No problem, and I want to emphasize you sound like a great kid who is thinking about things very sensibly. I would bet on you doing well no matter where you end up next.
It is also worth noting that when it comes to US graduate program admissions, that works much more like Internationals typically expect. It can also be expensive, but there can sometimes be fellowships and/or research/teaching positions that cover your costs. So even if the US doesn’t make sense for you for the next step, maybe it will for the step after that.
Yeah, I have that plan in mind too. If I have no way but to study in local colleges, I would very much take all preparations to make my post grad programs in a US college if the luck favors.
And nice talking to you too! The insights from you were really valuable to think it through!
In addition to the very few schools that meet full need for international students, there are individual schools that offer scholarships to international students. Some are quite specific (female, from specific countries or regions, etc.) and some do not cover room and board. Two that I know of off the top of my head that offer full scholarships are:
I don’t think it’s easier in the US because summer internships are extremely competitive and focus on upperclassmen who have taken junior level courses; on-campus jobs are limited and usually deal with food prep/ distribution.
On campus jobs aren’t meant for you to gain experience in your field. You’ll be pouring coffee or busing tables or working campus shops. Some are positions in various labs on campus. You will learn practical experience and dealing with people.
I have a son and a daughter in CS.
Right now, my daughter‘s company is not hiring new CS grads. They just don’t have the work contracts They are cautiously re-hiring laid off workers at a piecemeal rate.
My son‘s company wants a minimum of five years experience before they’ll even consider taking a look at the resumes. He’s been on interview teams and they won’t even consider international candidates. The work contracts have dried up so they’re keeping the staff that they have and don’t want to lose.
I would suggest that you focus on local educational opportunities or check in Europe but finding 100% funding is a huge obstacle.
Yes, that is a huge concern I see. I definitely need to keep that in mind. Although CS job sectors are projected to see more room for hiring due to the missing talent pipeline among the tech companies, there is no guarantee of stability in the CS sector right now. But I still believe that breaking into the tech industry would be easier from US than here locally because of the hostile environment for innovation we face here.
Another option I want to explore is Student loans. Does that increase my odds to some extent? Because universities with full ride have acceptance rates below 10%. So I thought if I could apply to a university with a bit more generous acceptance rate but still low enough costs after some scholarships that doesn’t exceed $100,000? Do you have a University in mind?
So some US colleges will admit Internationals without really knowing what they can pay, but then you will still need to show you can pay in order to actually get a visa and matriculate.
If I interpret you correctly, you are asking if any of those colleges could be as low as $25K/year, and the answer is possibly yes, at least with realistically attainable merit scholarships.
If you look around, people have periodically reported on lists of possible leads. You need to make sure to investigate that the relevant costs and scholarship programs still apply to your cycle.
But here, for example, is Alabama:
Your SAT would seem to qualify you for the second-highest level, Presidential, at $28,000/year.
This is then their International COA page:
Please double check this, but I believe you would not necessarily need to cover the Summer costs if you started in a normal Fall cycle (see note). So I believe that is $51,676, minus $28,000 which is $23,676, which is just under what I believe you were suggesting you might be able to get from other sources.
But again, I believe you would need to prove it to get a visa.
Please remember that if you were to attend a US school, you return back to your country 4 years later. Yes, there might be opportunities for OPT, but at this point I don’t see that happening because of the glut that we have now with layoffs.
As far as loans are concerned, you need to have a US citizen, with collateral, willing to cosign a loan for you, and who would be willing to repay that loan.
Seeking a loan of $100,000, divided by four years, would be $25,000 a year and I don’t see that rate happening, at any school as an international student.
Some schools don’t even have CS programs. We have over 3000 colleges and universities in the US. Those schools have to employ staff in various fields. Not every school can afford CS instructors.
All you can do is apply but know that your chances are really slim of getting admitted with funding.
Where will the money come from? The current political and financial environment is limiting.
Every school is watching its budget. Some colleges are closing because they can’t afford to operate.
THIS^ is the key question.
Depending on your answer there may be a path for you.
In addition, did you get A* in ANY non science subject at OLevel?
What’s your favorite Non academic things to do (e.g., street cricket, knitting, finding treasure, visiting museums, building a log cabin with friends ..)
You should factor in, if you get any loans, how long it might take you to repay them earning your local currency back home. Don’t forget to look at a proper amortization table to take the capitalized interest into account. There is almost no situation where it makes sense to take out US$ loans for the country with the most expensive education in the world if you come from a developing country (or often even if you come from another developed country).