Tuition Exchange for Fall 2026 (Class of 2030)

UF updated today - denied for us :frowning:

6 Likes

I’m so sorry.

This whole process is challenging! I encouraged D26 to apply to TE schools, and we’ve had mixed results. Very good with admissions though. Holding out for the dream school–USC–and the update is taking longer than expected.

Question: on the TE website, the schools seem to report fewer enrolled students than offers made. Did they offer more than they intended like with admissions?

Wonderful news (I changed my screen name but have been engaged throughout and am happy for you!!)

Thank you so much!!

I assumed this meant that kids decided to go elsewhere and some schools (like Pitt) don’t maintain a waitlist.

1 Like

Yes, it seems like a waste, but I guess not much can be done.

Dickinson was great- not the perfect fit for D26, but I could see why people like it so much. Very pretty campus and such a nice town with great restaurants. She’s down to the final 2-3, we’re visiting Vassar this Sunday!

4 Likes

Agreed! It’s kind of infuriating.

Yes, though my son may be the example of why. We were only able to decline 1 of 4 offers, the other 3 are still contenders. He did not want to make a decision until he heard back on ALL the schools, which means he is scrambling now to figure it out. He probably will use the full period to decide and we won’t be able to decline before like 4/21.

1 Like

Yes, I understand. We’re in a similar position here with offers to American, Temple, and Pratt (top contender and stacks). We also saw an interesting pattern with TE schools offering almost the exact equivalent in merit.

Also, just based on observation from the boards, it seems like the USC TELO works on filling spots up until May 1 (Merrimom case), so that it reassuring.

1 Like

This happened to us at Drexel. The initial package was only $3K shy of the TE amount.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry! If it’s any consolation we were denied as well for UF. Hang in there!

2 Likes

Popping in to say that we are still waiting for USC FA and TE. Has anyone heard anything from them? I know there was someone else waiting on the music major thread, but this one has been pretty quiet re: USC.

Update! D26 received TE at USC! I believe it will stack with her Presidential Scholarship, so it is full tuition plus 8k towards room and board. Over the moon!

10 Likes

Congratulations! That’s awesome news!

1 Like

Holy cow that’s amazing!!! So happy for her (and you)!!!

1 Like

Posting for future families–

Here are the results for D26. I may be forgetting something because she applied to 19 schools, including many non-TE options.

Occidental: Denied TE in admissions letter but received the equivalent in merit/grant. They only have 4 or so TE scholarships per year.

LMU: Denied TE but received more in merit/grant. They notified around April 1. Only 4 TE offers.

GWU: TE waitlist and received 55k in merit/grant (another Presidential scholarship. I didn’t realize that a lot of schools use the same names for merit).

American: TE in admissions letter in mid-March. Set rate. No stacking.

Pratt: TE on April 1. Set rate plus stacked with merit for full tuition. (I really like Pratt and would have been happy to have her in Brooklyn if the first choice did not come through)

Emerson: TE waitlist with a high number listed in the notification, which was nice. Solid merit but not quite the TE rate. I have heard that they stack though. Withdrew application shortly after admissions decision. Didn’t prefer Boston over other urban choices.

Drexel: TE waitlist with almost the exact (within 700 dollars) in three merit scholarships

Temple: TE full tuition. Notified April 1.

Howard: TE denied. Listed in portal without notification. Never heard back from TELO upon inquiry. Received 1/2 tuition merit.

PITT: TE denied. Missed the Dec 1 deadline.

Fordham: Withdrew after financial aid offer since they do not stack and so expensive to live there. Did not wait for TE.

Pepperdine: TE denied in portal. Almost equivalent in merit. Withdrew soon after notification.

USC: TE notification on 4/13. Stacks with Presidential scholarship up to 8k for housing. Her first choice for several years. Very happy!

All I can say is that it is a long journey with a range of approaches to the process from the institutional perspective. This is my second child with full tuition covered (son was at Syracuse when they allowed stacking), so I have no business complaining, but it was stressful with no guarantees. I told D26 not to “fall in love” with any outcome, but this is close to impossible once they feel connected to an institution. It has been said before, but students must apply widely. There was an interesting pattern that merit offers were usually as good or better than TE, so institutions with very limited TE offers may try to make up for it. Also, stacking rules are not always clear, so you may be pleasantly surprised (and should inquire). Without stacking, TE is not usually enough to make a lot of places affordable for many families, but the good part about it is that it is not income-driven and vulnerable to decreases in the second year and beyond. Good luck to future students!

5 Likes

Thanks for this! I feel way more prepared to go into the next round with S29 in a couple years. I had no idea to apply widely and early (and erroneously believed my son when he told me the common app had a 10 school limit :roll_eyes: ).
It’s all working out in the end, as I believe we found the perfect school for him and they offered him TE equivalent in merit, but wow I wish I knew what I know now!

4 Likes