Hey all - we’re in a similar boat as many of you. Nearing the homestretch but So Much To Do to get there.
School stuff - S25’s last day in school is this Thursday. Then they do their senior capstone experience for a few weeks before graduation. He’s desperately trying to get late assignments turned in so he can pull his grades out of the crapper. He spent all weekend on stats and english assignments. Since he bombed so badly third quarter, he was supposed to aim for A’s this quarter to try to counterbalance. That’s not going to be possible, so I’m hoping for low B’s at least. We’ll see.
The downside of him being so busy is that it just stinks to not be able to do anything fun on the weekend. Not only was yesterday Mother’s Day, but also my 50th birthday. Husband remembered a gift (we won’t speak of my 30th birthday and first coherent Mother’s day (the year prior I had a colicky 4 week old, it didn’t count as I was a zombie) … which he forgot…), cut me some lovely flowers from my yard, made the coffee in the morning and gave me the time and space and quiet to just sit in my cozy chair and read. We went to my mom’s for dinner and hanging out with the cousins, but S25 had to come late and leave early to try to get work done. This is exactly what happened over winter break - I felt like we were held hostage in the house because he needed to be doing homework to catch up, and we never quite got to do the fun casual family things I had planned. This is one thing I won’t miss once he’s in college next year.
So if I understand correctly, he had to turn in all his English and Math overdue stuff today. I don’t think he has any overdue stuff in Gov or in ASL and I don’t think he has any more tests/quizzes for ASL. He’s got this week to complete three lab reports for Chem, as well as to finish his science fair project and complete his photography portfolio. I’m hoping he gets at least some of this done. He had a chance this quarter to get good grades that could’ve made up for the third quarter debacle, and he’s basically lost that chance, so now I’m just hoping for decent grades.
He has basically an all day senior BBQ / field day / party on Friday, two weeks of internship, prom is on the 31st and graduation is on the 4th. We just need to get there.
On the college front, because he’s still stuck in trying to catch up on HS stuff, he’s behind on the college things he’s supposed to do. You have to complete several hours of virtual orientation modules before you can meet with your academic advisor, and must meet with the advisor before you can register for classes. He’s done a little of the orientation, but has a good bit to go. At this rate, he’s not going to get a good time slot for course registration. I’m hoping it won’t be a problem because (a) his APs are basically going to count for almost all the required gen ed courses and (b) his major is capped to a small group of students, so I’m hoping that means that they ensure enough seats for the students in the required courses.
He’s also done nothing about finding a roommate. I hate the whole roommate process at Clemson. You have to find your own, which I think is challenging regardless. Students must find a roommate by May 15th. If you don’t have a roommate by May 15th, you go to the back of the line for housing selection - all roommate pairs get to go first, and they go in order based on the earliest date that a roommate submitted their application to Clemson (not housing deposit, actual application for admission). So you can’t say “just pair me up with a random person and merge us in to the by date selection”. Instead it’s all roommate pairs, then all people who haven’t identified a roommate. I’ve been asking him to reach out to people via the portal or instagram or whatever, but he hasn’t or hasn’t had time. I’ve decided that if he doesn’t care, then neither do I. He’s probably going to get a crummy dorm, but that’s life. At least the dorms that seem the least desirable (because older, junky hall bathrooms) are in a good location, so if he gets that, it’s not totally awful.