper gave great advice:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Or, instead of learn to drive, get a job so that you can save money to attend an out-of-town community college. </p>

<p>Quite frankly, if you were my kid I would want you to stay home for another year, getting help with your anxiety and panic issues, working part-time, and taking a class or two at the local community college. It’s far too easy for a student to go off to college and then crash and burn, flunking out of classes because the student isn’t ready to live on their own.</p>

<p>Well my dad would either make fun of me and call me a strange weirdo and stuff or kick me out of home. My mom would go along with him even if she doesn’t agree, because he’s more powerful than her.</p>

<p>Cartman, it sounds like you may have social anxiety, or generalized anxiety disorder. I agree, try to get help for that; an acquaintance’s daughter had anxiety, and felt a lot better after getting help.</p>

<p>I’d say go to CC for two years while saving money/sorting out your anxiety/seeing if you can do well in a college setting. Then transfer.</p>

<p>And at a certain point in time I reached a point where I became unable to rationally stand all that, I can still ignore most of the time, but sometimes I stand up for myself which is a bad idea because he could kick me out or kick my a** if he got mad enough (it’s never happened except for when he was really drunk and he got arrested, but he still drinks all the time but some medication was involved and it’s never happened again, but a few times he’s almost gotten violent). I’ve felt alot like just punching him in the face but have refrained because then I’d get arrested and probably go to prison because that’s how America is. And then my life would be ruined.</p>

<p>But I’d have to stay at home for those two years! Then I’ll be pushed to drive and if I do I’ll have an episode and might die from a crash! Or braking and smashing my head in the windshiel because my brain will say to go full speed and slam the brake. Everything is ALL THE WAY and ALL OF A SUDDEN. I mentioned I might need to go see the doctor and get therapy and medication and he was like omg another problem, you don’t need medicine to fix everything you just need to get over it and man up and stuff like that. Like i said, any way that’s not his way is weird and/or stupid to him. I don’t even care if I’m a dissapointment to him or not now, because his expectations are too high for me with my mental problems and other life problems.</p>

<p>It seems to me that he thinks people with problems interfering with life shouldn’t be allowed to participate in normal life, that’s why I wanted to rub the video of the blind man riding in a google car in his face (not literally, not THAT much figuratively). I said it’s not his fault that he’s blind, everyone deserves to have a normal life, it’s not fair to people who can’t help their problem. So we use technology to fix certain problems and give equality to people with disablilities or whatever problems they have. Also the sole purpose of self driving cars being made is to reduce the number of car related deaths.</p>

<p>To posters: Cartman has OCD. He literally CANNOT drive. And his father cannot comprehend what OCD is, so he tries to force him to do things that trigger his OCD and/or place him at risk (like driving). He was also taunted and bullied and had to be moved to another high school just so he could finish school safely. So he can’t stay at home and he can’t stay in his town.
We need to find him solutions that don’t involve staying at home.
Texas is a huge state, there are schools that he could attend. There are lots of small, friendly colleges between the Southwest, the Pacific Northwest, the Midwest… that would welcome a nerdy kid and offer opportunities for friendship, dating, activities, etc.</p>

<p>Cartman, why don’t you work and place your money in a bank account <em>in your name</em>? This is key. It can’t be in your father’s name, it can’t be in your mother’s name, it has to be in your name. Choose a bank that has branches all over Texas or all over the Southwest. I think Wells Fargo or Bank of America have branches all over. This way you could open an account in your town (under your name) and use the money wherever you want.
Work. Your job will wire the money to your bank account. No one will be able to touch it but you. If that keeps the peace, tell your dad you’re saving for a car. Whatever. It’s your money, in your bank account. You’re free to use that money for college. Once you’ve been admitted to college and send in your deposit, your money has been well spent. Your dad cannot force you to buy a car and if your dad can’t get to your money, well, he won’t be able to take it from you.
Go look for a job and open that bank account. :slight_smile: Good luck and let us know how that went.</p>

<p>Cartman, I just went back and read through some of your other threads. IMO–You are not ready to go away to college. Based on what you’ve written in previous threads, you are the perfect candidate to take a gap year for maturity reasons as well as continuing with treatment for your OCD and other issues.</p>

<p>You can sign up online for the SAT and/or ACT test. You have to pay with a credit card. </p>

<p>Before you even start the college application process, you need to have a realistic picture of your academic abilities—for example, What is your gpa? What was the rigor of your high school curriculum? What is your SAT/ACT test score? </p>

<p>Going to college is not a cure-all for your issues. In almost every thread on CC, your priority seems to be searching for a place to find a girl so you can have sex. You seem to be under the impression that if you attend college, girls will throw themselves in your direction.
It doesn’t work that way. College is not like the way it’s portrayed in fictional TV shows. </p>

<p>I suggest to other CC members to go back and read through the OP’s previous threads before taking the time to give specific advice about colleges.</p>

