Transferring Student

That’s what I’m worried about. I don’t know if they will. Like I said they have a habit of saying yes and then just doing something else

2 Likes

Yes, I had to deal with the same thing with old world parents - although I lived on campus for -college which helped to avoid the itherwise constant hassles when I was home. I dealt with it the only way I could. Endured. I had the support of friends and a girl friend. Looking back in it, I was anxious & depressed but didn’t realize it. Probably also some ADHD. I took a lot of psyc courses. I think that was my therapy. Haha.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that. Honestly I relate, I said it here, but I really think independence would help me. My therapy is virtual and free so I don’t have to worry about that, and it would benefit me a lot.

1 Like

Don’t they have to complete FAFSA for CCNY?

1 Like

They were willing to because it’s CCNY. It’s cheap and I come back home. Also their friend went there.

I agree that living away from home during the school year would help you a lot.

It would. Funny story, my dad gets upset whenever I stay longer at school, like he expects me to come home after school all of the time, so even if I study he’s always stopping something. Once I went to Queens to do my project and he kept calling me and complaining about how I use college to have fun. I need to leave honestly haha

1 Like

Does he not understand that college is not high school. You only do 15 hours a week in class because you’re expected to do independent study outside class time. Tell him when you’re working on projects or other activities and study for school that you’re “at the office”.

True. He’s just conservative honestly. I don’t want to talk too much about this, but he gets mad easily and just feels controlling such as how I dress and all that (I’m a girl) and says disgusting things about us, especially me. My mom is somewhat better but she barely helps me out and just takes other people’s side or goes “I hate my life”. I can’t blame her but if I do something, somehow she has all the energy

2 Likes

What is your back up plan if they don’t complete financial aid forms or don’t ‘allow’ you to transfer? CSS Profile requires more financial detail than does FAFSA.

I do encourage you to spend time thinking about a back up plan. Lafayette and any meet full need school will be a reach with a 3.2 GPA. Lafayette is also need aware in the admissions process. What other schools might work for you? Could any of the SUNYs work?

2 Likes

I’m not sure what my backup plan could me. I could just do it for them that’s one thing, but even if I did, they would just make that decision that I can’t go.

Also, during that time, my mental health wasn’t good (OCD and depression), not an excuse obviously, but I plan to take advantage of office hours, studying, and all of that because I admit I didn’t do too much of that in my first year. Hopefully I can do well and get an 3.6 when I transfer along with winter classes. Also I have decent extracurriculars and I will improve it.

Maybe it’s not too realistic but I will try my best this time. I hope I don’t sound confusing or anything.

That’s great, and working hard in school with good study habits are among the things in your control.

Pay attention to transfer deadlines, Lafayette’s is May 1, but some schools are much earlier, even in February. Either way, you will be applying with only one more semester of grades. Some schools might want to see your second semester grades before making an admissions decision.

I’m not sure after one semester you can get your GPA to a 3.6 cumulative, but an upward trend will be good. Do you have any C’s or lower on your transcript?

I have a C in Elements of Calculus (It was my fault, sometimes I would miss homeworks but I turned most of them in) and a C- in Principles of Management (the teacher was so bad and the tests sometimes didn’t follow what we learned). I might retake Management. I don’t know about Calculus.

Also second semester is on January to late May? Does that work?

I would tell any student in any situation that it is a big mistake to pin your hopes and dreams on any one college. I am a huge fan of Lafayette, but your GPA makes me think it will be an academic reach (in addition to the finances having to work out.)

Conaider other transfer options and if need be finish your education at CUNY and then move ahead with your life.

2 Likes

I see. I understand what you’re saying and I’ll look into more schools. However, I dealt with so much in my family that I feel like I can’t stay here. Even if I graduate, I might have to stay with them because of housing prices and they are pretty controlling

With two C’s Lafayette is even reachier than my initial take. How do CUNY’s handle retakes? Do they replace grades? Only count the new grade in GPA?

Again, you will need to apply to more than just Lafayette, so put together a college list and create a spreadsheet with transfer deadlines. Your second semester grades won’t be ready until late May, and all transfer app deadlines will likely be before then. Some schools may wait for those grades before deciding, some may not.

1 Like

They do allow new grades, and I will do research. Is it okay if I ask which need based colleges have a decent Economics program?

–Once you graduate and get a job you will be financially independent and can move out. You can find roommates, get a small place, etc. It would be your choice to allow them to “control’ your life at that point.

–If you don’t think your parents will “let’” you move out after graduation, what makes you think they will support your going away to college?

–Again, I see Lafayette as a big reach academically with your GPA. I also saw that Laf said “it is optimal” to send standardized test scores for students enrolling 2027 or later – not sure how it impacts transfer applicants.

2 Likes

I don’t even know. It’s so confusing. I do love CCNY and the free money I get along with the friends I have, but it’s something I’ve been planning for a long time since I got into this school (I didn’t want to go here because of having to go back home, but I will admit my grades weren’t good). I’ll make a list and I’ll follow my plans, but I hope I can do anything to leave. I really hope it works, whatever I do.

I might sound stupid but I was hoping to increase my grades and show my parents and do more than what I usually do and they’ll see I’m ready to do it, but I’m not sure since you know how they are.