Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

123457»

Replies to: Will "Banned" labels negatively affect CC's image?

• damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 747 Member
    On registering for this site, all users agree to abide by the rules of this forum, which are listed on the registration page, as well as at the bottom of every page on this site.
    https://auth.collegeconfidential.com/module.php/hobsonspolicies/policy.php?policy=forumrules
    https://auth.collegeconfidential.com/module.php/hobsonspolicies/policy.php?policy=tos
    Oh, I had never read the "rules" page, just the "TOS" one.

FYI. The page in the link above is older than the one linked at bottom.

Link above:
    Updated September 1, 2017
    Link below ("Rules"): https://www.collegeconfidential.com/policies/rules
    Updated February 1, 2018
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,973 Senior Member
    I opened this site to post something just now...and the new terms of service appeared first. Maybe this was an accident, but I think it’s not a bad idea for everyone to see this update since it is new as of February 1...before they continue.

Is it possible to have this as the default open screen for new members...and for all for a couple of weeks?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,973 Super Moderator
    @thumper1 Unless it's a typo, it's now 2019. I have no idea what the difference is. My post above is a cut and paste from a template I keep, but I've updated it for my own records. But I agree that some type of announcement should be made on these updates. @CCadmin_Sorin ?
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    edited March 8
    @skieurope How is CC's policy of not allowing individuals to delete old posts compliant with GDPR and the "right to be forgotten" rulings of the European Union? These regulations are binding on US companies if they operate or do business in the EU, and the parent company of CC is enforcing these regulations on other platforms. Just curious as GDPR is very much in the news these days.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,973 Super Moderator
    @exlibris97 That's a question for @CCadmin_Sorin
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 2,371 Community Manager
    @exlibris97, after a thorough analysis, College Confidential has determined that GDPR does not apply to our activities and thus we are not required to make any changes to our Privacy Policy or Terms of Service. Thanks!
    ^ Probably because the users are anonymous.
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    edited March 13
    @CC admin_Sorin Thank you for your response, though it escapes me how CC could have done a "through analysis" and consulted the relevant legal counsel in less than 24 hours. In any event, I've written to the UK Data Commissioner and asked that the issue be formally addressed. I just today received a reply saying that the British Government has accepted my query and that it is being referred to appropriate authorities for investigation.

@damon30 Anonymity is an interesting issue. The EU has rejected that argument when advanced by Reddit.
    @CC admin_Sorin Thank you for your response, though it escapes me how CC could have done a "through analysis" and consulted the relevant legal counsel in less than 24 hours.

A nimble and responsive legal team? At any rate, expect him to take longer to get back to you in the future. That way, it will make it seem like he has given your request more consideration.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    @exlibris97, every company’s legal department investigated thoroughly long ago what, if any, impact GDPR had on its business operations, whether changes were required to privacy policies, etc. I’m sure this conclusion wasn’t reached in 24 hours.

So what has you so concerned about this site that you had to flag this for the UK Data Commissioner?
123457»