I did the math, if I manage to get some A’s and stuff, it could make an upward trend so even if it isn’t a good target like 3.5, they can see that. Also winter classes would help.
By all means give Laf a shot BUT be mentally prepared to: 1) not get in; 2) not have the money part work out; and/or 3) have your parents say no way.
I wish you the best, but finishing at CUNY where you are settled, have friends, and can make the finances work IS a reasonable option. Getting a degree and moving towards an independent life is your primary goal.
Thank you. I’ll try my best and I will find more schools. I pray I don’t stay in this house any longer.
I would like ask about the money part. It’s federal loans and asks for 7,500 per year for juniors which would work for two years and the debt would be better than most. I’m an economics student.
Some financial factors:
--Lafayette’s calculation of meeting full need may be different from yours.
–I believe (you can research) Lafayette is need-aware which means if you require substantial financial aid that can lower you chance of being admitted (especially with your GPA).
– Your parents need to be willing to fill out and submit the necessary forms.
Don’t think I can add any more. Good luck.
Are you sure of that?
I don’t know the answer to this, but we’re not talking about a 3.2 gpa in high school, but rather at another college. I have generally thought of a 3.2 in college as pretty good work.
In the most recent common data set Lafayette accepted 53 of 233 transfer students for a 23% acceptance rate. So “pretty good” (with a couple of C’s) may not be good enough – especially if the school is need-aware (OP needs to research the need-aware part). All the OP can do is apply and see what happens.
IMO the OP would be wise to expand their horizons of potential transfer schools and prepare to finish at CUNY is need be.
I certainly wouldn’t call Lafayette a target. I’m not suggesting OP not apply to reach schools, but a 3.2 with two C’s and high financial need makes all meet full need schools reachy, IMO. As an aside, there is significant grade inflation at many undergrad schools, not dissimilar to other levels of education.
ETA: One of the C’s is in Elements of Calculus, which is not at the Calc 1 level (at CUNYs, AFAIK). This will be an issue at some schools, especially as the intended major of Econ is quant heavy at many schools.
The problem is that we don’t know the grades of those 23% or of the 77% who were declined. We simply don’t have enough information to advise one way or another on this matter.
Yalina Ramos is the Admissions Officer at Lafayette in charge of transfer applications. My advice is that the OP call her next week and ask her directly what kind of GPA would put her in the ballpark for consideration. Ms. Ramos is on vacation this week and therefore unavailable to be contacted. She can also be reached by email.
Your Lafayette package would include $2,000 or so in federal work study (a job you need to find and for which you’re only paid for the hours you actually complete, but for which you have priority over a “regular” student because whoever hires you has part of your wages subsidized) and you’re guaranteed a $7,500 loan on top of your no-loan package as long as your parents film out FAFSA.
I agree 3.2 makes Lafayette a reach but good news, there are lots of meet-need colleges with strong Economics programs.
Do retake the two classes and try to get an A - office hours, review programs, tutoring… You’re a full time student: college is your full time job now = spend 40 hours a week on campus and make them count.
Since you’re a young woman, what about applying to Bryn Mawr, a women’s college near Philadelphia? Another big reach but since male students can’t apply it helps a bit and it might be a point in your favor wrt your dad’s objections. (Strictly speaking Bryn Mawr has a partner college that’s co-ed but your dad probably doesn’t know that so no need to bring it up).
Other colleges that should run the NPC on: Dickinson (a bit further away but they meet need), Mount Holyoke (another women’s college, in Massachusetts so may be too far, 3hours away from NYC).
The website shows Jade Saybolt-Halikias as the Associate Director of Transfer Admissions. Transfer Applicants - Admissions · Admissions · Lafayette College The OP can confirm and get in touch with the appropriate person.
I would never discourage the OP from applying to Lafayette. I would however, discourage the OP from pinning all their hopes and dreams on any one college.
I understand my GPA would be a problem. What GPA should I aim for in my first semester?
Also I have extracurriculars, should I give them?
3.2 is my first year GPA, just to let you know.
We understand that. You will likely have one more semester worth of grades included in a transfer admissions evaluation. Just so the best you can next semester (which you should strive to do regardless of any potential transfer.)
Hopefully you have strong ECs, will get excellent LORs, and can write compelling essays.
Yeah, thanks for the advice. I hope I wasn’t sounding like a brat, I just this to work out.
I also did mention my mental health affected me a lot. Should I add that?
I would not. Some colleges can see mental health issues as a concern.
I see thanks
Does winter classes help
Any classes that you have completed and earned a good grade in will be a positive in your application. Just continue working hard and doing ECs you love.
Do you have other schools on your list so far? Myos1634 gave you some great ideas, do you want more ideas? If you can react to some of the schools in myos’ post that would be helpful too!
If you are certain you want to transfer, you do need to add at least one affordable school that is highly likely for admission…do you know what school that is at this point (it’s ok if you don’t!)