Chance S26 for ED2 at NYU Econ (CAS, Policy), Emory Bus/Fin, Boston College Bus/Fin

Based on reputation I would think Kelley would be higher on the IB list but not multiples better. There are more knowledgeable people on CC concerning IB.

I’m curious to see what Fordham and SMU offer. Those two were high on S20’s list.The BBA Scholar at SMU is a great perk. Smaller classes and direct admission were high wants on his list.

1 Like

Why ? What’s the basis for this. I’m not saying it’s wrong. Just wondering the basis for the statement. Has he looked at IBIS at ASU ?

here’s a few links - PSU career report and IBIS, which has career data or at least placements.

Have you considered Babson (less reachy than NYU but is in per capita IB outcomes as NYU…or Bentley - if you want someone to their level of effectiveness ?

https://www.smeal.psu.edu/scis/programs/2024_undergrad_employment_report_scis_mis.pdf

Agree that IBIS at WP Carey looks real good, we just need to figure the process of making the cut. Looks this process of making it to competitive programs within various business schools is going to be crucial for all the large business schools (>1000 grads/yr) like IU Kelley, Smeal etc.

I didn’t mean Smeal was better objectively, just what was on S26’s mind. S26 attended a PSU event in early Oct, and has not been to Tempe campus yet. After Smeal admit came he has been asking which RD Apps we should drop so we decided to analyze UW Madison.

Here is a link that we used for nomenclature of target vs semi-target school. S26 is not hung-up on IB yet either, maybe a bit early for him to chose, hope he figures it out by Sophomore year.

S26 wants a medium/larger univ campus with min of 8-10K undergrads and thus Babson was out.

He may determine Smeal is. I’m not saying it’s not. I’m just wondering what his basis for that statement is. Is it because he liked PSU best? Is it because he thinks it will be best to IB? It might be. I don’t think so - if you look on linked in and most any school, you’ll find kids.

I think it’s great - just was wondering the basis of, what I personally think are subs - but you’ve determined a rank.

That he has is good - because in the end, you’ve got to choose one. But I’d rather him choose the school where he has the most comfort, where he visits and feels - I’m home!!

I’m not sure one can say Penn State is “better” than ASU, Ilinois, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pitt - whoever else is on your list.

But - certainly one can be better for the student - and that’s where i’d want to be assuming no budget/cost concerns.

This is the hard part - you get into so many - you’ve then got to make a choice!! But if he has of the current - that it’s Penn State - I think it’s great - if it’s for the right reason (that it fits him, not that he thinks it’s better as it’s not - for some it will be, for others it won’t be, etc).

The Peak list - lists 60s - but guess what, I can find IB alums at U Houston, Rutgers, Bing, Va Tech, W&M, TCU, Arizona Alabama, and so many more - so I understand - some will produce more than others - but I’m personally not of the belief that only those on a list can get hired. And while some obviously know more than others, banking is a huge field - so nobody knows about the entire industry. It’d be impossible - that’s my belief anywhere.

Babson is too small - has he considered (still not huge) SMU, TCU, Elon, U Denver , W&M….schools like that. Maybe not all quite big enough 8k - but still sizable.

Whatever your son decides to do in life, if he’s persistent, efficient, smart and polished, he’ll be great!! All these schools will produce studs….and those who struggle - and that includes your potential EDs too.

Good luck.

1 Like

Agree that there is no objective ranking possible and no internet post should be used as a standard.

We are not at the ranking all the admits stage yet or looking for new places to apply, just trying to figure out whether UW Madison App in RD round (that was in our original list) still makes sense when we have a Smeal admit.

1 Like

It does if he might prefer it.

If you’ve been to neither, then it does if he’s willing to put in the work - so when you visit, you can see. They are different.

PSU is gorgeous. It’s in the middle of nowhere. Other than maybe Va Tech, which I think is the nicest big school in America, in my opinion Ole Main - is just gorgeous itself. But I’m not a fan of the area. That’s me. UW is nice (not as nice IMHO) but the area is much better.

But that’s me. Your son may disagree.

So your son will have to visit. Also, don’t forget, different schools are different - even in size - whereas an IU is huge, Wisconsin is about 4,000. I believe but you can confirm that Fisher is much smaller.

But if he’s not visited any, he has interest, and it’s within budget - is it worth an app? I’d say absolutely.

That way you have flexibility - if he gets in you can consider it but if you don’t apply and wish later you did. you couldn’t reverse the decision.

It does have an extra essay - if he’s like, yep I’ll write it - then great. If he’s like, no more essays….well then his decision would be made…so that’s another way to determine worth of applying.

Don’t forget, he’s only going to one - so is it worth it? In the end, one will be and the other 7 or 10 - maybe not :slight_smile: But it didn’t hurt.

Good luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.