Yes! And I am so glad that it is working out for your family!
OMG that is incredible. Congrats!!!
Adding to our final stats here –
Major: CS (interested in premed)
Stevens- admitted 3/30 with $32k merit (less than TE); TE never notified (so I guess that’s denied?)
Temple - denied TE (merit was $10k)
Non TE schools applied (+ merit offered):
UMD $5k (OOS)
NJIT $28.7k
Rutgers $15.5k
UDel $13k
SJU (TE-export school)
There were also three hard reach schools that denied admission.
Still finalizing decision, but final contenders are SJU, Drexel, UMD, and Case Western…
Good luck making the final decision - some great options here!
Anyone heard from Howard and Xula? no responses from the schools or TELO.
thanks!
Check your Tuition Exchange application portal. It looks like Howard only made one offer according to their member listing, which is confusing since I thought TE schools are required to have three scholarships for their membership. We found out that TE had been denied in Feb from the TE app portal and never heard back from the TELO. I think they are new to the exchange so maybe working out their process. Also, from the Feb portal updated, I gathered that maybe they will make offers in the early action/early decision round.
Are there ever schools that just don’t get updated in the TE portal? All but one of ours are updated but one that he received TE at with his acceptance (Bard - where he is committed to) still says “Pending” on the portal. I don’t know why it makes me a little nervous to still see that “Pending.”
We were denied TE at RIT on January, waitlisted then offered then declined TE at Drexel, and offered and accepted TE at Stevens (we have this in writing from the school). So far all still say import pending. Pitt and U Del updated shortly after their denials and Syracuse update as soon as he declined his admission. Guessing that some schools are just behind administratively.
Thanks! This is good to hear.
We declined all schools (other than the one he chose) last week and I just checked and the all still say “decision pending”
USC changed today to “approved.” Pratt never changed (declined today and heard about it April 1). With USC, we had already submitted the deposit, so some may wait?
New user here….We have several strong Tuition Exchange offers in hand, but my student’s clear first-choice school denied TE and is notorious for releasing merit late (“that” school). Would you hold out hope, or accept one of the current TE offers now?
If we accept a TE spot at one college and later another school comes through (either merit or TE off a waitlist), can we switch, or does accepting usually lock everything in?
Help!
Welcome!
If your student wants to attend college in the fall at a price that these schools are currently offering (i.e. with TE), then your kid needs to accept an offer by May 1 and pay the enrollment deposit. Otherwise, those TE offers will be released and be given to other students.
As far as I know, a student can still withdraw after committing. The family will lose the deposit at the original school, but I believe that’s the extent of it. You may want to confirm that with your university’s TE rep.
Thanks for the info. As much as I don’t like putting down deposits and losing them I don’t know if he will be happy tuition exchange he is thinking of accepting. Yes, we have withdrawn from the rest of the offers from tuition exchange, but have left these two on the table.
Excuse my grammatical errors but I think you get the gist.
Does your student have any affordable offers from any college that he would be happy to attend? If so, he can commit there, even if it’s not a TE school.
If there’s a price at which you’re willing to pay for the first choice school and merit aid hasn’t been provided at this point, he may want to reach out to them and say that it’s his first choice and if the school became affordable for him, he would commit that same day. But if he’s been denied TE (not just waitlisted), I would not hold my breath for that. And if he hasn’t received any merit aid as of yet, I don’t think the odds are great for a significant merit aid offer.
Frankly, I would also spend the remaining time trying to get excited about the options he does have. Have him look into living learning communities, or clubs, or anything else that will spark his interest. It’s always great when a student can attend the school that’s been their first choice, but that doesn’t always happen. He needs to get focused on figuring out which affordable school he would be happiest at, and then build the enthusiasm for that school.
This is excellent advice.
I don’t want to provide false hope, but my son was denied tuition exchange at two schools in March and then those same schools awarded it to him in the last two weeks. The one he accepted still says Denied in the TE portal. Just for whatever it’s worth. I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.
Can you share which schools? (edited to add - CONGRATS! which I should have led with)
Well, that’s a wrap! Just to update, we committed to Drexel. (And, last evening, got additional merit from UD! Not enough to sway us, though - it was 7.5k on top of previous $13k, but still pricey for out of state). Anyway, just posting to say congratulations, we made it through! I hope all the kids have a great start next year, and wish the best to the next round of TE applicants! We will be back in a couple of years for round 2.