Cal Poly SLO Freshman Class of 2030 Discussion Thread

Oh I totally agree - my daughter is going to be heartbroken

3 Likes

My daughter is so frustrated that she doesn’t even care if she gets in anymore. She has another school pursuing her, Honors College, scholarships vs this garbage.

7 Likes

Would not be surprised that it’s all rejections/waitlist from here on out. What’s even more frustrating is the $70 fee for no holistic review, no review of essays or LORs, or extra-curriculars. It’s a straight up formula/impaction index. They’ve already known for a few weeks now who’s in/out/maybe. It’s just disappointing.

5 Likes

I wish there was a way to provide feedback on how this makes kids feel. It’s my daughter’s #1 with a very specific major, so it will be hard to get over.

5 Likes

And with the fact that it is computational…they should have announced two months ago.

We did meet the regional admissions rep and I plan to reach out to her and provide feedback once this is over.

7 Likes

No skin in this game but agree, at the very least they must have a pile of definite rejects already - why prolong the agony and not let the kids move on?

8 Likes

My memory of CalPolySLO decisions from two years ago when my son applied was that there seemed to be several weeks between everyone hearing back from CalPolySLO. Like 2-3 weeks?

I, as a parent whom went through the SLO decision process in 2013 and 2014 with my own kids, want to attest to the fact that the process has not changed much since that time although the decisions started in Mid-February through Early March vs. now which is March through April 1.

Every year applicants and parents are frustrated with the SLO Decision process and it is understandable and every year the process remains unchanged. Maybe the whole agonizing process needs to highlighted on the top page for each class discussion so there are no surprises from the beginning. I do try to capture the decision timeline as accurately as possible so everyone knows what is coming.

5 Likes

I don’t have dates in front of me, do you recall if in past years if decisions really spanned about 2 weeks or as long as 3 weeks?

I think we all know and we all appreciate all you do @Gumbymom. It’s just hard to watch our kids wait, knowing the chances are very slim of being good news.

4 Likes

Yes, I know it is hard watching your kids wait and not know the outcome. Better to rip off the bandage quickly than slowly.

5 Likes

The longest that SLO has gone between the major admit wave and the major waitlist wave was 14 days in 2023 and the final denial wave has posted as late as March 30. For 2025, it was about a week between each major wave and over a 3 week period.

4 Likes

This is what I find frustrating. It’s a formula. No essays or even a portfolio (for DD major), yet this answer may be the last she gets - past ivy day!

1 Like

Just saw this on Reddit

4 Likes

My feedback: “Hey Cal Poly, congrats on the application volume. Reminder that it is year 2026 and, considering you do not incorporate subjective data in your applications, perhaps hire one of your math students to write a simple algorithm to do the math for you and shorten your timeline by 90%. Just throwing something out there.”

10 Likes

I saw that post too.

If they say that they are releasing decisions in batches then we would be hearing results more every few days or so.

It seems to be they do big waves -an accept wave (3/12/26, a waitlist wave (not yet happened, guessing this week any day now), and a reject wave (guessing in last days of March?). Just guessing, I’m no expert.

It’s been 12 days since really any notable decisions - at least that I’ve seen. That feels LONG.

1 Like

Not to be that person, but that is the standard answer every year when students inquire about the decision dates. The only thing that changes is the number of applications.

5 Likes

Yes, and sadly I think all their canned responses are only giving people false hope, which feels cruel.

7 Likes

Agree! It is frustrating bc spring break is in like a week or two and people need to know their decisions in order to plan where to visit.

3 Likes