NYU Abu Dhabi ED1 profile feedback -a Nigerian student interested in CS/AI/ML

Hi! I’m a Nigerian student applying ED1 to NYU Abu Dhabi for Computer Science, with a particular interest in AI/ML. I’d really appreciate feedback on how my application comes across, especially from current students or people familiar with NYUAD admissions.

I’m mainly trying to understand whether the building → AI/education research → human-centered technology thread of my application comes across clearly, and whether there are parts of my background that may need more context.

Demographics

International student from Nigeria

Female

Significant financial need

Academics

WASSCE:

\* Chemistry — A1

\* Physics — B3

\* Biology — B3

\* Economics — B3

\* Mathematics — B3

\* Further Mathematics — B3

\* Civic Education — B3

\* English — C6

My school does not provide class rank. My transcript is roughly in the low-70% range overall.

I’m applying without SAT/ACT.

Main extracurricular / probably the center of my application

I founded and built a web-fiction platform for writers, translators, and editors. I’m a self-taught full-stack developer and built the platform using Next.js, TypeScript, React, and Supabase.

I recruited 20+ founding contributors, with a larger creator community becoming involved as the project developed. I built systems involving authentication, databases, translation tools, messaging, and payments.

What became especially important to me was how feedback from the people using the platform changed what I built. Some features came directly from problems writers and translators described rather than from my original plans.

Research

I independently researched human-AI collaboration in education through a literature-based project. I became interested in the question of when AI supports a student’s thinking and when it begins replacing that thinking.

I developed a four-mode framework for distinguishing different ways students interact with AI.

Other activities

\* Freelance/self-taught developer: Studied frontend development formally and taught myself backend development. I’ve built several web projects.

\* Contracted webnovel author: Published multiple novels on web-fiction platforms. I used my first significant writing earnings to help fund the laptop I use for development.

\* Track: Participated throughout secondary school and won medals in inter-school races.

Most of my strongest activities came from things I pursued independently rather than school clubs or formal organizations.

A few things I’d especially appreciate thoughts on:

\* Does the development → Novara → AI/education research thread come across as coherent, or do the activities feel disconnected?

\* My strongest activities are mostly independent rather than school-based. For current NYUAD students with similar backgrounds, how did you communicate that context in your application?

\* Are there parts of my academic background that would benefit from additional context for someone unfamiliar with the Nigerian/WASSCE system?

\* Does my supplemental’s interpretation of bridge-building through collaboration and incorporating other people’s perspectives come across clearly?

\* For current CS students, how well does NYUAD support someone interested in combining software development with AI/ML research?

I’d especially love to hear from Nigerian/African students or students who came from schools where extracurricular opportunities were limited. Critical feedback is welcome. Thank you!

For any CC members who may not understand. In Nigeria, the A range is typically 70-100% versus the typical 90-100% in the U.S. The average “C” is centered around 50.

SAMPLE NIGERIA GRADING SCALE:


“NYU Abu Dhabi welcomes students from a wide range of educational systems and backgrounds.”

You indeed meet the type of student NYU Abu Dhabi is looking to attract!

“Building a strong foundation in calculus in high school ensures you can transition smoothly and succeed academically from day one.”

What is your mathematical experience - algebra, geometry, trigonometry, analytic geometry, calculus, probability, statistics, any higher level? Are your math grades 70+, 80+,90+?

I noticed they said any Abu Dhabi students get funded by the government.

I couldn’t find anything about need aware/blind that might impact.

WASSCE further maths covers:

  1. Part I: Pure Mathematics (Calculus, Algebra, Trigonometry, Matrices, Coordinate Geometry)
  2. Part II: Statistics and Probability
  3. Part III: Vectors and Mechanics

I think OP’s main issue is going to be the very low admit rate to NYUAD (something like 4%). I’m not sure how much of a boost ED will give.

1 Like

AFAIK the Emirati government funds Emirati nationals. The NYUAD campus does not fall under the NYU Promise, though they claim there is “generous scholarship consideration”. Aid is need based but there doesn’t seem to be a commitment to meeting full need for all admits, like there is under the Promise for the NYC campus.

1 Like

I am also not sure if being a Nigerian native would provide any admissions advantage. NYU Abu Dhabi is looking to construct a qualified & diverse class from a wide variety of backgrounds. Is Amirah-D competing directly with other Nigerian applicants? Also, it’s definitely not calculus-optional. Her calculus score or grade could be the numerical data (test score substitute) that NYU admissions pays close attention to in addition to overall converted GPA.

1 Like

Well, that’s not something OP has control over. It seems that while they have students from over 80 countries, the bulk of non-emiratis come from the US and Asia, and Egypt is the largest represented African country. So at worst being Nigerian would likely be neutral and it possibly does represent some sort of advantage.

1 Like

pure math

so is this a good sign

How deep though? Number theory & abstract algebra? Mathematical logic & set theory? Geometry & topology? Analysis? Any exposure to multivariable calculus yet?

Thanks for asking! By “pure math,” I meant the mathematics I studied in secondary school. I took Mathematics and Further Mathematics, including differentiation and integration of functions of one variable, matrices, and vectors. I received B3 in both subjects in WASSCE.

1 Like

My personal statement follows how my interest in technology developed—from discovering PowerPoint to building Novara and exploring human–AI collaboration in education. It focuses on how I started thinking more carefully about the people using the tools I build.

My NYUAD supplement explains how its academic opportunities and international community connect with my interests in computer science, AI, and technology that serves people.
And feel that my essays are a strong part of my application. They connect my experiences building Novara and exploring human–AI collaboration with my interests and reasons for choosing NYUAD. I’ve received positive feedback, though I understand that essays alone don’t guarantee admission.

1 Like

My personal statement follows how my interest in technology developed—from discovering PowerPoint to building Novara and exploring human–AI collaboration in education. It focuses on how I started thinking more carefully about the people using the tools I build.

My NYUAD supplement explains how its academic opportunities and international community connect with my interests in computer science, AI, and technology that serves people.
And feel that my essays are a strong part of my application. They connect my experiences building Novara and exploring human–AI collaboration with my interests and reasons for choosing NYUAD. I’ve received positive feedback, though I understand that essays alone don’t guarantee admission.

A B3 grade in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) typically equates to an Advanced Placement score of 4, meaning Well Qualified

“A1” & “B2” are higher grades than “B3”. Another applicant with higher math grades could be preferred. Not sure how much importance is given to these grades in the NYU admissions process.

If you have not covered sequences and series, this likely covered the AP Calculus AB syllabus only & not the full BC syllabus.

For additional context, the approximately 70% I mentioned is my school average, not a converted US GPA. My school’s grading scale is A1 = 75–100%, B2 = 70–74%, and B3 = 65–69%. My Grade 9–12 results include A1 and B grades in core subjects, alongside the WASSCE results I listed.

1 Like

so is this a good sign

You should apply to NYU Abu Dhabi ED1, as soon as possible. They strongly recommend submitting the application one month in advance of the deadline.

Q: Are you applying to any other colleges & universities outside of Nigeria?

Thank you! I already submitted my NYU Abu Dhabi ED1 application in early September. I’m also considering Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar. Significant financial aid is essential for me, and I’m concerned about the difficulty of obtaining a US student visa from Nigeria, so I’m particularly interested in options in the UAE and Qatar.

Carnegie Mellon is not test-optional. In the U.S., Carnegie Mellon for CS has a lower admit rate than NYU & is generally more difficult to gain admission to.

Sounds like a good plan - open to going to college in different countries.