Parents of the HS Class of 2026 (Part 2)

Awesome!

1 Like

That was a big deal for S26 as well he’s taking his trombone with him and already looking at the UCD marching or jazz bands. They have a lot of different ensembles. Who knows we might be seeing our kids in the same concerts next year.

I also found the major changes a big draw, when I asked at UCSB if it was possible they were upfront that for CS/engineering majors it was impossible. At UCD a few students told me they had friends that no issues switching into the engineering majors.

5 Likes

That’s huge!! Congrats! What a relief, and YAY for marching band!

I saw that yesterday was a miserable rainy day in Houston. Ughgh.

3 Likes

Wow - egad - and congrats!! I’m sure you have whiplash, lol, but sounds like she made a thoughtful decision, and sounds like she’ll thrive there!

The flexibility in major/scheduling classes (and opportunity to march, and cost, and housing, and weather, LOL) was a key factor in my D26’s decision as well, as she also is unsure exactly what she wants to study.

2 Likes

The number of comments we get about both kids going to Duke…
I just say “yeah I’m never retiring lol.”

Nobody knows how much need based aid we are receiving, nor do they need to.

11 Likes

It’s on his list but he will finish undergrad in ‘28 and now is considering working a couple years before starting law school.

I guess that’s a new trend?

1 Like

I have been religiously reading amazing posts and discussions on college decisions.

S26 was accepted from the waitlist this morning at UCLA in CS major. We are all very excited and grateful. Now he has a decision to make; let go of UCSD and accept UCLA or not. I think he’s leaning UCLA.

S26 had finally decided/ landed on UCSD in the last few days, after visiting NYU and UMass last week. Must say that UMass dining options are amazing! Food and vibe are quite important to S26.

Feeling very relieved that this admission chapter is ending and now onwards to dorms and first year challenges!

23 Likes

Nor is it anyone’s business but your own!

8 Likes

The food and vibes at UCLA are immaculate, according to D22 :joy:

Not exactly a new trend but highly recommended if you want to attend a top tier law school. It helps to get accepted and law firms like work experience.

Only about 20% of law students are “K-JD”.

1 Like

Yes! My S22 is here and he is a mentor for the team. We have quite a few alumni mentors. Not all from our team either. We just happen to be close to where they live.

2 Likes

So much excitement today! I can’t imagine coming off the wait-list and having to make a new decision after just making a hard decision!

5 Likes

So……. in yet another twist, when D sat down at the computer to decommit from UBC, she could not bring herself to do it. I will not even attempt to describe the horrible, awful, no-good, heart wrenching hours that followed… but in the end, Davis was the school that lost out and it has now been decommitted and we are back to… going to Canada!
:evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

Yes :face_with_spiral_eyes:

26 Likes

Oh gosh!!

2 Likes

For laughs, here is one of my posts from Part 1 of this thread, October 2023,

So I did expect that this part of the process would not be easy, but I didn’t expect THIS much difficulty. Whew. Done? (I hope)

15 Likes

Poor kid!

Of course it is a “good problem” to have options in life, and plenty of folks would be happy to trade places with those who do, but it’s not easy at 18 to have to make what feels like one of the most momentous choices we get in this journey.

I sometimes worry that my support in this process made it even harder for my kids; my own parents’ involvement was moderate in comparison, and I don’t think I worried or thought about it as much. On the other hand, I also borrowed too much money because I went to the most famous school that admitted me rather than the best fit.

And on the third hand, my own son’s choice this year was made easier by his big brother, who told him, “They’re all colleges. The peers institutions do most of the same stuff. It’s up to you to make the place work. Don’t get too hung up on the whole Cinderella myth.”

8 Likes

Also, ditto on the Greek warning, though I’d widen it to caution about drinking in general. I serve on a grand jury once a year, and the number of people whose lives are ruined because of things they wouldn’t have done sober, and the number who were victimized by those drunken behaviors, are at least half the cases.

I’m not a puritan, but excess drinking is nothing to romanticize or celebrate. A lot of Greek organizations center drinking, but they’re not alone. College campuses aren’t the only places where dangerous excessive drinking happens, but they’re about the only places where the authorities facilitate and protect it. It’s the thing I worry about the most.

9 Likes

Ohhh my word. Maybe she really wanted to go to UBC but felt compelled to pick the “better on paper” school that she’d been intrigued by for a long time?

The good news is she’ll be able to get a solid education at either school. I hope she comes to peace with her choice and settles in soon!

I feel for you, though. I would be slowly going nuts, lol. :sweat_smile: :zany_face:

2 Likes

My daughter struggled a lot too with #2 decline! It’s hard!

But then on Friday my daughter reached out to the Macalester advisor she had asked a 1000 questions (when she was deciding which school) to tell her thank you and let her know she had chosen Mac. The advisor wrote back a really nice message welcoming her to the school. It really made my daughter feel happy with her choice.

18 Likes

Wow! I thought we had a wild ride, but that’s nothing compared to yours! I hope she is happy and can find some peace now that she’s made a decision.

3 Likes