Parents of the HS Class of 2019 (Part 1)

Sorry @momcatof4, OOS at UNC is super tough! So many great schools waitlisting/rejecting awesome applicants this year. Hoping your D lands in a spot that is perfect for her!

@liska21 very few schools are truly need blind. Our son was admitted to and is attending Tulane. The Tulane website represented that they are need blind. I called FA to confirm this and turns out, nope! Not actually need blind! I had to drag it out of the FA person who answered the phone, he was VERY reluctant to talk about it. But at the end of his not so direct response, he said, “well, put it this way, we don’t hold it against you.” Which I took to mean, it is not held against students who apply for FA. But it is a plus for students who are full pay. Luckily, they really did not hold it against us, since D received very generous need-based FA (something our first college kid never qualified for, but things change…).

Also, the Common App itself indicates very clearly whether or not you are applying for FA. It is not too tough to figure out who is full pay! There are a few articles online about how “need blind” is pretty much total bull, even at the very top schools.

Good luck and congrats to all with 2019s! I have not been active here but looks like a lively discussion!

Anyone here with any current (or past) students at a Claremont Consortium school??

S19 batting .500 tonight with an acceptance at Carleton and a rejection from Amherst. Ten down. Three more to go!

@4kids4colleges Even though the common app asks if you are applying for FA, admissions counselors at need blind colleges don’t see that answer.

Congrats @homerdog on Carleton!
You mean Amherst though for the no? So he must not be too broken up about that one, if he confuses it with Williams- lol!

@wisteria100 I’m so turned around. I wrote Williams instead of Amherst. Caught it in time to change it. Geez I’m tired. Let’s get all of these decisions in already.

D is accepted by UCSD but waitlisted by UCLA. She perfers UCSB over UCSD.
She is waiting for UCB and other private colleges.
She requested me not to ask about acceptance statuses until all decisions are released.

@wisteria100, this is what I thought about Tulane. But after many efforts to get to the truth, they finally admitted that the AOs do in fact look at FA status. Need-blind is not really need-blind at many of these schools. It is a plus for the wealthy, even if it is not a minus for students needing FA.

Also, in my post above I talked about “D” as the student going to Tulane. Wrong! That would be S, one of our 4, the third in college, which is why I am so confused LOL.

S accepted into UCLA

“Need blind admissions belongs in a book of fairy tales with Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs.” https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bev-taylor/need-blind-admissions-is-_b_5615698.html. I found this out on my own, but it makes a whole lot of sense. From the article:

The fact is that if highly selective colleges truly were need blind, then why in the “Profile” section of the Common Application does it ask students if they require a fee waiver for the application? College admissions officers can see this response and it’s a heck of a clue as to their need for aid. And they can also see on a specific college’s “Member Page” through the Common App., under the “General” tab, a question that reads: “Financial aid: Yes or No.” College admissions officers are human. Don’t think for a second their eyes won’t glance there, even unintentionally. The tenets of social psychology teach us that your response to these questions can indeed prime their read of your application. Prime them wisely.“”

I believe it is also likely obvious in many app. essays which kids are full-pay and which are not.

@KCHWriter I have a D15 who is a senior at Pomona.

DD waitlisted for UCLA

@homerdog Congrats on the Carleton acceptance, and commiserations on the Amherst rejections
@gzza73 Congratulations!!

Sorry about the WL, @momcatof4, but as others have said, UNC really takes few OOS students, and to you too, @Ranipetgir.

As Purim, which commemorates really good news, ends, I wish for only the best news for all of those who are still waiting for responses!

DD is in at Carleton and Haverford.

Congratulations, @lemon drop!!
PS. How do you have two separate words in your screen name?

I’ll admit that full pay might help but, just like some of the other factors we’ve discussed here, we will never know how much. We are full pay. But S19 still got $25k merit at Kenyon (which is need aware) and at Grinnell (which is “need blind”). He was also named Monroe Scholar at W&M and a faculty scholar at Bowdoin so, even if being full pay is a bump, I would like to believe it’s not a leading factor since schools seem to put him near the top of their lists with this merit and/or distinctions.

And full pay didn’t push him past the finish line at Midd. Waitlisted this morning. :wink:

And yea @lemon drop!! Congrats! Two great schools! We discovered Haverford a little too late but I think S19 would have liked it too. Hard choices ahead.

@4kids4colleges I don’t think you can always tell in essays. Again, we have friends who have their kids in very expensive ECs and travel all of the time. We were at a party recently and these parents were saying things like they don’t have the money for the elite schools their kids want and they won’t get any aid. These parents are trying to convince their kids to say no to big loans and take the options that gave them merit or have a lesser cost of admission like some of the state schools. Many people out there spend their money and do not save enough for college.

Last two decisions. D19 still asleep, so, don’t know about Midd yet. She hasn’t given me permission to check ? Conn for S19 in an hour or so. I have permission from him!