Parents of the HS Class of 2026 (Part 2)

I think the real issue is that it’s datapoints of only 5 students that spoke. Maybe not a representative sample.

It’s pretty wild how someone’s entire outlook on a school can be swayed by any number of random things: tour guide, the weather, the student panel that speaks on any given day, the food, etc.

I suppose at the end of the day that’s a good thing because how else would anyone make a choice between schools that you really can’t know much about until you’re actually a matriculated student there.

9 Likes

Right?! I feel like it’s both wild AND necessary for the random reasons. There are something like 4000 colleges in the US?! Any and all things are good reasons to take a college off a list. Tyranny of choice!

2 Likes

If you’re going to be at Tulane during Crawfest on 4/18 (I went to accepted student day with S23 on this day back in '23) be sure to stick around/partake. Unless you don’t want your son to go there. :slight_smile: Glad it worked out with them - based on your post I figured it HAD to be an error. They put on a pretty good accepted student event.

2 Likes

Ha! I can’t comment about any of the schools on her list, but I can tell you that UCLA’s outstanding food options really did make a difference in D22’s quality of life. D22 was a lifelong picky eater and UCLA’s chefs managed to expand her palate in ways I couldn’t figure out for 18 years! We even tried to copy some of the recipes from her favorite dishes over the summer. It’s actually not a terrible way to make a choice between relative equals :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Our tour of Wesleyan this fall offered a great perspective on academics. Our tour guide was passionate about her academics, but also about the open curriculum, noting that it was great to be in small classes where everyone has chosen to be there. And it was great to “never take a [insert a subject you don’t like] class again if you don’t want to.” We spent a good amount of time talking about extracurriculars too, but we didn’t come away feeling as though academics were secondary to ECs. But agree that first/early impressions can sway people and there isn’t really an opportunity to get to know a school on a deeper level until you’ve spent time there.

6 Likes

Spousal Unit & I decided that we’re going to make a pitch to D26…

  • take 15 units/semester
  • do only 1 major & only 1 minor
  • take 9 units of classes in winter and/or summer session (or take 18 units a couple of semesters)

…we will then pay for some of her grad school tuition if she decides to go to grad school at a later date.

…because graduating a year early (which is achievable w/the AP credits she has) will save us about $25,000.

She’s a sensible kid. Pretty sure she’ll go for this. Gonna pitch the idea this evening. Feels like doing something like a marketing presentation. :rofl:

5 Likes

I don’t know anything about the food at these schools, but I can tell you that food is important. Unless your kid is living in an apartment and cooking for themselves, they’re eating this food every day for four years – and that’s a lot.

My eldest was eating better than we do her freshman year – she would send me pictures of goat cheese and pears on croissants and all manner of delicious things. Then there was some drama and a beloved chef ended up leaving the school – and it took a turn for the worse.

AlI else being equal, I think it’s a very valid decision factor!

6 Likes

Houston is also an incredible food town where you can get any authentic - name your type- food. People who have never been are often surprised by this.

Asia-town alone is about an 8 mile section of the city.

2 Likes

We go to Houston for robotics every year and struggle with food so much. It feels like nothing is open past 6pm unless it’s expensive and much of what is open during the week is then closed on Saturday. Any suggestions? We will be there again this month and I’d love to have some options!

1 Like

I bought my 3rd WooZoo fan today. S26 now has his too. Lol. Good deal and they do work well.

Good luck to everyone with all the admitted student visits. Between my 3 kids, we only went to 3, but I enjoyed them. Definitely a different feel than a regular visit. I feel like I missed out on all this fun with S26 since he was sure where he was going. Oh well. I’ll think about the money saved instead.

He’s been working hard on scholarships still. I know he’s wearing down, but they are getting a little easier as more can be reused. Having positive results would help a lot I bet! But most are not announced until May at the earliest and more are due before that. I should count the money saved by not visiting colleges as a scholarship he won!

7 Likes

Our favorite place is Bori - a Korean restaurant. They have 2 locations but the one in Spring Branch is better. They have this neat little art gallery room where a local Korean artist has several of his paintings. Im not sure what is considered expensive with inflation these days but it’s probably around $60/person. They do have a happy hour for the same meal but less.

I’ve heard this, but I’m not sure my kid has taken advantage, alas. She has gone to a couple of interesting ethnic restaurants here and there, but mostly I hear of her going to Rice Village for tacos – or Cane’s or IHOP, lol. Ah, well.

@Luanne what part of town is the robotics competition in? I agree the area immediately around Rice and the medical center does NOT have food that is open late – Rice Village does (kinda? I think?) – but I’m really not super familiar.

I should have been more specific. We are downtown and need to walk from the convention center with a group of 25 kids and 10 adults. We budget $30 or less for dinner if at all possible. Some end up more if we can trim elsewhere.

But, S26 and I are staying an extra day, so I am adding Bori to my list!

1 Like

Robotics is downtown at the convention center. Last year we stayed by the Medical Center and it was great for food compared to the prior years downtown, lol. Rice Village was a 25 minute walk, which after a long day was tough, but it was doable.

1 Like

Downtown Houston may close early and your food choices are somewhat limited late night.

If you can venture outside downtown, 3 really good bbq spots are Truth bbq, Pinkertons and Blood Bbq.

1 Like

We ate at the dining hall at Occidental when we were there. It was great! Lots of options. My daughter is vegetarian and quite a foodie and she had no complaints.

3 Likes

Thanks for the hotel tip. I’m calling around tonight to book.

And the young man who helped us review the package on Monday was great, friendly and respectful. I wish the package was as strong as that offered by competitors, but it was at least in line with npc.

1 Like

That’s because you happened upon a panel that was titled, “Student Life”. The way the panels are set up at Wesleyan is that they are divided into different subjects. That’s why they could do such a deep dive into the subject of housing. There were/are other panels, including one for “Academics”.

2 Likes

THE PIT ROOM.

We used to have a chain ramen place around the corner from us – Rakkan Ramen – that was our absolute favorite. No idea about authenticity, but the best takoyaki and pork buns in addition to delicious ramen. They had some creamy ones that were really good. Restaurant closed awhile ago, and D26 in particular was heartbroken.

BUT it turns out there is one in Houston! D22 confirms that the food is almost equally good. So D26 is leaning on her hard to go there for her graduation dinner, lol – we’re a family that prefers low-key meals, so I’m thinking D22 will agree.

2 Likes