right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Notre Dame REA Class of 2024

Replies to: Notre Dame REA Class of 2024

• stultussumstultussum 24 replies1 threads Junior Member
    How can you see which college you were accepted into?
    · Reply · Share
  • hpcsahpcsa 647 replies31 threads Member
    edited December 2019
    @stultussum First-Year Notre Dame students declare their College in the Spring Semester and are admitted for their respective Sophomore Year. All students are admitted to Notre Dame with a general description of their future intentions. College and school intents are recorded as:

School of Architecture
    College of Arts and Letters
    Mendoza College of Business
    College of Engineering
    College of Science
    Keough School of Global Affairs.

These may appear on the Course Selection Form that you will fill out in June, but your program and major may change as you begin to take classes and learn more about your interests and strengths, as well as what a college major requires. You do not have to select the major you chose on your application, and you can change your major at any time during your first year.

The formal declaration of your future college takes place in the spring semester and requires a meeting with your first-year advisor who will help you complete the necessary paperwork. Before this meeting takes place, you will be asked to complete a set of mid-year self-reflection questions that will provide background information to help your advisor support you in making a well-informed decision about the future of your studies at Notre Dame.

edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2019
    PS: The Letter of Admission will include any pre-approval for Mendoza or the School of Architecture if you applied for one of their majors with pre-approval options.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • nkonopaseknkonopasek 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Deferred, Engineering
    Female, NC
    ACT: 35
    9 APs
    Unweighted GPA: 3.95
    Weighted: 4.45
    Lots of volunteer hours and founder of a girls engineering club at a local elementary school
    VP of Engineering Club and very active in other clubs
    NHS, NTHS, etc.
    4 year varsity athlete and 2 years as Captain of the field hockey team
    Job as civil engineer assistant
    Finalist at TSA Nationals for Structural Engineering
    Not a legacy

Notre Dame is my dream school and I am disappointed to have been deferred, but very thankful for another chance this spring. Any advice?
    · Reply · Share
  • Ez2020Ez2020 16 replies1 threads Junior Member
    From what I have been told, email your admissions officer and tell them you are still interested in ND and that it is still your first
    Choice school. Then send updates on any rank changes or volunteer work or awards you get before the regular decision release
    GOOD LUCK!
    · Reply · Share
  • PuppyMPuppyM 103 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited December 2019
    @nkonopasek Is your "ACT 35" your best composite score or your superscore? Notre Dame does superscore the ACT.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Jsnt2020Jsnt2020 6 replies0 threads New Member
    Accepted :)
    SAT 1310
    Class Rank: 1/90
    GPA UW: 4.0
    Activities: Science Team Captain, Science Club President, Editor at School Magazine, Model UN delegate, Mentor at Youth Mentorship group (for 4 years), Robotics Team,.
    Race/ethnicity: white/Hispanic
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    College Courses: Poli-Sci (GWU), Pre-Calculus (University of Puerto Rico)
    Awards: REAP Grant Recipient, R2LNextGen Scholar, YLS Scholar, Caminos Scholar, QuestBridge National College Match Finalist
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2019
    @Jsnt2020 Congratulations, well done! Did you match with Notre Dame through Questbridge? There are significant numbers of QB Scholars here at Notre Dame.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Jsnt2020Jsnt2020 6 replies0 threads New Member
    I was not matched. I got in through EA.
    · Reply · Share
  • mtnsun13mtnsun13 48 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Does anyone know about how many students usually attend the College of Science & College of Engineering Open House in February?

Also, if anyone has been in the past, how is it?
    · Reply · Share
  • Fitmom4Fitmom4 1 replies0 threads New Member
    @mtnsun13 I am wondering the same thing. Right now my son is planning on going as long as it works with his school schedule. But there are also the admitted student days in April so we were wondering, if you just choose one or the other, which is better to go to.
    · Reply · Share
  • usma87usma87 506 replies3 threads Member
    @mtnsun13 and @Fitmom4 - we went to the accepted student day. It was great! There are school specific sessions that are part of the program. I have no experience with the other one. It sounds like either would work. I would recommend attending one of them, the program is very helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • CCSavantCCSavant 114 replies0 threads Junior Member
    The REA admitted student day was extremely helpful in getting to know both the academic programs and what life would be like at Notre Dame. There were sessions for parents as well. Keep in mind that the yield on REA admits is approximately 70%, so you are likely to get a really good sense of who the actual students are going to be at Notre Dame. My son made a number of friends at the events, and they stayed in touch through the duration of the college application process through a shared social media platform. I believe 5 of the 6 students chose to attend Notre Dame and were college friends from day 1 on campus.