<p>I am not just trying to get laid! I even make that clear! And I don’t want to go to college just to find a girl, but I do worry about it because if one thing goes wrong it can mess my whole life up. How dare you say I just want to get laid and nothing else, that’s offensive because its a stereotype. I get labeled with stereotypes JUST FOR BEING A GUY! And even more for being a teen guy. Oh you’re a 17 year old guy you must have lots of parties and have girls all over you and go to parties and have fun every weekend. I hate when people think I’m just like all the other guys! And there are plenty of guys who ARE LIKE ME!</p>

<p>Not EVERYONE in the world is a dirty backstabbing sexaholic money obsessed person! And thanks for the gap suggestion (literally thanks), but I’d get lonely because all my friends will be gone and on with their lives and ill get seriously depressed and it’ll be a nightmare for other reasons as well. And if people don’t know me (plus college is a new world with more mature people than high school) they can’t be like get that’s that loser, what’s up (something mean). I saw these idiot guys LITERALLY acting like monkeys because a girl throw food on their table. Two of my friends were sitting with me and saw it too. It’s sad actually.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1574002-what-colleges-would-match-my-requirements.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1574002-what-colleges-would-match-my-requirements.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Let me rephrase it—It seems to me that your priority for going to college is to find a girlfriend. </p>

<p>I suggest you attend your local community college. Take a broad range of subjects until you figure out which subjects match with your academic strengths and which subjects hold your interest. From there, set a career goal and focus your education towards helping you to meet that goal.</p>

<p>You can sign yourself up for the SAT/ACT tests online! Yes, you will need your Mom’s credit card, but you can do the rest yourself.</p>

<p>You came on this board to get advice and we gave it to you. You are not looking at the picture realistically. We understand you want to get out of TX, but that is not going to happen immediately. You do not have the money, the maturity or plans in place to go to college right now. I think your father knows this and realizes you need to work and mature and then MAYBE one day you might be ready.</p>

<p>Cartman cannot stay at home and go to the local community college because of family issues. And he cannot drive due to a disability which his father refuses exists, he’s not exagerating when he says that.</p>

<p>However, it would indeed be possible for him to find a community college in a city with good transportation/transit. That would be a way for him to get out of his house if he cannot take the SAT/ACT. (Cartman, community college can be attended anywhere in the state and you don’t need to take the SAT.)
People from Texas, which cities have the best public transportation? I would imagine Austin has good public transit? Any community college in Austin?</p>

<p>Well, I am not familiar with TX but in MS “alternative school” is assigned to students who have gotten into A LOT of trouble or in certain cases I have seen it assigned to seniors who are at great risk of flunking out and not graduating. So they put them into alternative in hopes of removing them from the mainstream school to focus on getting enough help to pass them. </p>

<p>Without his parents assistance it will be very hard for this young man to go to any college, even community college. He lives in a small town with no community college access. His mother and father do not support the idea of him attending college. He is not familiar with the process of getting into college and he does not and WILL not drive. </p>

<p>How will he get out of town to even go to a CC in another city without his parents support? He has not told us his GPA and if it is low he will not qualify for any type of scholarships and may not even be accepted into a CC if not high enough. He must complete the FAFSA to qualify for financial aid and it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do that without his parents help too. </p>

<p>After doing a quick search online it looks as though TX has certain requirements for college that must be met … </p>

<p>[College</a> For All Texans: The Tests You’ll Need](<a href=“College For All Texans: Home”>College For All Texans: Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA))</p>

<p>and the Community Colleges are not cheap if you are living on campus. Even with the max pell grant he would still need appx $10,000. </p>

<p><a href=“College For All Texans: Page Not Found”>http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/CollegeMatchUp/collegematch2.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If he is not eligible for scholarships and does not have his parents support, either financially and/or to help with paperwork, loans etc … I do not see how this is even an option for him. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, college is not for everyone. You need to plan ahead, take courses required and get good grades. You need to take tests, fill out paperwork online and plan everything out in advance. You cant just wake up one day and decide that you want to go to college to find a future wife and get out from under your parents. That is not how it works.</p>

<p>Cartman, have to taken TAKS last year?
If so, how well did you score? If not, when are you scheduled to take it?</p>

<p>If you’re in district for Austin Community College, a semester would cost you $996. If you’re out of district, a semester would cost you $3,000. That’s for 12 credits, the minimum to be considered a full time time student. 12 credits allow you to receive financial aid.
All Austin Community College students receive a free bus/transit pass.
"ACC’s Green Pass program provides students, faculty, and full-time staff free riding on Capital Metro services. "</p>

<p>You have left out all the fees involved along with yearly $9200 for room and board. And appx $1200 for books. You arent doing him any favors by painting this out to be all roses and rainbows. He needs to look at this realistically.</p>

<p>My mom WANTS me to go to college and highly encourages me to.</p>