Parents of the HS Class of 2026 (Part 2)

We loved the campus too! It was raining that day which made it look prettier imo. Didn’t know about the Grateful Dead museum, will check it out for sure!

Congratulations on UCSD!! Such a great school!

I agree those stuffed banana slugs are so cute :grinning_face:

1 Like

Congratulations! Sorry the ignoramuses are trying to steal your joy. Do not let them! UCSC is fantastic. Great campus. Amazing one of a kind setting. Great education for a good price. Proximity to so much incredible stuff. Tons of Californians would pick Santa Cruz over Purdue and moving to Indiana. And some of my favorite people and colleagues went to UCSC. Your kid made a great choice!

4 Likes

More on the final 2 saga! Emails have been sent with additional questions to both schools. We discussed it today –and one school is very ‘comfortable’ – it would be an easy transition but it’s ‘boring/quieter’. She’d likely be one of the more adventurous students there. The other one would be a stretch and a bigger risk - but more exciting. She’d likely be one of hte least adventurous students there! Both are similar in terms of academic difficulty. I can see why the decision is so difficult.

9 Likes

Thank you!! Hoping your kiddo has made some headway in her college decisions. Can’t wait to see where she lands!

Thanks. Whether she has made headway or not, I have zero idea. She doesn’t want to talk to us about it again until she meets with her college counselor. So, no updates for me until the weekend I think. By then there will be less than a week to the deadline. So, we’ll see.

2 Likes

Long time lurker, first time commenter in this particular forum, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone this cycle for all of the suggestions and positivity. What a great community. DS has given us the signal a decision has been made. 26 apps, 20 acceptances, 10 visits, 3 wonderful schools made finalists, lots of hard conversations, tons of laughs, essays revised and reworked. All down to tonight. Can’t wait to find out. Best of luck to all of you and your families.

16 Likes

Ugh, I am so done with prom drama! Why do they have to set who’s at their table for prom?! I don’t need this nonsense in my life less than a month before graduation.

Also, apparently half the senior girls have decided there is only one acceptable boys in the senior class and they all want to go with him.

And a rumor started going around yesterday that prom is going to be cancelled if more people don’t buy tickets. Prom is less than two weeks away, I feel like cancelling at this point is just mean.

10 Likes

I’m right there with ya. Very very soon, none of that is going to matter.

(disclaimer: if your kid is totally into this sort of thing, I fully support their right to decorate however they want & you should skip over this whole post)

My Gen X inner core self is coming out to play today. Because as I’ve been looking at more of the stuff parents are selling on their college students’ behalf on D26’s college’s FB group for stuff to buy/sell/give away, HOLY COW…why do some college students have to have framed art prints for their dorm room?

Dude…you’re only going to live in the room for 10 months. One parent is asking $160 for 6 framed prints.

(get ready for the ‘back in my day’ moment)

Back in my day, back in the Stone Age of the early 90s going to college, there was no framed art work on the wall. Nobody had framed anything. You used tape to attach your band or movie posters to the wall of your room.

My parents got me a shower caddy, a couple of towels, bed linens, and a bedspread. That was it. The rest of it? Figure it out on your own, kiddo, good luck.

Never would have occurred to them to go and buy extra furniture to put in my dorm room. Like the bright turquoise blue/green satiny desk chair I saw for sale. Or curtains. Hanging curtains for your kid’s room. Nope. Not doing that.

And you can forget about the whole “each kid in the room has to match the decor of the roommate.” I don’t understand that either. I’ve asked both of my DDs about it and they both have said, “Uh, why would we decorate exactly like our roommates?”

Some people must spend thousands of $$ on all of this. Kind of blows me away sometimes. Like, why does the coffee maker have to be the same color as the dorm fridge?

I’ve seen some crazy photos online of girls’ dorm rooms from SEC schools where it’s like a home decorating magazine threw up all over the room. Don’t get me wrong…it looks great but it’s also super over the top. In one photo I saw, they had a 2-seater couch, coffee table, and 3 additional chairs to sit on in addition to the desk chairs (which were new/brought in from outside the college by the students).

I think maybe I’ve just been living under a rock all this time. Maybe it’s because of the nature of the high school my kids have attended…the students there all tend to embrace an attitude of “you be your own unique self and it doesn’t matter if you march to the beat of a different drum.” So like, hey, you’re into Japanese anime & manga and want to put anime posters all over your wall? GO FOR IT! Your friend wants to put up framed pink prints on their wall w/ivy garlands & twinkle lights? GO FOR IT!

You have both of that in the same dorm room? GO FOR IT!

…but it doesn’t all have to match. Variety & diversity is the spice of life.

Like…WHEN did it suddenly become a part of a girl’s “I must have the quintessential college experience” mindset that they have to have ALL of the things? maybe it’s an IG/Tiktok thing?

</end complaint session>

Thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Congrats to your S! There is going to be a lot of noise from others who think they know what’s best for your S that you must ignore. He’s excited about his choice and that’s all that matters!

3 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about because I have all boys and when my first 2 went to college, they did not have anything on their wall at all :rofl: and nothing matched because they did not care. :rofl:

I’m always in awe of some girls’ dorms - so pretty with all the matching things. It sure makes the room comfy and homey. I guess anything to help their kids to feel at home? I can’t imagine how pricey it all must be in the end though!

4 Likes

This is how my kid insists on doing it. She even wants to use blue tacky stuff to put up whatever random posters she decides to get. Works for me!

3 Likes

D19 sounds ready to commit to NYU for grad school. I know it’s a great program for her but I’m still very disappointed that she’s not choosing Chicago…but I can’t say that to her, obviously. So you’re all getting my :broken_heart:

16 Likes

I feel you, believe me. Mine just had prom last weekend – and although it ended okay, and the kid came home happy, there was definitely some ugly drama that went down. I don’t even want to detail it here because it’s such stupid high school stuff – but I am so done, and my kid is SO ready to move on.

Seven more days of school!

6 Likes

Ugh. (I mean, NOT “ugh” – NYU is obvs a fantastic school!)

You can’t even throw in a “wouldn’t it be so nice to be close to C26 so we can do whole-family visits?”

:smiley:

3 Likes

Although not the one you would’ve preferred :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: , congratulations to you guys!! So happy for her!

2 Likes

Oh, I did that before already!

1 Like

Seniority, ■■■ is wrong with people? These kids work their tails off and should be celebrated when they make THEIR decision. Ugh. So sorry that you and especially your son have to hear anything other than excitement.

5 Likes

I’m an alum and live NYU. I moved here for undergrad and never left! I hope she has a similarly wonderful experience.