We also attended another EA admitted students day (Michigan) just prior to coming to Notre Dame which provided an additional perspective for the Notre Dame visit.

I think doing this early provides a long period of time to digest what the student has experienced and to reflect on the future. It also frees up time in April to visit other admitted schools during the RD round - if applicable. There are often conflicts during this month between school programs, so giving yourself more flexibility can be a real positive.

That was our experience. I have no doubt, though, that the Spring visits at Notre Dame are equally valuable.
    · Reply · Share
  • Trinity2016Trinity2016 21 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I will echo what CCSavant said. My current Notre Dame student attended the REA admitted student day for the Engineering School a few years ago and it was very helpful. The event actually occurred over a day and a half span. I noticed that many students who had friends already attending Notre Dame arranged to spend the night in the dorms. I think Notre Dame does not officially arrange dorm visits, so this was "off the books." In addition to the planned meetings for students and parents, lab tours, and students mixers, we were also able to arrange for my student to attend a couple of classes and we also attended a hockey game.

We had originally planned to skip this event, thinking that we would prioritize visits after all the acceptances and declines were received in April and make our trips then, but in the end we decided to go ahead and attend. That turned out to be the better choice, I believe. April can be very busy, and it was for us. In addition, I may have been mistaken, but it appeared that Notre Dame did not offer the same admitted students opportunities in the spring for the engineering students that they did for the REA admitted students. So at least for us, this turned out to be the only opportunity of its kind at Notre Dame, and I do not think we would have received the same sort of experience during an April visit (I believe).

It was a good feeling leaving the admitted students in early winter knowing that Notre Dame would be a good choice, regardless of what happened later. If I had to do it over again, we would definitely attend the REA admitted students day. It was worth the trip.
    · Reply · Share
  • crash71crash71 9 replies0 threads New Member
    Deferred
    Male, OH
    SAT: 1520 (780 MATH, 740 ENGLISH)
    10 APs (all 4s and 5s)
    Unweighted GPA: 3.95
    Weighted: 4.45
    National Merit Commended
    3 Year Varsity Soccer
    Model UN Officer, Math Club, German Cub
    NHS, N German HS
    Service - started a special needs soccer program/league in community
    Attended ND Summer Scholars
    Not a legacy

Keeping hope up for March!!!
    · Reply · Share
    @crash71 Viel Erfolg! Your profile looks very competitive and you should indeed look forward to the Regular Decision round. Best of luck and success!
    · Reply · Share
  • mtnsun13mtnsun13 48 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @CCSavant & @Trinity2016 - Thank you so much for the information! We are now planning to go to the College of Science & College of Engineering Open House for admitted REA students in February. The itinerary looks great. I don't think my DS could wait until April anyways. I really appreciate the feedback.
    Go Irish!
    · Reply · Share
  • ihatecollege751ihatecollege751 84 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I was rejected REA, is there anything I can do to appeal my decision to be tried again regular?
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24169 replies2426 threads Super Moderator
    @ihatecollege751 No. If they school wanted to re-evaluate your application in the RD round you would have been deferred, not rejected. Sorry.
    · Reply · Share
  • 5OnTheHill5OnTheHill 146 replies0 threads Junior Member
    nkonopasek - my daughter was deferred elsewhere and she had her school counselor reach out to admissions on her behalf to see if she could find out any details surrounding the deferral and to reiterate her passion for the school. Also, I would definitely write a letter to your specific ND admissions officer briefly detailing your sincere interest to attend and letting them know that if accepted you will attend. You could even get an additional letter of rec potentially. Basically, let them know you are passionate.
    · Reply · Share